SaltCritters.com

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 4

I used to have one when I started this hobby with a 10g. It was my last survivor ha. That shrimp sure knows how to live under dreadful conditions/ live rocks only.

That clown pleco I have still survived from when I 'broke down' the tank it was in. By 'broke down', I mean let sit with no water movement until the water evaporated out of it. There was around an inch of water in it when I looked over and was like well, I guess I can take the wood and stuff out of it now, but lo and behold, I see something zip around the bottom, and it was that little pleco.

Rescaped the tank a bit today - with the MP40s being directly in the center of the side panels, can't really keep coral right in front of them, so had to move the rocks around. Placed another dry rock into it, and took a small rock out that was covered in bubble algae. I pulled a kat and did pull as much bubble algae out as possible. It was over a measuring cup full, and it all came from two rocks. What I thought was a cool texture on a rock turned out to be pure bubble algae, and when I pulled it off, that part of the rock was significantly smaller lol. I then rinsed the rocks of out of the tank, so hopefully that knocks it down by quite a bit. I guess I won't really need the rabbitfish if it does stay away this time.

Took some random pics.

This little thing has been through hell, lived under the sand for a week, and has been blown all over the tank, but still alive and still looks great!

IMG_20130914_201615639.jpg

IMG_20130914_201632035.jpg

This is more than likely one of the two last fish I buy from local stores - giving them one more chance. The other fishy was boisterous right up until I took out the camera, but it'll show up soon.

IMG_20130914_201806273.jpg

IMG_20130914_201818220.jpg

Look who I found under a rock!

IMG_20130914_201937615.jpg

After I started stirring everything up and moving stuff around, the watchman goby was mad. He bit me!

IMG_20130914_224508423.jpg

Will have to finish tomorrow, wayyy too cloudy to keep going, and it didn't really go down that much after 10 minutes or so, so to be continued.

IMG_20130914_225639178_HDR.jpg

And I also snapped this of the FW tank. I love this little clown pleco.

IMG_20130914_200818252.jpg

Ohhh it loooks good!

Take the damn frag rack outta the way before you post a new FTS :haha:

Do you have any FTS's of the FW? Looks good

:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

Here's the past six days or so of the RA output.

DT temp (no heaters or chillers):
temp.png

Salinity (the funky dips are from the probe accidentally being pulled out of the water):
salinity.png

pH:
pH.png

NirvanaandTool

I need to get the wifi module so I can do that.

Are you running your Evil cluster off the RA? I'm currently pricing out what add-ons I want from Roberto and the price is adding up really quick :scarry:

I need to get the wifi module so I can do that.

Are you running your Evil cluster off the RA? I'm currently pricing out what add-ons I want from Roberto and the price is adding up really quick :scarry:

No. That is controlled by a Typhon since the LDD turn off when given a 0 signal, I don't have to worry about taking up a relay slot. Although, I only have my return pump, skimmer pump, and algae scrubber light on relays, so I have a few extra ;)

Welcome to the dark side Jedi. ;)

Find your shipment yet?

Oh lawd.

Mariah never texted me back and hasn't called me this morning, but she might not have left the hospital yet.

NirvanaandTool

Ah ok. That works. How do you like the Typhoon?

I thought about adding a Typhoon or a Storm onto my system to control just the LEDs. Certainly would be cheaper than the RA PWM expansion & an expansion hub.

I like it, especially since Meep has reprogrammed it with a few nifty features. I started using the Typhon about a year before I got the RA, so I like it. I also think it's easier to have the lighting controlled separately from the RA. It would be nice to have some advanced cloud cover, but that will hopefully come soon to the Typhon.

Hey Ben, you posted in another thread you don't use a water heater.. What is your ambient temp and what is your tank at regularly? From your screen shots it seems to be 77-78?

Ambient temperature is 78F when I'm at work or out of the house and 74F when I am home. No heaters, no chillers required. Even when my home A/C blew a motor a couple of months ago, the temperature never exceeded 80F (the house was 89F I believe).

NirvanaandTool

I like it, especially since Meep has reprogrammed it with a few nifty features. I started using the Typhon about a year before I got the RA, so I like it. I also think it's easier to have the lighting controlled separately from the RA. It would be nice to have some advanced cloud cover, but that will hopefully come soon to the Typhon.

Ah nice. Glad its working out for you. That's the kind of news I wanted to hear. I'll have to look into them more. My current RA is set to a 10V pwm so I couldnt even use that for the new LED build - if I stick with RA, I'd have to get the PWM expansion and have Roberto scale it down to 5V pwm.

Thanks!

I also tested cal and alk today.

Cal - 410ppm [Red Sea]

Alk - 229ppm (12.82dKH) [Hanna]

Hmm. A weeeee bit out of balance. Go figure. Gonna quit kalk'ing for a few weeks to let the alk come down, and will dose calcium chloride in the meantime.

So this skimmer is so damn finicky. Overflowing constantly, and I can never seem to have it adjusted right for more than a week or so. So I took a rock that used to hold it up in the 40B sump (since it had an even higher water level) and set it on that, we'll see if it's less finicky now.

I also need to put in a ball valve on my return pump. When I had the Mag7, everything was quiet going into the sump, even without filter socks or anything in that chamber to reduce splashing. Now, if I don't have a filter sock (only the 1 micron ones work for this), it is intense splashing that gets everything in the bottom of the stand wet, which is not good at all. I have a piece of PVC that I have it flow into, but it is still way too loud. No me gusta.

I also cleaned off the algae scrubber screen. Only a couple of small patches of green hair algae, mostly just that strange slimy stuff it's had for a while now. I may need to use a bigger pump for it.

IMG_20130922_205224681.jpg

IMG_20130922_205206944.jpg

Archived