Innovative Marine Aquariums

Diver's Pony Paradise - New photos! (pg. 64)

Felicia

I love the looks of the star grass but I think it would get too tall for what I'm wanting. If it stayed short, that would be ideal!!!!!

Take a picture of the vice with the new lighting when you get a chance :).

Yeah, it does get pretty tall. I like the palm caulerpa a lot. I'm just staying on top of pruning it so it doesn't take over :) I'm going to get some new photos later today. I'll try to get some of the vice zoas. They're a bit difficult to photograph though since they're a long ways back from the glass and sort of behind the spiral wires. I'll do my best!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, lighting is always the most expensive part of this hobby! You sure got a deal on that setup! Wow! I think most of the big angels need like 250 gallons or more. They need REALLY big tanks, especially to keep more than one. I'd love to have a big 500 gallon FOWLR someday for angels, a puffer, and a big moray. Then I'll have smaller reef tanks. Ha! I think butterflies are a great plan. They're super pretty fish. Any specific species you really want?

I sure did, but it wasn't without its flaws, unfortunately. The big angels get really big, and they swim a lot on top of that. 500 would be an awesome tank, but how about a little bigger so you can put some nice sharks in there, and swim with them haha!

I like all of the butterflies really. I am partial to threadfins though, other than that, it's really what the LFS has when I show up!

In terms of keeping my tank so clean, the big part is there are just so many things in my tank that eat the food, so I never have food sitting and decaying. I've got a serious cleanup crew with tons of snails, ~10 hermits, and 3 nano serpent stars that do a great job grabbing any food the seahorses miss. I also have the two jawfish that snatch up most of the food the seahorses miss. Then on top of that, I've got enough NPS corals and macroalgaes to suck a lot of the nutrients out of the water. I run quite a bit of filtration: a media rack with floss, Chemipure Elite, Purigen, and Phosguard; a small skimmer; dual media reactors with carbon and GFO; a refugium chamber with more macroalgae. And then, I do weekly 15% water changes. All of that seems to maintain good water quality.

I'm definitely lacking on the clean up crew side, but I do have a really nice skimmer...and that's really all I have. I should add a filter sock thing on my inflow (to the sump) but since my sump is actually a modded wet dry filter, I don't have too much space or water flow in there for any chemical filtration to really be effective. I do 15 gallon water changes a month, I could bump it up to 20 a month.

Tank is looking quite awesome with the new light! ? For you... Does your jawfish cpl ever fight? Like bite each other and go at then just act fine and fight each other over food. Defiantly some unique fish lol

The new light look so sleek and the colors on everything look great! That light was a win win on so many levels. Less energy, heat, cords, less stress on ponies when it goes on/off etc... congrats! So have you had a chance to play with the color of it at all and find the right balance of white & blue? Also, great to see the red finger showing some good PE :)

• 2 weeks later...

Felicia! I bet you were on your skiing trip you mentioned prior last time. Hope you're having fun there and hope the tank is being taken care of. ;)

She's in Canada!!! With lots of snow :).

She did. In Canada. Maybe she'll post some photos here when she has time. I've seen them on FB. :)

Very nice! :)

Canada sounds like so much fun ahaha.

Lol well I hope she's in British Columbia because I. Ontario we had a major ice storm, tres are coated with an inch of ice it's not pretty

... Okay it is very pretty but people have no power ... I do lol

Lol well I hope she's in British Columbia because I. Ontario we had a major ice storm, tres are coated with an inch of ice it's not pretty

I don't remember where. I do remember a photo with ice in the background though. It looked very pretty :).

Didn't u have a pair of the blue neon and yellow stripe gobies from saltwaterfish? What happened with them? I was thinking of ordering a pair this week because kpaquatics is closed right now and I want some fish in this tank!

Here are those pictures of the ice storm we hadpost-79083-0-73366800-1388180086_thumb.jpg

post-79083-0-76837600-1388180120_thumb.jpgthis one is my favourite since you can see the individual snowflakes

post-79083-0-55813900-1388180237_thumb.jpg

And my dads gas tank cover

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made it from the beginning! I love your tank and it seriously made me not so afraid to start the seahorse build!!!

You went through the whole thread?! Wow! That's impressive :) Thank you! I'm glad you like it! As long as you put the thought and planning into setting up the system right, keeping the seahorses really isn't any more difficult than a regular reef tank.

Tank is looking quite awesome with the new light! ? For you... Does your jawfish cpl ever fight? Like bite each other and go at then just act fine and fight each other over food. Defiantly some unique fish lol

Thank you! I'm loving the new light on this tank. I actually don't really ever see my jawfish couple fight. They compete a bit for food but I never see them bite at each other or chase each other or anything. I just wish I could get them to spawn! It would be so cool to see one of them carrying the eggs around in its mouth since they're mouth brooders. They're very cool little fish! So much personality :) I hope yours are doing well!

The new light look so sleek and the colors on everything look great! That light was a win win on so many levels. Less energy, heat, cords, less stress on ponies when it goes on/off etc... congrats! So have you had a chance to play with the color of it at all and find the right balance of white & blue? Also, great to see the red finger showing some good PE :)

The light was definitely a smart upgrade for this tank. It was nice to be able to take the fans off the tank that I had running all the time and I've already seen a drop in my electric bill. The color is really nice and I like that I can set it to have different color balances throughout the day. Most of the time its really white like I like it, but in the morning and evening I have it turn more blue to make some of the other colors pop. The seahorses seem much happier now that the light comes on and off gradually. I played with it some before the holidays and got it how I like it, but I may still tweak some of the time point settings a bit. Its definitely fun to play with! There are too many options! My fingers are both still pretty touchy. Some days they have great PE and other days not much at all. They seem to be doing well though!

Glad to see you finally got your light. Looking forward to some more pics under that light once you get it dialed in.

I've got new photos for you guys this evening! :)

Hey Felicia, loving the tank.

How's your little planted tank doing? I have some bad news about mine.

Thanks! I love it too :) My little planted tank is doing great. I brought it home for the holidays and haven't had a chance to take it back to work yet, so its currently in my kitchen at home. I'll put up a new photo of it in a bit. Oh no! What happened with yours?

Felicia! I bet you were on your skiing trip you mentioned prior last time. Hope you're having fun there and hope the tank is being taken care of. ;)

Yep! Lots of traveling for the holidays and I've been busy! I did have a lot of fun, thanks! I hope you enjoyed the holidays and had fun as well :)

Yep, I was in Banff, Alberta. It was pretty cold while I was there, but luckily no big storms and not too much ice, so we were able to drive around easily. It was super pretty but man was I happy to get back to the warmth. It was 70 and sunny here in Berkeley today and I was outside in shorts and a T-shirt in January!

wow i just found this tank. gorgeous! i like the xmas tree worm rock haha

Thank you so much! That Christmas tree worm rock was one of my favorite finds. Its so unique and cool. Luckily its still doing really well in my tank. I'd read they were one of those things that didn't do too well in tanks, but all my worms are still alive. I just make sure to broadcast feed plenty of PhytoPlex and Marine Snow for them.

So pictures of learning to ski?

I didn't get any photos of me learning to ski since my whole family was learning and no one was stable enough to be taking photos while trying to ski :lol: I took lots of photos from the vacation though, so I'll post those in a bit!

Didn't u have a pair of the blue neon and yellow stripe gobies from saltwaterfish? What happened with them? I was thinking of ordering a pair this week because kpaquatics is closed right now and I want some fish in this tank!

Hey! Great to see you back on NR! I guess you got super busy with school?

I did. I had them in the QT with the jawfish and they had an ich outbreak and didn't make it. I've notice small gobies seem to be pretty prone to ich. The two blue neon gobies in my main tank also had an ich outbreak right after I got them and they didn't look like they were going to make it, but luckily they pulled through. They're great little fish, just be aware there could be an ich issue.

Here are those pictures of the ice storm we hadattachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpgthis one is my favourite since you can see the individual snowflakes

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And my dads gas tank cover

Great photos! Pretty but I bet its inconvenient. I'm glad you guys at least still had your power!

Thank you so much! That Christmas tree worm rock was one of my favorite finds. Its so unique and cool. Luckily its still doing really well in my tank. I'd read they were one of those things that didn't do too well in tanks, but all my worms are still alive. I just make sure to broadcast feed plenty of PhytoPlex and Marine Snow for them.

Nice. That's what I read too, but most of what I read was really old. I even read that they reproduced in someone's tank though, so hopefully they might do the same for you!

Archived