Coral Vue Hydros

Why do people get rid of their MP10?

Grumblecakes

Grumblecakes

DO NOT want to start a giant war. Im looking at getting an mp10 but it seems like everyday there is a new on in the hardware classifieds. Im just wondering why people get rid of them. ive read how great they are as well as how others have had problems with them, but i assume the ones for sale are working so there must be some other reason than just failure/problems.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They also hold their value well. Most MP10's sell quickly. So anyone in need of cash can make a quick buck by selling one. Don't hesitate on purchasing one, they are worth the cash.

skimlessinseattle

I have an original mp10, and an mp20, both of which still work today. That said, over time, the whirling noise they make when they crank up on pulse mode has gotten louder. Now, it isnt loud enough to be bothersome to me as my tanks are in my basement, but i think its the opposite for many people based on tank location. If it was in my bedroom, it would drive me batsheet crazy. I can actually hear my mp10 when in my living room, one floor above the tank.

disaster999

because they break in a year or 2, doesnt last years like other competitors, loud as #### and they company doesnt stand behind their product. they want you to pay ~$150 to have a part replaced where a simple bearing swap might be the only thing it needs.

Because they either leave the hobby or get a bigger tank and need a bigger vortech.

because they break in a year or 2, doesnt last years like other competitors, loud as #### and they company doesnt stand behind their product. they want you to pay ~$150 to have a part replaced where a simple bearing swap might be the only thing it needs.

Competitors? They don't have any IMO.

They're selling them and buying the wp25/40's. Because they realized they both do damn near the same thing.

Not even close. Those Chinese things can make a wave, but nobody runs vortechs in pulse mode unless they just bought it and think it's cool. There isn't a power head on the market that'll move as much water, with random flow, taking up basically no space in the tank as a vortech.

I'm with you- you hear everyone say don't get a Hydor Koralia, get a MP10, the you-won't-be-disappointed attitude and then you see many people selling them so you don't know what to think. Like a Subaru, once you get one you never go back and they DO hold their value well. The only reason I see people sell is to get a new Subaru. So, do people get rid of their MP10 to buy what? is there something Vortech has past the MP10, or are they constantly just revising and making, hopefully, a better MP10? I don't know so enquiring minds want to know.

I'm with you- you hear everyone say don't get a Hydor Koralia, get a MP10, the you-won't-be-disappointed attitude and then you see many people selling them so you don't know what to think.

I would never buy anything but a vortech. Except maybe if I had a 300g tank where you wouldn't really notice giant power heads in the tank.

I've been running my mp10 for a year now on 100% and I still can't hear it.

The bearing that we've heard of that needs replacing, is this something that can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot? OR is it also an issue of not being able to get into the thing to fix/replace so you have to buy a new one?

No you can replace the bearings, it will void your warranty though. Google Boca Bearings, seems to be where alot of people buy bearings for these things.

Kfmmartin19
I'll have to remember that. How's the company at replacing it themselves during their warranty?

Very good. Mine was having issues and they shipped me a new one for free and paid the postage for me to ship the old one back. Very quick and easy.

Not even close. Those Chinese things can make a wave, but nobody runs vortechs in pulse mode unless they just bought it and think it's cool. There isn't a power head on the market that'll move as much water, with random flow, taking up basically no space in the tank as a vortech.

Uh.. you may want to do some more research on that. I just got a WP25 and it does indeed have a random flow mode, and pushes every bit as much water as a MP-10. For 1/3rd the price, it can take up an extra inch in my tank.

What size tank are you putting the wp25 in? I got one for my 40B. I guess we'll see how it does when it finally gets in. I even think the wp25 flows more than the mp10 by quite a bit.

What size tank are you putting the wp25 in? I got one for my 40B. I guess we'll see how it does when it finally gets in. I even think the wp25 flows more than the mp10 by quite a bit.

It's in a 29G, and I have to set the power supply to 15v to keep it from blowing too hard.

I think it's ignorant to even argue stuff like this, if someone wants to spend whatever an Ecotech cost then by all means spend it the way you want to. Me, I'm cheap and I'll save money where I can aslong as it's not going to have any ill effects on my tank. The fact is this, they push the same amount of water, they have randomized flow, the wp40's are the size of a softball but you're not going to put a one in a small tank so as stated I'll spend less money and have it take a little more room in my tank, I have two Evo 750's in my tank and just knowing how big the wp40's are and seeing how much smaller the wp25's are I am willing to bet it will be smaller than my 750. And yes, I do believe quite a few people are selling their vortechs to purchase these. As a matter of a fact, I can think of 3 people who have done that exact same thing. Not stating that is why everyone is doing so.

Uh.. you may want to do some more research on that. I just got a WP25 and it does indeed have a random flow mode, and pushes every bit as much water as a MP-10. For 1/3rd the price, it can take up an extra inch in my tank.

Link to a wp25?

Link to a wp25?

Here you go

(Note, I bought mine through another vendor, but they're out currently). I'll be making a review soon. So far I love the thing... :3

Archived