ReefCleaners.org

Why do people get rid of their MP10?

Grumblecakes

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because they Suc!!

J/k I love my MP10s Wouldn't run a main display tank with out em :P

Will say, on one of mine that's still under warranty. The white plastic shaft on the wet side cracked and where the metal was exposed it rusted. I only noticed because the wet side spun uncontrollably for a few seconds, causing water to slosh out the tank. I called Eco Tech and they issued me a return/credit for another free replacement wet side. Awesome customer service!

I'm scared if I tried a wp25, it would break :scarry: :scarry:

Does it come adjustable flow now? or do I have to spend another 10 bucks on the power supply?

Oi, these ducking debates. One costs more because it has a few extra features, some people will pay for them and others find that excessive and unnecessary. Now apply to lighting/skimmers/tanks/pumps and shut the hell up.

So far as reselling an MP 10, it's one of two pieces of equipment that you can sell used and not get low balled to the floor for your trouble. People selling them have various reasons for doing so, the pump being shitty isn't one of them. I still can't picture spending that much on a glorified powerhead, but I wouldn't argue if I found one for a song.

I think it's ignorant to even argue stuff like this, if someone wants to spend whatever an Ecotech cost then by all means spend it the way you want to. Me, I'm cheap and I'll save money where I can aslong as it's not going to have any ill effects on my tank. The fact is this, they push the same amount of water, they have randomized flow, the wp40's are the size of a softball but you're not going to put a one in a small tank so as stated I'll spend less money and have it take a little more room in my tank, I have two Evo 750's in my tank and just knowing how big the wp40's are and seeing how much smaller the wp25's are I am willing to bet it will be smaller than my 750. And yes, I do believe quite a few people are selling their vortechs to purchase these. As a matter of a fact, I can think of 3 people who have done that exact same thing. Not stating that is why everyone is doing so.

You think it's "ignorant" to argue stuff like this but you just went far beyond your way to make your point.

Don't know much about Jebao wp25/40's, but I do know its straight out of China. Good luck with customer service issues and warranty claims on these units. If this is Ecotech's best competition, it's really not much of a battle between the two units. The Jebao has probably the largest profile of any powerhead and a few random flow settings. The only thing it has going for it is the price. IMO you get what you pay for. Plus I'd rather support an American company.

BeardedReeferLLC

Good luck with customer service issues and warranty claims on these units. IMO you get what you pay for. Plus I'd rather support an America company.

And this is a great way to end this thread. omgomgomg

You think it's "ignorant" to argue stuff like this but you just went far beyond your way to make your point.

Don't know much about Jebao wp25/40's, but I do know its straight out of China. Good luck with customer service issues and warranty claims on these units. If this is Ecotech's best competition, it's really not much of a battle between the two units. The Jebao has probably the largest profile of any powerhead and a few random flow settings. The only thing it has going for it is the price. IMO you get what you pay for. Plus I'd rather support an American company.

It's hard to argue warranty claims as a negative when the unit is a 3rd of the cost. You can literally just buy 3 and have 2 spares, and still pay less. A few random flow settings? It ships with 3 adjustable wave modes and a random flow mode. There's also already a harness for Reef Angel controllers to allow for 100% custom patterns. Saying it's not much of a battle between the two sounds like someone desperately clinging to the past.

Ultimately, competition is good for everyone. The MP-10 has been overpriced for a long time, it'll be interesting to see the prices fall once they start feeling the pressure from the lower cost alternatives. The WP-25's wholesale cost is under $45 a unit. Goes to show you that there's nothing special about a prop, DC motor and controller combo that could possibly explain why an MP10 is $230+.

Ultimately, competition is good for everyone. The MP-10 has been overpriced for a long time, it'll be interesting to see the prices fall once they start feeling the pressure from the lower cost alternatives. The WP-25's wholesale cost is under $45 a unit. Goes to show you that there's nothing special about a prop, DC motor and controller combo that could possibly explain why an MP10 is $230+.

Real competition would include: small footprint, heat generated outside of tank, wireless options for tandem programming, water movement selections. What's exciting about the Chinese models is that it provides more options to people who normally would not buy an MP10. I'm happy both exist. One day I will have one of these for my 46 to see how well it works, but I will not replace my MP10 in my 40 breeder.

Do people argue over why BMW exists when KIA makes nice cars and obviously there is nothing special about a gasoline engine and some rubber tires? probably, somewhere, there is another completely useless thread about it. :)

It's hard to argue warranty claims as a negative when the unit is a 3rd of the cost. You can literally just buy 3 and have 2 spares, and still pay less. A few random flow settings? It ships with 3 adjustable wave modes and a random flow mode. There's also already a harness for Reef Angel controllers to allow for 100% custom patterns. Saying it's not much of a battle between the two sounds like someone desperately clinging to the past.

I agree competition is good and would love to see a more affordable MP10. However, this debate is more appropriate between the wp25 and hydor/ cobalt/ tunze and not ecotech. At this point there are more differences than similarities between the wp25 and mp10. You can put shiny lipstick on a fat Chinese powerhead, in the end it's still not an MP10.

ReggieDunlop

I was going to start another thread in regard to the MP10, but I decided to post my query here instead.

My friend may be selling his MP10 and MP20, but I want to know if the MP 20 is too powerful for a 34 gallon tank, and is it safe to purchase a used powerhead?

Thanks!

I was going to start another thread in regard to the MP10, but I decided to post my query here instead.

My friend may be selling his MP10 and MP20, but I want to know if the MP 20 is too powerful for a 34 gallon tank, and is it safe to purchase a used powerhead?

Thanks!

The MP20 would need to be diled down but at one time it was the choice for a 34 gallon tank as there was no MP10. The MP10 has a smaller foot print and depending on when it was made a better driver box. I'd go for the MP10 as it would be cheaper anyway. If not the MP20 would work for you, but even used they go for a pretty penny, unless you get the good friend discount.

Thanks!

I have 2 MP10s on my 34G.

Since this thread went off topic. I'm wondering if a wavemaker function is as important to a hobbyists as just regular GOOD water flow inside the tank? Personally I don't care a hoot about any waves, I want to see all my coral polyps moving at some point from the flow, that is all.

mp10 are wayyyyyy too noisy, i've heard too many reefers have noisy mp10s, mp40 on the other hand, not so much.

People complaining about MP10 noise are loud, yes? It's not silent, that's for sure, but when you put the motor outside the tank it's to be expected. It IS a tradeoff for heat. Mine significantly quieted down over the first two weeks, but is still noticeable when at full power.

Exactly! They are doing the same thing, are much less noisy and cost a fraction of the price. tough choice! lol!

I have a wp25 on order for 85$. They can also be controlled via a Reef Angel or other aquarium controllers with any pattern you can think of, very cool! I know quite a few people now selling their mp10 and 40 and getting the wp25 and wp40.

They're selling them and buying the wp25/40's. Because they realized they both do damn near the same thing.

I would never buy anything but a vortech. Except maybe if I had a 300g tank where you wouldn't really notice giant power heads in the tank. I've been running my mp10 for a year now on 100% and I still can't hear it.

As someone who has been doing this for a pretty long time (when Tunze was THE powerhead) and has had BIG tanks, a vortech just didn't make sense in these applications. When I set my two 400ish gallon tanks up again in the next three years or so, they will using Tunze. Not until I started fooling around with smaller tanks did the vortechs become appealing because of their shape. In a small tank it just makes sense to use them due to their small profile. I think people are really talking from their ass when they speak about the business, economic, design, pricing and marketing issues. Anything that moves water in the tank qualifies as an alternative and thus competition to some degree. Products can have differing features and still be in competition with each other.

Also, I would love to see a Vortech last as long as the Tunze products I have that are going on 8-10 years with like $10 of parts at the most.

I'm wondering if a wavemaker function is as important to a hobbyists as just regular GOOD water flow inside the tank? Personally I don't care a hoot about any waves, I want to see all my coral polyps moving at some point from the flow, that is all.

NO. This is probably in the top 5 most overrated list of gimmicks. Important to the easily wowed hobbyist, yes. To the coral? Hell no.

NO. This is probably in the top 5 most overrated list of gimmicks. Important to the easily wowed hobbyist, yes. To the coral? Hell no.

Why? Back it up?

Some fun videos of actual reefs.

Reef Crest. i don't think either pump reproduces this level of movement. ;)

Short Pulse: :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7cL6rpwIzw

More back and forth in some of these scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_lswEIAcIU

I don't use short pulse since the pulse length is a function of tank width and my tanks are short, but I think longer tanks benefit from running some short pulse programming.

Exactly! They are doing the same thing, are much less noisy and cost a fraction of the price. tough choice! lol!

I have a wp25 on order for 85$. They can also be controlled via a Reef Angel or other aquarium controllers with any pattern you can think of, very cool! I know quite a few people now selling their mp10 and 40 and getting the wp25 and wp40.

What size is it going in? I'm sorry but, if this thing only lasted a year I would be more than happy with it.

i have an MP10 on reef crest in my 16G. i love it and so do the corals. i've had koralias in my past tanks and they're nowhere near as good. but this is of course an opinion.

i think that at the heart of this cheery debate is a more basic issue that exists in this hobby (or every hobby, probably). there are cool, trendy things that have some kind of capital attached to them, be it financial or otherwise. vortechs are the 'thing to have', and so are LED fixtures, and rimless tanks, and designer corals, and so on. some people can't afford the trendy things, some people don't like them, and some people can't live without them.

that being said, however, i would now never buy anything else.

i have an MP10 on reef crest in my 16G. i love it and so do the corals. i've had koralias in my past tanks and they're nowhere near as good. but this is of course an opinion.

i think that at the heart of this cheery debate is a more basic issue that exists in this hobby (or every hobby, probably). there are cool, trendy things that have some kind of capital attached to them, be it financial or otherwise. vortechs are the 'thing to have', and so are LED fixtures, and rimless tanks, and designer corals, and so on. some people can't afford the trendy things, some people don't like them, and some people can't live without them.

that being said, however, i would now never buy anything else.

Great response. I can say for a fact that, if I thought there was going to be a huge drastic difference coral wise from running one or the other I'd without a doubt go with the vortech. Now I will say that, I don't dislike the mp line I just can't justify paying the price for one. I know they're great and people love them. And maybe it's because I've never had one to fall in love with.

Why? Back it up?

Some fun videos of actual reefs.

Reef Crest. i don't think either pump reproduces this level of movement. ;)

Short Pulse: :)

I don't use short pulse since the pulse length is a function of tank width and my tanks are short, but I think longer tanks benefit from running some short pulse programming.

Nice videos. Actually I can mimic the crashing waves in my tank for sure. All you have to do is place the MP10 close to the surface and crash boom goes the water. That is why PICO aquariums made the MP10 shield for shallow tanks.

Archived