Innovative Marine Aquariums

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40 breeders would look good with a euro brace instead of that black trim but I think they need some kind of support to prevent excessive bowing.

Why don't I ever get a floaty heart smiley? You just hit like and leave before breakfast . We might need to start seeing other people...you know, their threads.

jedimasterben

I've got some man-:wub: for ya, Psycho, but there is no smiley that is manly enough to truly express that. There is this, though. sign0187.gif

:lol:

IMG_20130704_141736.jpg

IMG_20130704_141807.jpg

IMG_20130704_141749.jpg

IMG_20130704_141759.jpg

jedimasterben

I'm waiting for them to start all opening up again before i do that. A lot of the zoas are still closed and I dip them once or twice a week in peroxide and they're looking better, but still not open.

40 breeders would look good with a euro brace instead of that black trim but I think they need some kind of support to prevent excessive bowing.

yea....thats how I feel. Oh well.

yea....thats how I feel. Oh well.

On the other hand...perhaps I should find out.

MUAHAHAHahahaahahh!

I'm waiting for them to start all opening up again before i do that. A lot of the zoas are still closed and I dip them once or twice a week in peroxide and they're looking better, but still not open.

I'm not so sure about this. When I dip a zoantid frag it takes about 2 days for it to open, sometimes longer. If you're dipping twice a week, that's basically ensuring the frag never opens.

jedimasterben

I'm not so sure about this. When I dip a zoantid frag it takes about 2 days for it to open, sometimes longer. If you're dipping twice a week, that's basically ensuring the frag never opens.

The zoas that are going to open will open within minutes to hours of the peroxide dip, only the more stubborn ones take longer. More and more seem to open daily as the brown gunk that encases them is removed. The ones that get the iodine dips don't do anything, the brown stuff stays. I've been dosing vitamin c twice daily at around 6.18ppm (1/2 teaspoon, 2224mg in 95g of water), that's been since I started the skimmer up, so it's been what, two weeks-ish? I'm going to double it to 1tsp twice daily, and in a week I think I will increase it again. Hopefully all this stuff starts opening up so I can figure out what corals are mine and what corals are my friends'! It's his red rock flower nem that is in some of the pictures in the front of the tank to the left of the caulerpa forest, and some of the zoas are his too, but until they open, we won't know :)

The zoas that are going to open will open within minutes to hours of the peroxide dip, only the more stubborn ones take longer. More and more seem to open daily as the brown gunk that encases them is removed.

I don't know Benny, must be some magic sauce. Anything I dip in peroxide takes a minimum of 2 days to open. Either you are diluting to such an extent that it is very weak solution or it's a magic sauce.

jedimasterben

I don't know Benny, must be some magic sauce. Anything I dip in peroxide takes a minimum of 2 days to open. Either you are diluting to such an extent that it is very weak solution or it's a magic sauce.

I do 50/50 using 3%, so a 1.5% solution.

jedimasterben

Forgot to say earlier. Everything minus the dragonet is eating pellets now, including the wrasse. The tang didn't take to mine at first (at the store he had them on a different brand, so different taste and smell), but now it's wolfing them down. I fed them all this morning, and a few minutes later I looked at the tank, and saw the tang with his face shoved as far into a rock as it could, and then it backed up, and rammed its head back in! I was like dafuq is he doing :huh: A few seconds later, he pops his head out and a pellet comes flying out and floats behind him. He turns around and is looking for it, and when he found it, he fluttered his fins and was zooming forward to grab it... but right then, a chromis DARTED in and took it right from in front of him! I lol'd at that for like 10 minutes!

jedimasterben

Kat's new fuge light.

IMG_20130706_012133.jpg

IMG_20130706_021627.jpg

IMG_20130706_012207.jpg

185 PAR (uncorrected) at 18" depth, to support both diverse macroalgae and several types of corals, in addition to being able to keep frags under it to get them out of the display. Two 5000K Rebel ES, four 445nm Rebel ES, three 660nm Rebel, two 470nm generic, 60 degree lenses on the white, deep red, and blue, 90 degree on the royal blue, otherwise PAR was around 350 with the royal blue having 60 degree lenses, as well.

And I realized after it was fully assembled that the light is not symmetrical... and it's kinda driving me nuts, but the optics are already attached with a bit of silicone, so I don't want to delay their drying any more than I have to. Oy.

I actually had it way too powerful before this final design. I used another trio of NW-RB-RB and with 60 degree lenses, PAR was around 500 at 18", way too much, so I removed the trio and changed the RB to 90 degree lenses.

IMG_20130706_001345.jpg

IMG_20130706_004350.jpg

That array would also light up a small tank, a 12" cube or so. The NW and RB LEDs are only at 700mA, so around 75% of their total output, so I can actually get even more PAR out of it. The reds would be great for a macroalgae tank (algae prefer red light to blue light by around 4:1 or 6:1), but would be removed for a standard reef.

jedimasterben

ITT Ben takes light build orders, I need a light over my 8 gallon lol.

Eh, maybe. It takes a whole lotta time to put these together, and since I don't have access to wholesale prices, the cost is more than normal DIY (but I guess without the work, that kinda makes up for it). I could use BXRA chips to make a 'mini' evil cluster, but the cost reduction would be slim.

It wouldn't cost too much if I used non-dimmable drivers, Meanwell LPC-35-700 are around $16 each, or if making a more complex array with multiple strings, LDD are $7.33 each and a power supply is around $30-35.

jedimasterben

Very soon. Unfortunately I was not home except for a short time in the day all this week since family was in, but I got it done totally last night. Only thing left is to let the silicone that is holding the lenses on fully dry. I tried using thermal adhesive, but it just doesn't stick to the lenses for some reason, and had to switch to using silicone. I'm gonna have to do the same for all of the LEDs on my big array, too, unfortunately. It's ridiculously messy, especially considering that I have to remove the still-wet thermal adhesive that is already on my lenses. I had gunk all over me last night.

jedimasterben

I don't think I'd go that far, but I hope it continues on the path it is on!

I also miss having a DSLR at my disposal :lol:

Archived