inTank Media Baskets

KG's Reef² Coming Down

kguske2

How are you testing SG?

(I'm not trying to play expert, just covering he bases of what I've delt with recently)

Test with the milwaukee electronic refractometer. The big green machine

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

Test with the milwaukee electronic refractometer. The big green machine

I'd think your good to go there, I was reading a while back that low SG can cause big problems keeping alk up, which I expierenced first hand. Might have to start up a dosing regimine. I've keep mine up with kalk, but I rationally know 2 part is a more precise way to keep them in line

I'd think your good to go there, I was reading a while back that low SG can cause big problems keeping alk up, which I expierenced first hand. Might have to start up a dosing regimine. I've keep mine up with kalk, but I rationally know 2 part is a more precise way to keep them in line

Yep bought two part with the new test kits. Was going to test for a week to get a good average of daily use but might have to start dosing sooner

Welso, or the craziest scoly ever?

Wellso that curled up into that nice circle the other today when I fed the tank. It put out feeders grabbed the food then did what the picture shows.

NorthGaHillbilly

Wellso that curled up into that nice circle the other today when I fed the tank. It put out feeders grabbed the food then did what the picture shows.

Got ya, really cool to see it go circular, relatively small?

The rainbow I got from Lawn is coloring up to look pretty similar

Got ya, really cool to see it go circular, relatively small?

The rainbow I got from Lawn is coloring up to look pretty similar

Actually not that small when fully expanded. Probably takes up a 6"x6" space. Biggest sand resting coral I've got. Took a chance on it from ebay and was pleasantly surprised. Here it is with a frag plug for size reference. It wasn't fully expanded here but almost all the way

EC72AD7C-9A80-4F66-B63E-F0E64271B61C.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

Actually not that small when fully expanded. Probably takes up a 6"x6" space. Biggest sand resting coral I've got. Took a chance on it from ebay and was pleasantly surprised. Here it is with a frag plug for size reference. It wasn't fully expanded here but almost all the way

EC72AD7C-9A80-4F66-B63E-F0E64271B61C.jpg

damn man, looks great! I really like the deep blue center

damn man, looks great! I really like the deep blue center

Thanks. Sellers pic was overly red so I wasn't expecting it to have so many different colors.

Damn looking at those two pics makes me realize how light in color it's gotten. May be blasting it with too much light trying to make the SPS happy. Gonna have to compare when the lights come back on tomorrow

NorthGaHillbilly

Thanks. Sellers pic was overly red so I wasn't expecting it to have so many different colors.

Damn looking at those two pics makes me realize how light in color it's gotten. May be blasting it with too much light trying to make the SPS happy. Gonna have to compare when the lights come back on tomorrow

its REALLY tough to make both happy in a shallow tank, im finding out. After adding the LEDs I kind of forgot I was worried about having sticks :P

its REALLY tough to make both happy in a shallow tank, im finding out. After adding the LEDs I kind of forgot I was worried about having sticks :P

This is the furthest it can be from light so it needs to adjust! Ha. And my light is about to get much larger and stronger. Hmm guess it will have to be much higher off the surface :lol: yea I got the frags in last week and already realized I don't have enough rock to even mount them because as soon as they grow an inch they'll be out of space. The troubles of wanting a large open sandbed I suppose

NorthGaHillbilly

This is the furthest it can be from light so it needs to adjust! Ha. And my light is about to get much larger and stronger. Hmm guess it will have to be much higher off the surface :lol: yea I got the frags in last week and already realized I don't have enough rock to even mount them because as soon as they grow an inch they'll be out of space. The troubles of wanting a large open sandbed I suppose

... upgrade...

Water test day 3:

Alk: 6.7

Cal: 450

Mag: over 1500

Also think I've been reading the Alk wrong and it actually started in the mid 8's but since I've read it the same each day this week I can still determine how much I'm using.

Why would alk be dropping and calcium remaining the same?

NorthGaHillbilly

Water test day 3:

Alk: 6.7

Cal: 450

Also think I've been reading the Alk wrong and it actually started in the mid 8's but since I've read it the same each day this week I can still determine how much I'm using.

Why would alk be dropping and calcium remaining the same?

Im not sure, but I can attest that it happens. I gauge of the liquid in the syringe, not the plunger, as i find there is some variation in the amount that gets sucked up each time if I go off the stopper.

Im not sure, but I can attest that it happens. I gauge of the liquid in the syringe, not the plunger, as i find there is some variation in the amount that gets sucked up each time if I go off the stopper.

Interesting. I was reading how much solution I had used, but after re reading the salifert tests, I think you're supoosed to go off how much solution is left to get your dkh number. stupid water parameters :lol:

Water test day 4. Really starting to get annoyed with my inability to conclusively read these tests. Here's what I think I got

Alk: 5.4 (again think I read it wrong the first day so continuing to read it the same way until the initial testing is done

Cal: 440

lilmatty5dimes

Great sps and wellso addition. Tank is looking great. I think your problem having the same problem as every other reefer and those damn test kits. Lol

Great sps and wellso addition. Tank is looking great. I think your problem having the same problem as every other reefer and those damn test kits. Lol

Thanks. And totally agree. I quickly remember why I didnt test to begin with! :lol:

Archived