Top Shelf Aquatics

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think scrubbers are the neatest thing. Would love to have incorporated one in my sump setup. I hope to someday.

Do you by chance have a picture of your DD blue squammie?

jedimasterben

I still haven't gotten ahold of the DSLR, but funny you should mention it. Yesterday, it disappeared!! :o

I came home from work, and was checking out the tank, when I looked on the rock with that clam and the derasa, but the squammy was gone! I was like WHAT THE WHERE THE HELL DID IT GO OMG WTF WHAT! Then I looked behind the rock and it had jumped down there! :lol: It had already attached to one of the roots of the caulerpa, too! Luckily I was able to keep hold of the byssal threads and break their bond to the root, and put it back on the rock. It dropped the byssal threads it had made and reattached within the hour.

Gave me quite a scare!

I still haven't gotten ahold of the DSLR, but funny you should mention it. Yesterday, it disappeared!! :o

I came home from work, and was checking out the tank, when I looked on the rock with that clam and the derasa, but the squammy was gone! I was like WHAT THE WHERE THE HELL DID IT GO OMG WTF WHAT! Then I looked behind the rock and it had jumped down there! :lol: It had already attached to one of the roots of the caulerpa, too! Luckily I was able to keep hold of the byssal threads and break their bond to the root, and put it back on the rock. It dropped the byssal threads it had made and reattached within the hour.

Gave me quite a scare!

OMG...I freaked when I read "it disappeared"!!!!! You can never lose that clam!!!! :)
jedimasterben

OMG...I freaked when I read "it disappeared"!!!!! You can never lose that clam!!!! :)

Ok, since you told me not to, I won't! :)

NirvanaandTool

Following along. Love the tank, perfect dimensions - I would have one of them if I didnt get a sweet deal on a 90RR from a friend.

Congrats on getting the algae scrubber working- I might have to build one of them for my 90. I'm very curious how your macro does with that running now - I have this fear that if I did one and it took off, it would starve out my macro in my display.

And love the Mega light. How are all the corals taking to it now that its been on for a little while?

Excellent news on the algae scrubber, Ben.

I like your light renderings but they go over my head. Woosh! All I can think when I see them is "Oooh pretty colors..." :lol:

jedimasterben

Following along. Love the tank, perfect dimensions - I would have one of them if I didnt get a sweet deal on a 90RR from a friend.

Congrats on getting the algae scrubber working- I might have to build one of them for my 90. I'm very curious how your macro does with that running now - I have this fear that if I did one and it took off, it would starve out my macro in my display.

Last time I had a scrubber going, I didn't have it 'properly' lit on one side, so the filtration capacity wasn't the best, so macroalgae continued to grow. This time I'm not so sure they'll make it.

And love the Mega light. How are all the corals taking to it now that its been on for a little while?

The SPS have all either bleached or died from being smothered in cyano. Almost a cup of GFO and I still have detectable phosphate and not a lot of nitrate, which is what brings cyano forth.

Excellent news on the algae scrubber, Ben.

I like your light renderings but they go over my head. Woosh! All I can think when I see them is "Oooh pretty colors..." :lol:

:lol:

Basically, they're just to show the light spread, which turns out to be a mix of pretty colors :)

Hi Benny! Whatchu doin?

Played a little bit of Saints Row IV, and now I'm going to bed. I saw my Lori's anthias today. I'm really not sure how it is alive, I never see it anymore, and I never see it eat. I've tried live brine, too, but no dice.

No pressure. :lol:

:lol:

NirvanaandTool

Last time I had a scrubber going, I didn't have it 'properly' lit on one side, so the filtration capacity wasn't the best, so macroalgae continued to grow. This time I'm not so sure they'll make it.

The SPS have all either bleached or died from being smothered in cyano. Almost a cup of GFO and I still have detectable phosphate and not a lot of nitrate, which is what brings cyano forth.

Ah ok. I gotcha. Yea if things are lit right and its properly sized, those things seem to take off and pretty much shut down all other forms of nutrient export. Well here's hoping it does well for you and at least gets rid of the extra phosphate so the cyano disappears. I guess you could always reduce the size of the screen once the cyano is gone so the macroalgae still has some nutrients.

Are you going to try to keep the macro or are you not too concerned about it? Do any of your fish like to live/hide in it?

Ouch, sorry to hear about the SPS. That's a shame. I feel your pain though - I'm battling a bout of what I believe is lyngbya cyano in my 40B right now. Working on reducing my phosphate - even started vinegar dosing to try to combat it. Need to get rid of the stuff before I move everything into the 90.

jedimasterben

Ah ok. I gotcha. Yea if things are lit right and its properly sized, those things seem to take off and pretty much shut down all other forms of nutrient export. Well here's hoping it does well for you and at least gets rid of the extra phosphate so the cyano disappears. I guess you could always reduce the size of the screen once the cyano is gone so the macroalgae still has some nutrients.

Oh no, once the cyano is gone, I'm doubling my feedings (and then doubling, then doubling) until I max out the processing abilities of the scrubber - the more food, the better! :)

Are you going to try to keep the macro or are you not too concerned about it? Do any of your fish like to live/hide in it?

Not really. The only ones that hid were the Lori's anthias when they were first introduced, and now the remaining one just lays between two rocks all the time, when it isn't hiding elsewhere. :/

Ouch, sorry to hear about the SPS. That's a shame. I feel your pain though - I'm battling a bout of what I believe is lyngbya cyano in my 40B right now. Working on reducing my phosphate - even started vinegar dosing to try to combat it. Need to get rid of the stuff before I move everything into the 90.

It's not the first time I've mass-murdered coral, but I still don't like to do it. Luckily these were all inexpensive pieces this time and not $300 in coral.

jedimasterben

So I hooked back up the Aqualifter as a time-dosed ATO (still haven't adjusted not to dump A LOT in yet, but whatevs), but this time I added a bit over 1tsp of kalk per gallon (I think I added 12tsp for 9 gallons). pH hasn't spiked, but is remaining consistent in the 8-8.1 range. Interesting.

NirvanaandTool

Oh no, once the cyano is gone, I'm doubling my feedings (and then doubling, then doubling) until I max out the processing abilities of the scrubber - the more food, the better! :)

Not really. The only ones that hid were the Lori's anthias when they were first introduced, and now the remaining one just lays between two rocks all the time, when it isn't hiding elsewhere. :/

It's not the first time I've mass-murdered coral, but I still don't like to do it. Luckily these were all inexpensive pieces this time and not $300 in coral.

Now you're talkin! That's one way to approach having a scrubber. I think I have a solution now to my scrubber worries. Feed more!

Ah ok. Sucks about the last Lori, hope it pulls through and comes out again :( Maybe you'll get something else eventually that will hang out in there. 2 of my 3 waspfish like to chill in the macro especially the cockatoo. I have to have macro in my tank for that fish - she loves it too much to kill it off with a scrubber.

Well thats good - killing cheap coral has less of a sting of killing that pricey bunch of coral. Been there done that.

jedimasterben

Cyano is still pretty awful. At least twice daily I'm blowing it off of the corals. Just proof that the myth that more flow keeps cyano away is bogus - the gorgonians I have are directly in front of a 2500GPH powerhead and are still covered.

And since I've gotten the waterfall scrubber going, my skimmer hasn't done anything. Makes bubbles, but almost no skimmate at all.

jedimasterben

Yeah, eff that noise. I'd rather not rely on chemicals for it, especially since there's no guarantee it won't be back in a month.

Yeah, eff that noise. I'd rather not rely on chemicals for it, especially since there's no guarantee it won't be back in a month.

Eventually your scrubber is going to kick the cyano's @ss, right???? :lol:

:slap: Oreally. When did that stop you from dosing whatever it is you are always dosing to get rid of whatever plagues you. You've dosed every available substance on earth. Chemiclean is a solution to cyano. :furious:

Archived