Pod Your Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

FishBrawler

My cat is slightly retarded.

[/url]

Haha. I like the end!

For some reason, cats do some crazy $hit!

Mine likes math homework...

Screenshot_2013-07-31-19-56-22_zpsec389d

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I think the first thing I ever said to you was related to your hands.

Yup! http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/298921-beware-the-crappy-shallows-pics-post-3310-3311/?p=3867890

:)

Haha. I like the end!

For some reason, cats do some crazy $hit!

Mine likes math homework...

Screenshot_2013-07-31-19-56-22_zpsec389d

LOL, my other cat, Bubbles, loves books. We sometimes leave some out so she can lay on them and be really happy lol

jedimasterben

Clam is on its way :happydance:

Also, it's coming from Minneapolis, MN. WTF, I thought they were in WI.

Also just silicone'd the baffles for the new sump. Only two chambers this time, drain/skimmer/whatevs, and return, split pretty much evenly, each should be around 9 gallons in capacity.

jedimasterben

I had to give the DSLR back to my sister, and I think she is in NC right now, so not for a while. Will try and steal it next time she comes back here, but school is starting again soon, so she will start needing it constantly again.

jedimasterben

Not sure where I'm gonna put the algae scrubber. I want to do a waterfall scrubber, but I don't think I'll have the room for it. I can put a powerhead to get some wicked flow going on a submerged screen and have it lit by one side. I'm thinking I might use a PAR38 instead of a DIY using the Makers heatsink, but IDK, we'll see.

jedimasterben

Ordered some pink galaxy, Halimeda (I think it is copiosa, it's not monile or incrassata), a bit more Acanthophora spicifera, and 30 zig-zag periwinkles from ReefCleaners. I really hope the macros make it, I've had such bad luck with Reefcleaners macros lately.

EDIT: Actually, the Halimeda might be discoidea if my research is correct, we'll see once it arrives.

jedimasterben

The second Lori's anthias I haven't seen since I moved the caulerpa to the rear of the tank, where she was hiding, so I don't think it's still alive unfortunately. The boisterous one, though, is still here.

I TRIED to decapsulate some brine shrimp the day before yesterday, and realized I suck knobs at it, pretty sure I just destroyed 2Tbsp of 'premium BBS'. Oh well. While attempting that, I took out about 1.5 cups of water from the reef, and started bubbling some of the eggs. I did half a spoonful (the little spoon that came with the eggs from BrineShrimpDirect, I think it's like 1/4tsp), and holy brine shrimp, batman! The damn thing was FULL of them!! I've never seen so much life concentrated into such a tiny space lol

The reason I hatched them was to feed to the anthias, as she was not eating any of my pellets, nor was she even picking at mysis or Cyclop-eeze. Dropped them in, and immediately it went nuts along with every other fish and all corals - I even saw one of my digitatas catch and eat a few shrimpies :)

This morning, I fed some 200-300 micron golden pearls from BSD, and the anthias ate them with gusto! Score!

I'm gonna go to the coast again today, Petco is WAY cheaper on cat litter and food than even Walmart is here, and it gives me an excuse to get some Chipotle (seriously, best place to eat at, ever) and visit a couple of LFS. I want to go to the LFS that has $5 frags and grab a couple more, I think I remember seeing a very small ponape bird in there somewhere, if it is really there (and I wasn't just making it up lol), then I'll grab it. The SPS I have in the tank now have covered up more of the spots where I broke them at, and one has two new branches poking out :)

do the clams ever detach themselves of the frag plate? or if that's not possible i don't know, never had a clam, anyways, nice clam. i've always been to scared to try one.

Wow Ben! Nice price on the clam! If I can find a blue squammy for that price, I'll totally go for it. Gonna keep watching!!!!!

Sorry about the one Lori's. Guess you can name the remaining one Lori now. ;)

jedimasterben

Clam pics please

Not possible, unfortunately. She's directly under the water's surface and I can't take top-down pics with anything but a DSLR, the reflection from the LEDs is just too much for the phone to handle.

do the clams ever detach themselves of the frag plate? or if that's not possible i don't know, never had a clam, anyways, nice clam. i've always been to scared to try one.

They detach if they don't like the spot they're in (flow/light/etc) or they do it when they get larger and think they can support themselves with their weight alone, and they completely close the byssal opening.

Wow Ben! Nice price on the clam! If I can find a blue squammy for that price, I'll totally go for it. Gonna keep watching!!!!!

Good luck lol. Mine HAD to be a typo. They posted another blue squammy yesterday that was 1.75" and it was $170, mine is a 2"er. I'm super glad they honored it!

Sorry about the one Lori's. Guess you can name the remaining one Lori now. ;)

I don't really name fish, but just for you I will :)

Got a bit larger frag of ponape bird, another M. spongodes (because I didn't remember I had just bought one, D'OH!), and two little chalk bass - if you ever see those and want them, snatch them up, they're really uncommon, even here, and places around here all carry everything that is Caribbean!

Tomorrow I have a lot to do. My salinity and wifi expansions came in for the Reef Angel, so I've gotta get it programmed and get the wires run to everything, I've gotta switch the sump over to the 29g, get a piece of wood for stand I made for this tank that will now be used for the 40B planted tank, and finish getting the house in order before the wifey gets back from Kentucky. Anyone got a way to make more hours in the day?

it gives me an excuse to get some Chipotle (seriously, best place to eat at, ever)

I've never agreed with a statement more in my entire life.

Archived