inTank Media Baskets

KG's Reef² Coming Down

kguske2

Probably. Dirty that bitch up :)

I feel like I already feed pretty heavily for only having two fish but maybe not!

I'm sure 5-10 is well within a good range. I know its anecdotal, but living in a similar (FL house) situation it might be worth looking into running a CO2 scrubber or an airline from your skimmer to outside.

I'll have to look into it. I'd always wondered if constantly keeping the house locked up could he having an affect on the tank

Yep....if you're not growing algae.....you're doing something wrong.

I grow algae. Lots of the bubble type

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I already feed pretty heavily for only having two fish but maybe not!

I'll have to look into it. I'd always wondered if constantly keeping the house locked up could he having an affect on the tank

I grow algae. Lots of the bubble type

Too fancy. That's the SPS of algae.

:(

So confused too.

Alk: 8.6

Cal: 450

Mag: 1600

Nitrate: 5-10

Phosphate: 0 on salifert

Maybe lighting and or flow are too low. At this point I have no idea. All other corals appear to be doing just fine so it doesn't seem like a system wide thing

If you had a Alk spike while they were in the tank then you are witnessing Zombie corals that may or may not continue to die. If these are new then they are stressed, why? Perhaps not enough food in the water, too much light, too low phosphates, etc.

If you had a Alk spike while they were in the tank then you are witnessing Zombie corals that may or may not continue to die. If these are new then they are stressed, why? Perhaps not enough food in the water, too much light, too low phosphates, etc.

The ones that are dying aren't zombie corals, although I do have some of those. I've upped feeding the past few days so we'll see if it makes a noticeable difference. Too much light I would expect bleaching, not the browning I see. Who knows!

Water change last night. Pink lemonade frag dead this afternoon. It was slowly losing tissue and then about 3/4 of the frag's tissue died overnight apparently

Water change last night. Pink lemonade frag dead this afternoon. It was slowly losing tissue and then about 3/4 of the frag's tissue died overnight apparently

Softy nem tank :) what I am doing.

No meat corals for the meat box??

Yeah I still have 2 :) looking forward to my new big nem even if it's not a eye candy piece.

Suppose to be 12" the box weighs 13lbs :)

Yeah I still have 2 :) looking forward to my new big nem even if it's not a eye candy piece.Suppose to be 12" the box weighs 13lbs :)

Good god. That will be a nice center piece I'm sure

Weasel Baron

I dont want to sound like a parrot here, but pH? Have you considered running a scrubber or a line outside? I havent had any more SPS deaths since I did... Im getting in some new frags from uniquecorals this wed, so they'll be the real test. Just something to consider

So confused too.

Alk: 8.6

Cal: 450

Mag: 1600

Nitrate: 5-10

Phosphate: 0 on salifert

Maybe lighting and or flow are too low. At this point I have no idea. All other corals appear to be doing just fine so it doesn't seem like a system wide thing

Going back to this.

Did you use the double Salifert test (20ml tank water, 8 drops, 2 scoops)? If you did and registered no color then I would consider juicing the water a bit. Metrokat was able to stop STN by actually dosing phosphates in her new tank.

You seem to be experiencing RTN so that's another issue. If you have a calibrated PH meter and you are registering below 7.7 PH on a regular basis then it's cause for concern. If you're 7.8 or a little under then something to look into but not a killer in my opinion.

The best thing I did for my acros was dare them to turn brown by literally pouring food into the water. Clouding a 150 gallon with Reef Roids is costly, but the corals didn't die, in fact some colored up and started to grow. I still have a lot of brown acros as I try to manage the balance between lots of food in the water and at the same time low Phosphate and Nitrate levels.

If I would continue to dose NOPOX, run my GFO and stop feeding I guarantee you I would kill some acros.

It's also worth noting that Klein believes he saved his tank using Pohl's Extra Special, which is basically aminos with animal fat and other goodies. I'm now using it as well to make sure the water stays juiced. He doses 1ml a day in his 65 on a doser.

I dont want to sound like a parrot here, but pH? Have you considered running a scrubber or a line outside? I havent had any more SPS deaths since I did... Im getting in some new frags from uniquecorals this wed, so they'll be the real test. Just something to consider

Not sure the best way to run a line outside but it sounds like I need to look into it. Hope your UC frag's do well, they've got some great stuff!

Going back to this.

Did you use the double Salifert test (20ml tank water, 8 drops, 2 scoops)? If you did and registered no color then I would consider juicing the water a bit. Metrokat was able to stop STN by actually dosing phosphates in her new tank.

You seem to be experiencing RTN so that's another issue. If you have a calibrated PH meter and you are registering below 7.7 PH on a regular basis then it's cause for concern. If you're 7.8 or a little under then something to look into but not a killer in my opinion.

The best thing I did for my acros was dare them to turn brown by literally pouring food into the water. Clouding a 150 gallon with Reef Roids is costly, but the corals didn't die, in fact some colored up and started to grow. I still have a lot of brown acros as I try to manage the balance between lots of food in the water and at the same time low Phosphate and Nitrate levels.

If I would continue to dose NOPOX, run my GFO and stop feeding I guarantee you I would kill some acros.It's also worth noting that Klein believes he saved his tank using Pohl's Extra Special, which is basically aminos with animal fat and other goodies. I'm now using it as well to make sure the water stays juiced. He doses 1ml a day in his 65 on a doser.

Never thought to double up the salifert test. I'll do that tonight. Yea it was stn on other pieces, the pink lemonade was the first one I've lost in less than a few days. Unless a few days is considered a short time frame and therefore it's always been RTN!

PH was tested with an Api kit so take it for what it's worth. It's all I have around at the moment. I took the gfo reactor offline Sunday night to try and let the water get a little dirtier but since the acros are already brown I couldn't make them browner my feeding more like you mention.

Starting last week I've been feeding about 1/4 tsp of either reed roids or nutricell twice a day on top of feeding pellets, flakes, LRS, or PE mysis depending on what I grab. I actually noticed his comment about pohls extra the other day, may grab some while it's still on sale. Can't hurt at this point. Actually. Yes it could :lol:

Maybe I just need more fish poop in the water!

Going to just fill the tank to the rim with sand. I wonder how many lbs would be needed to fill a 30 gallon tank :lol: I think it would be a new frontier and look for reef tanks

Also not sure if I posted this so here it is. If I already have oh well I like these zoas

17088476317_5119b33220_c.jpg

Going to just fill the tank to the rim with sand. I wonder how many lbs would be needed to fill a 30 gallon tank :lol: I think it would be a new frontier and look for reef tanks

Also not sure if I posted this so here it is. If I already have oh well I like these zoas

17088476317_5119b33220_c.jpg

10 bags should do it :)
Weasel Baron

Not sure the best way to run a line outside but it sounds like I need to look into it. Hope your UC frag's do well, they've got some great stuff!

Never thought to double up the salifert test. I'll do that tonight. Yea it was stn on other pieces, the pink lemonade was the first one I've lost in less than a few days. Unless a few days is considered a short time frame and therefore it's always been RTN!

PH was tested with an Api kit so take it for what it's worth.

I just used an old hole that was for a cable line for the 12gal tank, and for the 50 I used a 5/16 drill bit out the outside of the house, and drilled on the approximate area on the inside. I passed the tubing through by sticking a wooden BBQ skewer on the inside of the tube to make it a bit easier to guide. Alternatively, a CO2 scrubber is super easy to build; you just need something like an empty RODI canister and some soda lime. Run the skimmer tube to the RODI canister

http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/soda-lime-3-lb-bag/anesthesia-products?r=gmc-feed-mvi&gclid=gmc-feed-mvi

they sell color changing soda lime so its easy to tell when to change it

neuwave built one a while ago w/ good results

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/277199-co2-scrubber-ph-goes-up/

I keep harping on this because its a quick fix with quick results. If its not the source of your problem then you can keep up w/ the heavy feedings or maybe do a triton test and see if there's something out of whack

I just used an old hole that was for a cable line for the 12gal tank, and for the 50 I used a 5/16 drill bit out the outside of the house, and drilled on the approximate area on the inside. I passed the tubing through by sticking a wooden BBQ skewer on the inside of the tube to make it a bit easier to guide. Alternatively, a CO2 scrubber is super easy to build; you just need something like an empty RODI canister and some soda lime. Run the skimmer tube to the RODI canister

http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/soda-lime-3-lb-bag/anesthesia-products?r=gmc-feed-mvi&gclid=gmc-feed-mvi

they sell color changing soda lime so its easy to tell when to change it

neuwave built one a while ago w/ good results

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/277199-co2-scrubber-ph-goes-up/

I keep harping on this because its a quick fix with quick results. If its not the source of your problem then you can keep up w/ the heavy feedings or maybe do a triton test and see if there's something out of whack

Hmm. Can't drill through the walls since it's an apartment, but I could run a line to the next room and through a cracked window. Going to have to grab some airline tomorrow.

As for test results tonight. Doubled up the phosphate kit as Mark suggested, phosphate came in between the .1 and .25 shade of blue so it's certainly not 0! Tested alk came in at 8.3-8.6. Ph with the api kit was 7.8 again

No tank news to report, just some neat pictures I took this afternoon when I got home from work. Sun was at a nice angle so I turned off the tank light. The natural ocean look so to speak

16995796034_b9cd09290f_b.jpg

17615935802_d00be66034_c.jpg

17618346121_cfecf3431a_c.jpg

16995784814_2d1247bc9d_c.jpg

17618291235_32aa702895_c.jpg

17430710630_3032322f43_c.jpg

Archived