Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

KG's Reef² Coming Down

kguske2

I like your thinking Currently running the skimmer and a bit of gfo in a reactor. Also have a bag of carbon thats just sitting in the sump. Besides water changes that's it! Going to start actually testing my water though. At least more than I do now, which is never :lol:

I'm not sure I feed enough as it is actually. My skimmer used to work great with the dial inbetween the 2 and 3. For the past week or so that same setting doesn't even get the bubbles up the entire neck. Not sure whats going on with that.

As for fish, was thinking a few chromis, the hogfish, and maybe the starcki damsel Ben just bought. I like finding fish through other people apparently. That would bring total fish to 8.

You'd be fine with those.... as long as the starcki doesn't get all dickish.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd be fine with those.... as long as the starcki doesn't get all dickish.

That would be my only concern. I'd have to whip him into shape :lol:

Been talking with battle corals about putting together we a nice little pack of sticks! Also looking to add some new fish too. Love your new additions. I really want to add an anthias but don't know if the tank is big enough

Yes, sticks! :D

I can join in the insanity/misery/confusion! I mean joy! :lol:

I get jealous when I see good looking tanks without the misery of sticks, so I encourage everyone to get them. :)

I get jealous when I see good looking tanks without the misery of sticks, so I encourage everyone to get them. :)

My tank only has one, but that's just because I've killed the few others I've had. Hoping for a different turn of events this time around!

I know what ya mean, part of me wants to go wild and just order a ton of sticks...... But, I haven't done a WC in well over a month (maybe 2), haven't tested anything and yet coloration is ####ing lovely... it just doesn't make sense :lol:

Sticks will arrive Tuesday next week! :) also bought one of the magnetic rock frag racks from alternative reef. Should arrive today. Going to make my tank look less like a frag tank...hopefully

Sticks will arrive Tuesday next week! :) also bought one of the magnetic rock frag racks from alternative reef. Should arrive today. Going to make my tank look less like a frag tank...hopefully

I really like the alternative reef mags. Mine is the "shelf" (doesn't have plug holes) not the rack definitely a cool product and looks a million times better then traditional frag racks.

Well, order of acros arrives tomorrow. And the stick I bought two weeks ago has slowly turned brown :/ it still has PE though so that's something!

Well, order of acros arrives tomorrow. And the stick I bought two weeks ago has slowly turned brown :/ it still has PE though so that's something!

Alk staying stable? Whats phosphates at? Getting good light?

Alk staying stable? Whats phosphates at? Getting good light?

Got new test kits on order. Realized all mine are expired. don't think phosphates are too high as I'm not seeing any extra algae growth. Actually starting to think I may not have enough nutrients. I can't get my skimmer to get a consistent skim going, only seems to pull much out after I feed the tank so I've upped my feeding the last few days and have also been feeding nutricell daily in an effort to get some food specifically to the lone stick I have.

As for light its sitting in the highest lit part of my tank

Also, I know it's not an acro but one note is im already seeing growth and good PE from my stetosa that I added around the same time. It's kept its color as well

Lack of nutrients would typically cause pale coloration not browning out. What are you using for a dip? When I used to use revive all my acros browned for a few weeks before coloring back up slowly.... So I'd suspect shitty dip or pest if everything else checks out.

Lack of nutrients would typically cause pale coloration not browning out. What are you using for a dip? When I used to use revive all my acros browned for a few weeks before coloring back up slowly.... So I'd suspect shitty dip or pest if everything else checks out.

That would make sense. This was my last dip using coral rx. And the tips are still colored so it hasn't totallu browned out. Maybe I'll just give it another few weeks before I really worry. Going to do the big three tests as soon as my new kits get in

Well did some tests with expired red sea kits so not sure these results mean anything.

Alk: 8.4-9.0 not sure exactly when the color changed

Cal: 450

Mag: 1600 sky high :wacko:

Phosphate on an expired salifert kit: basically undetectable

Well did some tests with expired red sea kits so not sure these results mean anything.

Alk: 8.4-9.0 not sure exactly when the color changed

Cal: 450

Mag: 1600 sky high

Phosphate on an expired salifert kit: basically undetectable

The dip is definitely suspect IMO. I've had hundreds brown out after being dipped in some of the "harsher" dips. At this point I would just leave it be.

8.5-9 with 0 phosphates and good light would typically result in burnt tips/ rtn/stn from tips down. Mag being 1600 isn't a huge deal if it actually is. Low mag can be a PITA, high mag isn't overly worrisome as long as you do it slowly.

I wouldn't sweat the 0 phosphates at this point, everything that REALLY wants phosphates seems to be happy (z/p & LPS) right? If they do show up on the new kits as being undetectable then I would slowly add feedings even if you just feed your fish a little extra or 2 smaller amounts daily instead of 1 bigger feeding (or if you do frozen a cube of frozen and some flake/ pellets later in the day).... but like I said we will worry about that more when the new kits arrive. lol

Battlecorals short review: excellent a+!

Ordered 6 frags, recoeved 9! :) everything arrived looking great with the exception of one frag which didn't survive shipping. Really sucks since it was the piece I was most looking forward too! Already spoke with Adam and he offered a refund or credit. Superb communication. I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to sps at this point. Let's hope I can keep these thriving!

A few pics coming a little later

Kyle,

Where are you placing some of the SPS? Curious.

-Dave

Dave, the one acro I have is sitting almost directly under the center of the light, probably 15" below the light. Have a stetosa a bit off center and behind the light. Planning on placing these new frags directly under or just off center of the two pucks in the light.

Pictures!

Let's start with my new pom pom crab who I finally got an OK picture of

17059310122_e7c5ee83c2_c.jpg

Onto the new sticks

BC Couchburn

17071768705_6268c1d1cf_c.jpg

Red Robin

17070298392_91559e1bd9_c.jpg

PC Rainbow

16885552999_2fa847a735_c.jpg

One of the freebies. I think it was labeled Rainbow Tenius

17071022491_92122d0696_c.jpg

Pink Lemonade :wub:

16884221370_1f687257a1_c.jpg

Pictures!

Let's start with my new pom pom crab who I finally got an OK picture of

17059310122_e7c5ee83c2_c.jpg

Onto the new sticks

BC Couchburn

17071768705_6268c1d1cf_c.jpg

Red Robin

17070298392_91559e1bd9_c.jpg

PC Rainbow

16885552999_2fa847a735_c.jpg

One of the freebies. I think it was labeled Rainbow Tenius

17071022491_92122d0696_c.jpg

Pink Lemonade :wub:

16884221370_1f687257a1_c.jpg

Dang dude awesome looking corals! That PC rainbow and Pink Lemonade are AMAZING!

Archived