Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

Holy snickers, clean your counters!

Don't you hate how there is a beautiful tank and that is what people notice!...

Pay attension to the tank!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Some quick pics. I was trying to take a video, but the app kept crashing, so I cleaned the back wall and stirred up some stuff to get into the filter, so letting it settle back down before getting video.

2013_08_10__18_51_11.jpg

2013_08_10__18_52_30.jpg

2013_08_10__18_51_43.jpg

2013_08_10__18_52_35.jpg

This pic shows how the white LEDs don't hit in this corner very well from how the heatsinks are tilted. I thought it would lead to more even lighting, but I guess not!

2013_08_10__18_52_41.jpg

Still getting over 130 PAR here, so it's good :)

2013_08_10__18_52_52.jpg

jedimasterben

Mounted most of the corals on the frag rack. Left some of the palys that I know aren't mine, and some that I have larger pieces, and some of the zoas I got from Aquascapers because they don't look a thing like they are supposed to. Brought in another small hunk of rock and mounted half a dozen zoa bits to it to ahve them fill in. Also played around with powerhead placement. I don't particularly want to turn them down (one pulses at 100%, the other is 30% constant, then they switch after a few minutes, but soon they'll be on 'Reef Crest' mode from the Reef Angel).

I also went ahead and changed my drain tube from just a clear tube to FlexPVC. The bulkhead has a barb built-in, so I needed to use a bit of the clear tube, which I hooked onto another barb with a slip fitting, which I glued the FlexPVC to. As soon as I turned on the flow, it was loud as all hell, and made SO MANY BUBBLES. It activated full-siphon from the Durso drain, which caused the toilet-flush sound every couple of seconds. I played around with the tube a bit, and I got that stopped, but it's still at around half-siphon, lowering the water level, which now causes a splashing sound from the water falling. I can at least live with that for now until I can figure out a solution.

I'll get some pics soon, but I'll have the DSLR this weekend. :happydance:

jedimasterben

I love that shelf rock, Ben! Goniopora looks nice, full, and healthy. Is it healing/growing at the base yet?

No, it has the same receded areas, and from what Zeph said about it, it won't heal because it is on the sand, and encrusting species cannot live on the sand. That being said, recession has stopped and it still has full polyp extension (unless I mess with the powerheads and blast it with flow, or if one of the conchs decides to trample it :lol:).

My other red/pink goniopora is alive and growing over the places where it died, I has a happy :happydance:

Up-top shot of that clam please? Thank you!

I need the DSLR for that, so that'll come this weekend.

jedimasterben

Thanks tibbs! Means a lot!

It looks a lot different even since the last pictures, now that I distributed my corals to the rocks. Hopefully the zoas from Aquascapers are truly used to higher lighting like they advertise. :)

jedimasterben

pH has been low for the past 24 hours, except for last night when I added kalk'd topoff water. Salinity and temperature have been fairly stable.

RApH.png

RAsalinity.png

RAtemp.png

I need to recalculate how much the Aqualifter pumps in 60 seconds, figure out exactly how much it takes to fill the tank for a day's topoff, and set the Reef Angel to dose that much over the day. I obviously don't need to worry about salinity changes (the drop in the picture above is where I replaced two gallons of tank water with RO/DI to begin dropping the salinity to 35ppt, only dropped it one point, estimating total system volume at 80g, I'll need 8.8g of RO/DI to change it to 35ppt), so dosing it all during the night time will be fine.

I also ordered a 5-pin DIN/MIDI cable to connect my two Tunze powerheads to the RA. Whoop whoop!

I'm just racking up crap I ordered that I'm now not going to use. The Tunze controller, TLF Kalk reactor and Phosban 550, tons of LEDs. Gonna be a nice hunk of money if I can get it all sold!

I expected more pictures of the Blue Squammy. I see a Deresa too. :) I love those Blue Squammies so much It I cant stop thinking about getting another. THey may not be around forever....one never knows do oneeeeeeee?

jedimasterben

So there are two versions of the Reef Angel controller. Only difference is that one has more memory capacity for custom code (and is like $50 more).

I have the 'standard' RA with no custom code, and two expansions, for salinity and Wifi. If I try and have it also control my two Tunze powerheads, it's over the memory capacity. It says on the site that you will be limited on how much custom code and how many expansions, but seriously, one expansion?

jedimasterben

Roberto (Reef Angel creator) told me to code only the wave functions needed, so I did, and it stopped just short of the memory limit, so I was able to upload it.

Only other change, other than prepping to control the Tunzes tomorrow when the cable comes, is to set my Aqualifter to turn on every 60 minutes for 125 seconds, which will dispense around 3L of water, with 1/2 saturation of kalk. That should be close enough to being an ATO (I'll manually do it when necessary) and keep pH and cal/alk in line for the time being, til stuff starts to grow :)

jedimasterben

pH over the last 12 hours.

ReefAngelWebChart.png

Goes up by a little bit just after the top of every hour, which is when the kalk pump comes on.

my ph has never been what it's supposed to. I believe it's the probe that's the issue more than anything. even after calibrating numerous times.

jedimasterben

Mine is fairly accurate compared to my Hanna pH meter. I'm not too worried about the numbers so much, but the change in the numbers.

I'm scared to check my PH because if it varies or is high or low, then I'm going to worry about it and install 60 things to fix it when clearly everything is going fine. Rehype installed a CO2 scrubber to stabilize PH. But his observation was that it did not change anything in the tank itself or with his livestock. Only on the monitors.

jedimasterben

Yep, I don't stress about it, but I am mostly just keeping the swing in check. Obviously, the tank inhabitants couldn't give any less of a damn than they already don't give, you saw the growth I got in the past before the crash. I just don't want to overdo it with the kalk.

Although, last night I was manually adding kalk before I sent the new code to the RA to do it in small spurts, and I added almost a gallon of kalk to the system - it raised the pH by 0.12 or something like that. I got all worked up for nothing :P

DRLOVEtoreef

It's one of my favorite pieces! But wait til you see the red/pink goni :)

You are probably right ... for me, the green goni's have a sentimental place in my heart ... it was one of the first corals I ever purchased back in 2001 ... it did amazing in the worst setup I could come up with :) ... horrible filtration, crummy powerheads everywhere and a couple PC quads I bought from Champion Lighting ... I used to love flipping through their catalog at all of the amazing products!

Sadly, after 3-4 months a rock fell on it and it never recovered ... since then, I have never tried again

Archived