Innovative Marine Aquariums

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Quick update - new sump is in place (good baby jesus the old one was FILLED with detritus, had a 1/4" layer on the bottom of the chamber with the rock in it!!), Reef Angel is programmed and ready to be put in! The overflow is silent now, but the noise instead is now the splashing as it hits the water, and good god, the microbubbles it makes! I put a mesh filter sock on it to try and help, but I don't have a sock holder, so it is not holding it in place and the water pressure just pushes it down and the bubbles return en masse.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Tadaaaa!

2013_08_04__23_31_39.jpg

2013_08_04__23_31_59.jpg

Controller is in place... and ultra ugly. I don't wanna put it inside the stand, even though I have a bit of room now, but I might have to, cause this is just ridiculous.

2013_08_04__23_48_03.jpg

And a video of it all to show just how ridiculous the microbubble situation is.

Also, please don't eat me, I has a sleepy.

2013_08_04__23_33_05.jpg

jedimasterben

I've got some that I don't particularly know how I managed to get onto the barb on the return, but I would need to find a barb to slip fitting to use flexPVC I have, and I haven't located one just yet.

But, soon-horse.jpg

jedimasterben

Ok, so i just found out that there is now only one version of the Reef Angel controller as far as teh dimming ports. There is now a little switch you can change inside the box to change it from PWM (newer digital dimming for mostly LEDs right now) to Analog 0-10v (what all other controllers use for dimming only, also compatible with Tunze pumps). I can now control my two Tunze powerheads directly from my controller, and I don't need the Tunze controller that I JUST bought. Damnit.

jedimasterben

Well, it's only been a few hours, but I like it. :) I need to calibrate the pH and salinity probes, they've both got pretty wonky readings!

I'm just kinda mad at myself for not doing the reading on the Reef Angel and spending $170 on a Tunze 7096 controller! D'oh!

I'm just kinda mad at myself for not doing the reading on the Reef Angel and spending $170 on a Tunze 7096 controller! D'oh!

Can you return it? Otherwise, there is always the classifieds.

jedimasterben

Can you return it? Otherwise, there is always the classifieds.

I don't have the manuals anymore, I don't think, so I'm just gonna resell it. Meh.

Ok, so i just found out that there is now only one version of the Reef Angel controller as far as teh dimming ports. There is now a little switch you can change inside the box to change it from PWM (newer digital dimming for mostly LEDs right now) to Analog 0-10v (what all other controllers use for dimming only, also compatible with Tunze pumps). I can now control my two Tunze powerheads directly from my controller, and I don't need the Tunze controller that I JUST bought. Damnit.

Wait... I was looking at ordering one this week but they still have both listed on the site. Do you mind posting where you found that info?

I've got some that I don't particularly know how I managed to get onto the barb on the return, but I would need to find a barb to slip fitting to use flexPVC I have, and I haven't located one just yet.

But, soon-horse.jpg

Why is there a pony in this picture?

jedimasterben

Why is there a pony in this picture?

'Why isn't there a pony in all other pictures?' is a better question. :)

jedimasterben

Calibrated my pH and salinity probes. pH probe was about 10% off, and the salinity probe was reading at 46ppt, calibrated it, and now it's at 39ppt, which is around 1.029sg. Refractometer says it's around 38ppt, so it's very close, basically within margin of error.

I did a full round of tests tonight in the first time since... uh, a long time. I've tested one or two things on and off, but not a full round.

Calcium: 425ppm [Red Sea]

Alkalinity: 208ppm [Hanna]
Magnesium: 1500ppm [Red Sea]
Nitrate: 15ppm [Red Sea]

Phosphate: .04ppm [Red Sea]
Iodine: .06ppm [Red Sea]

I measured nitrate and phosphate the other day, and I got 0.4 and 0.01, respectively. Shot up today. I've got hair algae cropping up in places (along with brown, stringy slime, not cyano, it is stuck to the rock, doesn't come off unless I scrub it with a brush). What I don't understand, though, is why my macroalgaes are all dying off. All the stuff from Reefs2Go is either dead or withering away and breaking apart. I absolutely will not be purchasing from them in the future.

My purple gorg is once again covered, now nearly 100%, in a brown algae. It is in good flow (the purple blade gorg is right next to it with no issues), but I think I will move it to be directly in front of one of the powerheads to see if it helps it out. It still has polyp extension through the algae (WTF).

IDK what's going on. Basically ULNS one day, not the next. Ay yi yi. At least my pH, salinity, and temperature are pretty darn stable throughout the day. I'll post the graphs the RA gives for them tomorrow once it has 'good' data after the calibrations.

I heard all the stuff you told me on gtalk but I'm still going to stay stop with the vitamin C dosing. You tank has to stabilize on it's own without you doing anything that you think helps. GFO, skimmer, water changes, Carbon, Macros. Stick to that LONG TERM. I know you said water changes don't make a dent, I don't know Benny, I'm sure you've checked your source water. The cactus caulerpa in your display is doing well you said so macros are flourishing, maybe R2G shipment got heated and cooked or something.

I heard all the stuff you told me on gtalk but I'm still going to stay stop with the vitamin C dosing. You tank has to stabilize on it's own without you doing anything that you think helps.

VItamin C dosing is just carbon dosing like vodka. His skimmer is working like a beast so I don't see why he should stop.

Nice Bass you got there ben, i love them guys.. been doing really fine with mine just getting chase alot by the orange-tail damsel that's all. You're wiring is out of control. i can not top that with you. lol :)

Archived