Top Shelf Aquatics

Why do people get rid of their MP10?

Grumblecakes

Great response. I can say for a fact that, if I thought there was going to be a huge drastic difference coral wise from running one or the other I'd without a doubt go with the vortech. Now I will say that, I don't dislike the mp line I just can't justify paying the price for one. I know they're great and people love them. And maybe it's because I've never had one to fall in love with.

I think that's a fair statement. Too many times people will be a fan of one product as a 'one size fits all' solution. For larger tanks where the pumps aren't as noticeable, or can be hidden, I might go for something else. If you want to duplicate Reef Crest mode you can find a used Red Sea Wavemaster Pro that can control up to 4 pumps to simulate reef crest modes. I've seen them as low as $60 on a local board.

If you end up having heat issues due to the pumps and have to start looking at ways to reduce heat then cost might not be as much of a factor. Really hard to say.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly can't see heat being an issue. I've never had an issue with heat with my two 750's but who knows. If the heat rose with it I would simply unplug the heater and see what the temp was without the heater and just adjust the heater lower if need be.

My 40 was getting up to 83F when I ran enough flow to satisfy the SPS. I can now run it at 78 all day and night. Ambient room temp is around 72 (basement) and T5 lighting.

My 46 with internal pumps is heating up to 80 during the day, which is ok IMO, all LED strip lights. I raised the heater to keep it near 80 at night, to be consistent.

Yeah I'm sure it has alot to do with room temp and maybe where the tank is in respect to vents. My 40B sits almost right under an air vent. It never goes over 79 and usually stays between 77-78 throughout the whole day. I've got the two 750's, a tunze 1073.02 return and a fairly big skimmer, it's an OTP 2000 pump and honestly, without the heater the tank would drop to about 72-74. I also keep the apt at 70. And it's lit with LEDs so that definitely keeps it cooler. I wish I could recall what it got up to with the T5's over it.

I love my mp10.. sometimes my fish get sea sick when I put it on pulse mode though.. you ever cleaned up fish puke? Not fun.. all over the carpet.. of course they had vodka that day too..

Ah, you have more water volume, which might be key, and better pumps. I'm using the JBJ pumps that came with the JBJ wavemaker and these things run hot.

I love my mp10.. sometimes my fish get sea sick when I put it on pulse mode though.. you ever cleaned up fish puke? Not fun.. all over the carpet.. of course they had vodka that day too..

This is funny to me lol.

I had two mp10, an old mp20, and two mp40 and could not stand the noise. I changed bearings and it got a lot quieter but was still loud since the tank is in my room. I changed for cheaper used tunze controllable pumps controlled via my reef angel and will NEVER go back to the vortechs. I literally cannot hear/feel vibrations or anything from the new powerheads. All I can do to ensure they are running is look at my awesome wave action. The vortechs were louder than my eheim return and skimmer which I find unnacceptable at that price point. I don't want to bash ecotech since they make a sleek product, but it is far from silent. Only downside with my tunze pumps is the size, but again, I got 2 6105 for the price of one mp40 and they throw the same amount of water as 2 mp40

Just throwing something out there:

Customer service is not a problem with Chinese stuff IMO. I have bought a lot of stuff from China and whenever anything has broken, they sent a full refund within 1-2 days. And they only want pictures like 50% of the time. Maybe it's different for Jebao, but I don't know.

I ran my MP10 (13G tank, btw) on reef crest at first, but changed a couple weeks ago to NTM and so far the corals are loving it. For what it's worth mine is completely silent. Even sitting right beside the tank looking in with no other noise in the room, I still can't hear the motor. I can hear the propeller spinning up and down to create the wave during SPM but that's it. It's definitely not loud in the least. Expensive, yes, but for my purposes, totally worth it.

Why? Back it up?

Uhhh. This is pretty obvious. How many excellent tanks have there been before vortechs and how many before Tunze even had controllability?

It's superfluous... like most things for sale in this hobby these days. Sold on bells and whistles and hype. Do I like them, hell yes, but like LEDs, it's absolutely ridiculous to read about them like they are the "best thing ever forever 111!!!one!!!!shift!!!11"

As someone who has been doing this for a pretty long time (when Tunze was THE powerhead) and has had BIG tanks, a vortech just didn't make sense in these applications. When I set my two 400ish gallon tanks up again in the next three years or so, they will using Tunze. Not until I started fooling around with smaller tanks did the vortechs become appealing because of their shape. In a small tank it just makes sense to use them due to their small profile. I think people are really talking from their ass when they speak about the business, economic, design, pricing and marketing issues. Anything that moves water in the tank qualifies as an alternative and thus competition to some degree. Products can have differing features and still be in competition with each other.

Also, I would love to see a Vortech last as long as the Tunze products I have that are going on 8-10 years with like $10 of parts at the most.

NO. This is probably in the top 5 most overrated list of gimmicks. Important to the easily wowed hobbyist, yes. To the coral? Hell no.

You're quoting me for some reason with your experience. I've been doing this for a while too, 7 years. And I had a 180g sps tank too since we're talking about our experience.

You're quoting me for some reason with your experience. I've been doing this for a while too, 7 years. And I had a 180g sps tank too since we're talking about our experience.

Wrong person... Meant to quote whoever mentioned that they have no competition... Probably Mark.

I thought the wp25 was more like a tunze than a mp10.

Anyways, the wp25 costs 70 bucks + 23 shipping. That seems like a lot to me when a year old used wireless Mp10 is up on the classifieds for $195 shipped.

Now if I could get in a group buy and get one for like 50 bucks, I would try it out.

Grumblecakes

thanks for the input from everyone, even though it got a bit heated. i went with an mp10. the wp25 looks interesting and i will consider it in the future, but ive been burned before by buying '1st gen' stuff (read apple products). plus i had to have it NOW (b-day cash burning a hole in my pocket)

i will concede fully though that features are not necessary going on 2 years with just regular powerheads and my animals are growing well. I remember a thread a while back where some guy claimed that vortechs were required to grow sps and it was impossible without them.

What really sold me though is the in tank foot print. my goal is to eventually have an equiptmentless display (no sump) where the only equipment is an intake for the skimmer and 'lo-pro' powerhead

I sold my MP10 because it would not work with the thicker glass in my new tank. I switched over to Tunze and haven't looked back.

I sold my MP10 because it would not work with the thicker glass in my new tank. I switched over to Tunze and haven't looked back.

Why would you look back? You can't, it didn't work on your "thicker glass"

What company makes the "WP-25," and where can I research and purchase them?

Thanks!

All the information you seek is already posted here.

It is a no name company from China. They are knock offs of the Tunze nano stream. You will have no warranty, no support, the "company" has no representation in the USA. You will be happy with such a cheap price but when it breaks you won't have a company like EcoTech to take care of you. You guys all cry about price but then cry when things break.

I'm sure the WP-25 is UL approved. lol

Why would you look back? You can't, it didn't work on your "thicker glass"

All the information you seek is already posted here.

It is a no name company from China. They are knock offs of the Tunze nano stream. You will have no warranty, no support, the "company" has no representation in the USA. You will be happy with such a cheap price but when it breaks you won't have a company like EcoTech to take care of you. You guys all cry about price but then cry when things break.

I'm sure the WP-25 is UL approved. lol

lol... jebao is not a no name company. hahahahaha.....

You're right. It's known for Chinese crap

You should really do some googling before you spout ignorance out of your stupid hole.

Archived