SaltCritters.com

Diver's Pony Paradise - New photos! (pg. 64)

Felicia

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update Time!!!

New FTS 2/25/14

IMG_4905Edit.jpg

IMG_5004Edit.jpg

New photosynthetic gorgs!

IMG_4912Edit.jpg

IMG_4988Edit.jpg

Purple/blue encrusting, photosynthetic sponge. Its grown a ton already! Eddie, I'm going to need to frag it soon and I'll be sending the frag your way!

IMG_4952Edit.jpg

Mushies!

IMG_4932Edit.jpg

Spirals!

IMG_4949Edit.jpg

IMG_4951Edit.jpg

IMG_4965Edit.jpg

Zoanthids

IMG_4956Edit.jpg

Misty

IMG_4985Edit.jpg

I'm working on a new video right now! So stay tuned everyone :)

Thank you! :)

Video Time!

Sorry its a bit long :)

Gotta bump this eye kandy to the new page!

Damnn this tank is such a colorful piece of art clap2.gif The ponies and corals are looking better than ever, and i see some nice growth going on in there! The video was a treat as usual. Thanks for the top down shot, it's always so enjoyable viewing everything from that angle. You could really see just how awesome your ric garden is from that perspective. Gawd i need to figure out this hatching BBS thang,arghh. My first attempt was a epic fail. It was so cool seeing the seahorses feast live like that! I'm sure the spirals and other kandys really enjoyed it also. I know it's supper easy, i'm just a noob/lazy like that i guess. Bluezoo sells and ships them, i wonder how long i could keep them alive for in a 3g pico with airstone. There portion of them is quite large.

Whats the deal on that new extra fluffy gorg?! I absolutely love that piece! Is that the same one as gena has in her pico? If that's KP, i'm ordering from them next week and i'm totally gotta have one and some of those B) micro basket starfish they just collected.

I loved that video! Watched it on FB this morning :). Gorgeous tank!!!!! You and Zia have done amazing work with these seahorse tanks!!!!!

Whats the deal on that new extra fluffy gorg?! I absolutely love that piece! Is that the same one as gena has in her pico? If that's KP, i'm ordering from them next week and i'm totally gotta have one and some of those B) micro basket starfish they just collected.

Looks like a corky finger gorg. I think that's what it's called on Aquascaper's site. It's an encrusting gorgonia that actually grows in a mat, like GSP. Lots of people confuse it for GSP.

This is my guess anyways. It's way more fluffy than the finger gorg I have in my pico. Mine is more like the one she has on the right side of the tank, in back. :)

Them Jawfishy's!!! :)

They really are such awesome fish! How is your pair doing? I need to go check out your thread :)

Gotta bump this eye kandy to the new page!

Damnn this tank is such a colorful piece of art clap2.gif The ponies and corals are looking better than ever, and i see some nice growth going on in there! The video was a treat as usual. Thanks for the top down shot, it's always so enjoyable viewing everything from that angle. You could really see just how awesome your ric garden is from that perspective. Gawd i need to figure out this hatching BBS thang,arghh. My first attempt was a epic fail. It was so cool seeing the seahorses feast live like that! I'm sure the spirals and other kandys really enjoyed it also. I know it's supper easy, i'm just a noob/lazy like that i guess. Bluezoo sells and ships them, i wonder how long i could keep them alive for in a 3g pico with airstone. There portion of them is quite large.

Thanks for bumping the photos and videos over to the new page! Thanks so much for the compliments! This tank keeps me so happy even with the current fiasco with the other tank. I'm so hooked on softy, seahorse tanks! Thanks for the inspiration! :) I rarely look at this tank top down because its pretty tall, but I decided it was time to do a new angle. It really does show off the ric garden so much more than a regular shot through the front of the tank.

I didn't hatch the brine I was feeding. I picked up a bag from an LFS near my house that always has a batch of them. I'm too lazy to deal with it myself, I just go pick up a bag for $1 every once in a while as a treat. The $1 portion is enough for ~3 days of feeding the tank. I always pour the bag into a mason jar and store it in the fridge for a few days. It slows down their metabolism so you don't need to feed the shrimp. They usually live that way for about 3 days and then I throw out any dead shrimp.

Gena's right about the fluffy gorg. Its different from the one she has from KPA. The one KPA sells is the same as my other new one that is in the back right corner of the tank. The really fluffy one actually isn't a true gorgonian, but is in the same family as green star polyps (briareum). It encrusts as a mat. I'm not sure why people started calling it a gorgonian, but its commonly called a corky finger gorg even though its not a gorgonian. Whatever it is, it looks cool so I bought one :) The LFS I went to to get new sand for the main tank had just gotten in a huge shipment of photosynthetic gorgonians and I just couldn't resist. I got the fluffy one, the one in the back right corner, and then a nice big yellow/gold feather that is next to the purple feather up on the rocks towards the left side.

I want some micro basket stars from them! I wonder how easy they are to keep alive in an aquarium though.

I loved that video! Watched it on FB this morning :). Gorgeous tank!!!!! You and Zia have done amazing work with these seahorse tanks!!!!!

Looks like a corky finger gorg. I think that's what it's called on Aquascaper's site. It's an encrusting gorgonia that actually grows in a mat, like GSP. Lots of people confuse it for GSP.

This is my guess anyways. It's way more fluffy than the finger gorg I have in my pico. Mine is more like the one she has on the right side of the tank, in back. :)

Thank you, Gena! I'm glad you enjoyed my super long video :) Nice job ID'ing that gorg!

It's always so enjoyable to watch your videos. SO relaxing to view your ponies.

Thanks, Annette! I'm glad you enjoy watching the videos. I was worried it was too long. :)

Thanks Gena! At first glance, they looked similar to me. Now that you clarified there differences, i can totally see how uniquely different they are. Ahh geez, now i want both :D

Thanks for bumping the photos and videos over to the new page! Thanks so much for the compliments! This tank keeps me so happy even with the current fiasco with the other tank. I'm so hooked on softy, seahorse tanks! Thanks for the inspiration! :) I rarely look at this tank top down because its pretty tall, but I decided it was time to do a new angle. It really does show off the ric garden so much more than a regular shot through the front of the tank.

I didn't hatch the brine I was feeding. I picked up a bag from an LFS near my house that always has a batch of them. I'm too lazy to deal with it myself, I just go pick up a bag for $1 every once in a while as a treat. The $1 portion is enough for ~3 days of feeding the tank. I always pour the bag into a mason jar and store it in the fridge for a few days. It slows down their metabolism so you don't need to feed the shrimp. They usually live that way for about 3 days and then I throw out any dead shrimp.

Gena's right about the fluffy gorg. Its different from the one she has from KPA. The one KPA sells is the same as my other new one that is in the back right corner of the tank. The really fluffy one actually isn't a true gorgonian, but is in the same family as green star polyps (briareum). It encrusts as a mat. I'm not sure why people started calling it a gorgonian, but its commonly called a corky finger gorg even though its not a gorgonian. Whatever it is, it looks cool so I bought one :) The LFS I went to to get new sand for the main tank had just gotten in a huge shipment of photosynthetic gorgonians and I just couldn't resist. I got the fluffy one, the one in the back right corner, and then a nice big yellow/gold feather that is next to the purple feather up on the rocks towards the left side.

I can see how this tank would make you so happy. It looks like a full blown circus in there with all those amazing colors, shapes and textures! Everytime i see yours, i always think, dang i need more color in mine! I think i just need a few more colorful ponies in mine and i'd be content.

I figured you got the BBS from a LFS, such a luxury i tell you! I only wish it was that easy for me here. But i just need to quit being a noob and make a genuine effort on hatching some :) I would love the satisfaction of seeing my seahorse and other fish eating some fat, gut loaded live food once in awhile.

Thanks for the additional info on the corky finger or what ever it's called. Crazy that it's not a gorg. The tank is looking extra fluffy and good with all those new pick ups.

I want some micro basket stars from them! I wonder how easy they are to keep alive in an aquarium though.

Dunno? But i'm fixing to find out :D

Thanks Gena! At first glance, they looked similar to me. Now that you clarified there differences, i can totally see how uniquely different they are. Ahh geez, now i want both :D

I can see how this tank would make you so happy. It looks like a full blown circus in there with all those amazing colors, shapes and textures! Everytime i see yours, i always think, dang i need more color in mine! I think i just need a few more colorful ponies in mine and i'd be content.

I figured you got the BBS from a LFS, such a luxury i tell you! I only wish it was that easy for me here. But i just need to quit being a noob and make a genuine effort on hatching some :) I would love the satisfaction of seeing my seahorse and other fish eating some fat, gut loaded live food once in awhile.

Thanks for the additional info on the corky finger or what ever it's called. Crazy that it's not a gorg. The tank is looking extra fluffy and good with all those new pick ups.

Dunno? But i'm fixing to find out :D

Eddie, we both have issues, because every time I see your tank, I'm like "Dang, I need to catch up!" You have so many more macros and softies than me, which fill in the space between the gorgonians and make it look so lush. I need more! :lol: You do need a couple more ponies though, that's for sure! Unfortunately, mine have been a bit dull in color the last few weeks. I guess they decided to change for some reason. Hopefully mine will decide to brighten back up sometime soon.

I am sure you can handle hatching some BBS. Its supposed to be easy enough. Gena does it I think, so I'm sure she could give you instructions. I'm just lazy and am spoiled by being in an area with plenty of LFS. We actually have a new one opening up in the bay area at the end of March so I'm excited to have a new store to check out :D

I'm always jealous of the awesome xenia and other fluffy softies you have in your tank, so I decided I needed some extra fluff. I think the two new gorgs (or not) fit the bill! Its definitely weird that the one is called a gorg but isn't.

If they do well for you, I'll have to order some at some point. I'm going to make a KPA order for my clean-up crew for the main tank once its back up and running.

Vid was not too long at all. i can watch you're tank all night!

Good to know! I can stare at that tank for days, but I wasn't sure if everyone else would have the same attention span for it. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Wow what a video, excuse me, I had to go get a towel to wipe up my drool! :lol:

Thanks! Its great to hear you guys are all enjoying the video so much! I'll have to make them more often :)

I thought it was a corky :). I just had to google it and learned something new! Apparently there are two types of corky gorgs. One grows in a mat (which I've had) and the other actually grows with "finger", stick form. That's obviously what you were lucky enough to get, Felicia!!!!! I've always loved those really fluffy ones. I want one too. Too bad I have nowhere to put it LOL.

BBS is soooo easy to hatch. Just get on youtube and watch one of the videos on there. SUPER easy. No troubles my first time trying. You can do it, Z!!!!! :D

I thought it was a corky :). I just had to google it and learned something new! Apparently there are two types of corky gorgs. One grows in a mat (which I've had) and the other actually grows with "finger", stick form. That's obviously what you were lucky enough to get, Felicia!!!!! I've always loved those really fluffy ones. I want one too. Too bad I have nowhere to put it LOL.

BBS is soooo easy to hatch. Just get on youtube and watch one of the videos on there. SUPER easy. No troubles my first time trying. You can do it, Z!!!!! :D

That's interesting that there are two types. I was wondering how it ended up gorg shaped if it grows like a mat. That explains a lot. I wasn't planning to buy any more gorgs right now, but the LFS I went in to get sand had TONS that had just come in and I couldn't resist the fluffiness. I am positive you could find somewhere to put one :) There's always room somewhere! haha

That's interesting that there are two types. I was wondering how it ended up gorg shaped if it grows like a mat. That explains a lot. I wasn't planning to buy any more gorgs right now, but the LFS I went in to get sand had TONS that had just come in and I couldn't resist the fluffiness. I am positive you could find somewhere to put one :) There's always room somewhere! haha

I was wondering the same thing, that's why I googled it. You got so lucky to get the gorg shaped one! I've never seen them around here. Live-plants carries them, I noticed. They stock both types.

No really....I'm totally out of room :lol:.

I was online trying to find one just now,lol I came across one of Morgans pictures of one with the PE closed and now i can totally see what your talking about. Definitely looks more GSP than gorg in this pic. But when it's all fluffy it's undeniably a gorg. It's just a 2 in 1 cool coral like that. Yep, i got to have one!

Briareum.jpg

Ok G, i'm sooo doing it! As much of a chore as it is, the reward of seeing the seahorse and other fish gobbling them up will make it worth it. Felicia's video sold me on em again.

That's what your new third tank is for,lol

I was wondering the same thing, that's why I googled it. You got so lucky to get the gorg shaped one! I've never seen them around here. Live-plants carries them, I noticed. They stock both types.

That's cool that live-plants has both types and explains the difference between the two. What a weird coral! Sounds like its time for an upgrade then, Gena :)

I was online trying to find one just now,lol I came across one of Morgans pictures of one with the PE closed and now i can totally see what your talking about. Definitely looks more GSP than gorg in this pic. But when it's all fluffy it's undeniably a gorg. It's just a 2 in 1 cool coral like that. Yep, i got to have one!

Briareum.jpg

Ok G, i'm sooo doing it! As much of a chore as it is, the reward of seeing the seahorse and other fish gobbling them up will make it worth it. Felicia's video sold me on em again.

Yeah, I saw Morgan's article when I was googling about it. It definitely looks like GSP when its closed up like that. Well if you need one, Gena just gave you a source:

http://live-plants.com/corkyfinger.htm

I went way too long since the last time I'd fed the seahorses live food. I'd forgotten how fun it is to watch them hunting. I'll have to treat them to live brine more often.

Eddie, we both have issues, because every time I see your tank, I'm like "Dang, I need to catch up!" You have so many more macros and softies than me, which fill in the space between the gorgonians and make it look so lush. I need more! :lol: You do need a couple more ponies though, that's for sure! Unfortunately, mine have been a bit dull in color the last few weeks. I guess they decided to change for some reason. Hopefully mine will decide to brighten back up sometime soon.

I am sure you can handle hatching some BBS. Its supposed to be easy enough. Gena does it I think, so I'm sure she could give you instructions. I'm just lazy and am spoiled by being in an area with plenty of LFS. We actually have a new one opening up in the bay area at the end of March so I'm excited to have a new store to check out :D

I'm always jealous of the awesome xenia and other fluffy softies you have in your tank, so I decided I needed some extra fluff. I think the two new gorgs (or not) fit the bill! Its definitely weird that the one is called a gorg but isn't.

If they do well for you, I'll have to order some at some point. I'm going to make a KPA order for my clean-up crew for the main tank once its back up and running

:lol: to funny. It's just every time i think i have this tank the way i want it, you post some B) cool new find i.e dino egg, new 'must have' colored spiral, extra fluffy gorg, awesome blue sponge, St. Thomas ric etc.. i'm like ohh wow that's purdy and adds some amazing punch of texture/color. So i feel like i'm the one trying to catch up :lol: When we do a swap, i can send some xenia and any other needed softies your way. Going overnight this time, i'm sure will have better results.

Fingers crossed on the stars, but i have a good feeling bout them :)

Yeah, I saw Morgan's article when I was googling about it. It definitely looks like GSP when its closed up like that. Well if you need one, Gena just gave you a source:

http://live-plants.com/corkyfinger.htm

I went way too long since the last time I'd fed the seahorses live food. I'd forgotten how fun it is to watch them hunting. I'll have to treat them to live brine more often.

That is a awesome source and sooo cheap to, plus an excuse to buy more macros while i'm at it.

:lol:

Well, if I ever get my rock flower anemone propagation tank going, I could technically put one in there :).

Is that Morgan photo new or old?

Felicia...is that corky finger top heavy? Looks like it'd be super top heavy. I know my finger gorg wants to topple over sometimes.

:lol: to funny. It's just every time i think i have this tank the way i want it, you post some B) cool new find i.e dino egg, new 'must have' colored spiral, extra fluffy gorg, awesome blue sponge, St. Thomas ric etc.. i'm like ohh wow that's purdy and adds some amazing punch of texture/color. So i feel like i'm the one trying to catch up :lol: When we do a swap, i can send some xenia and any other needed softies your way. Going overnight this time, i'm sure will have better results.

Fingers crossed on the stars, but i have a good feeling bout them :)

That is a awesome source and sooo cheap to, plus an excuse to buy more macros while i'm at it.

Hey! You're the one who started the whole spiral craze to begin with. Not to mention the entire seahorse craze on NR :lol: We apparently both inspire each other to spend too much money on corals we absolutely "need". :lol: I may definitely take you up on some softies for our swap since they're going overnight this time. I'm really hoping those micro basket stars are super easy to care for because I really want some! So cool looking!

:lol:

Well, if I ever get my rock flower anemone propagation tank going, I could technically put one in there :).

Is that Morgan photo new or old?

Felicia...is that corky finger top heavy? Looks like it'd be super top heavy. I know my finger gorg wants to topple over sometimes.

Ooooo! Another tank is in the works? I've been out of the loop too long!

Morgan's photo is from an article she wrote on Reef Builders back in Jan. 2013. Here's the article:

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/01/26/photosynthetic-gorgonians-home-aquaria/

Its a bit top heavy. I was able to get it to stand up straight just by burying the plug it was on into the sand bed until I figured out where I wanted to put it, so it wasn't super top heavy. I've got it epoxied in place now though, since I'm sure it would be easy to knock over otherwise.

Ooooo! Another tank is in the works? I've been out of the loop too long!

Morgan's photo is from an article she wrote on Reef Builders back in Jan. 2013. Here's the article:

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/01/26/photosynthetic-gorgonians-home-aquaria/

Its a bit top heavy. I was able to get it to stand up straight just by burying the plug it was on into the sand bed until I figured out where I wanted to put it, so it wasn't super top heavy. I've got it epoxied in place now though, since I'm sure it would be easy to knock over otherwise.

It would be a bigger tank for the rock flower anemones. Not really a display tank but a breeding tank :).

Sounds like the corky is similar to the regular finger gorg then. All that fluff makes it look heavier!

needs more zoas ;)

just saying

True! It probably will be getting more soon. Not all the zoas from my other tank will be going into the new tank, so some will be making the move into the seahorse tank. I just don't have much space for them and they tend to get shaded by the gorgonians.

It would be a bigger tank for the rock flower anemones. Not really a display tank but a breeding tank :).

Sounds like the corky is similar to the regular finger gorg then. All that fluff makes it look heavier!

Fun! You going to start selling rock flower nems? If so, put me on the list! I'd love to have one.

Yeah, it was reasonably heavy since it has a thick base, but not quite as much as it looks since the fluff is deceptive.

Archived