ReefCleaners.org

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least the ATS is growing something. Maybe now that its clean, GHA will take over the brown stuff and start to grow better.

I've been cleaning it off every other week or so and that's all the growth it's ever gotten lol. But it looks like all new screens usually go through some sort of slimy stage like that - my previous screen never did, but apparently it was an anomaly.

NirvanaandTool

Oh gotcha. That stuff is all so new to me. I might consider one for my 90 to go over my separate 10g fuge. Figure it doesnt hurt to order some reds and rb Luxeon ES leds when I make my Steve's order for the M's and cyan's and give it a shot.

How much flow are you putting through it? How big is it?

I've got a Maxijet MJ1200 on it, but it's probably not enough - the more flow you put through it, the better. Use 30-50GPH per inch length of the scrubber (I'm actually a bit under that, which doesn't help), and use one 660nm LED per 2"x2" area, but you determine the size according to the amount of food you want to feed. Check out the algae scrubber forum http://algaescrubber.net/ for more info on all that.

I have a Mag5 here that I could use, but that would probably be too much flow.

Burn it with fire!!!!

So this skimmer is so damn finicky. Overflowing constantly, and I can never seem to have it adjusted right for more than a week or so. So I took a rock that used to hold it up in the 40B sump (since it had an even higher water level) and set it on that, we'll see if it's less finicky now.

I also need to put in a ball valve on my return pump. When I had the Mag7, everything was quiet going into the sump, even without filter socks or anything in that chamber to reduce splashing. Now, if I don't have a filter sock (only the 1 micron ones work for this), it is intense splashing that gets everything in the bottom of the stand wet, which is not good at all. I have a piece of PVC that I have it flow into, but it is still way too loud. No me gusta.

I also cleaned off the algae scrubber screen. Only a couple of small patches of green hair algae, mostly just that strange slimy stuff it's had for a while now. I may need to use a bigger pump for it.

IMG_20130922_205224681.jpg

IMG_20130922_205206944.jpg

NirvanaandTool

Could always valve down the Mag 5 right?

Thanks for the tips. I have no clue how much my gluttons will end up eating so I'll likely start the tank without the scrubber and add it later down the line. I've been checking out the scrubber forum but I need to read it more.

Yep. As I've said before, I feed my tank the same amount of food regardless of what's living in it (the exception being a few weeks ago when I fed nothing). Now that my filtration isn't limping along anymore (the skimmer has been far better now that I've raised it up a few inches), I've been feeding a bit more and a bit more daily. Still nowhere near what I used to feed daily, maybe still at 1/3 of that, but until the algae scrubber fills in nicely, I won't be doing that.

Plus, I wasn't going to pay $35 to ship $60 of fish.

Whatever it will eat. From what I understand, most of the ones from LA will eat live artemia.

Plus, I got my leopard wrasse to eat after two days, and those are just as notorious for never eating :)

llama roadkill
Whatever it will eat. From what I understand, most of the ones from LA will eat live artemia.

Plus, I got my leopard wrasse to eat after two days, and those are just as notorious for never eating :)

Cool. I'd find that good for people who want one, but in my case raising live food is an issue! No more tanks, even if it is not specifically for fish!

Tanks? Why would you hatch artemia in a tank? I use a 500mL beaker filled with a couple hundred mils of tank water, bubble it for 24 hours.

llama roadkill
Tanks? Why would you hatch artemia in a tank? I use a 500mL beaker filled with a couple hundred mils of tank water, bubble it for 24 hours.

I mean any container filled with liquid. Except for top-offs and WC, those are allowed.

Archived