Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

:)

Gorg is starting to extend polyps in the areas not near the dead parts. I guess I'm gonna have to clip off the dead parts, will do that soon.

Also decided to finally sit down and finish my LEDs tonight and get them hung. Started drilling the MakersSlide to attach the heatsinks to, and on the second hole, my drill bit actually snapped. Go friggin figure. I'll have to take it to my grandparents' house tomorrow and drill the rest of the holes. The mounting solution won't be the most elegant out there, but it'll work.

Interesting about the goni (sand vs. rock). I think yours is the same type I had and mine had some receding at the base as well. It's a good thing I returned it because there was no way I had room on the rocks for it.

I love the new scape! :)

jedimasterben

AUGHH! I just saw the COOLEST thing ever and wasn't fast enough to get my phone out to make a video!

My red scooter dragonet was floating right in front of a powerhead, all fins flared out, and the neon goby was cleaning him!!!! It was SO COOL!!!

jedimasterben

FYI, make sure that you don't cross any wires while doing electrical work. Just blew up one of my LED drivers lol

IMAGE00005.jpg

Made a huge cloud of smoke - it's the size of the end of my thumb, where the heck does it keep all that smoke?? :lol:

jedimasterben

Well, Mariah is around Atlanta or so right now, and for the next two weeks, I'm a little bit of a bachelor :lol:

I think tomorrow I'm going to go to the LFS and see if they've got any $5-10 'tester' SPS on the racks.

FYI, make sure that you don't cross any wires while doing electrical work. Just blew up one of my LED drivers lol

IMAGE00005.jpg

Made a huge cloud of smoke - it's the size of the end of my thumb, where the heck does it keep all that smoke?? :lol:

I'll have to remember this when i put my LED's together!

jedimasterben

How many of these tester frags ya gonna get Benny?

Just a couple, unless their $5 section is jam-packed :lol:

Your tank is starting to look MUCH better since I last tuned in!

Thanks! :)

jedimasterben

That LFS was closed today, weird. Went to my 'usual' one and got a piece of M. spongodes, a green digitata (that broke into three pieces, which I dropped immediately and made two more of), a very small (and cheap!) duncan, and a sweet purple blade gorgonian. Also got a few Amano shrimpies for my FW tank.

Video is pretty crappy, but a lot of stuff is recovering. The caulerpa is out of hand, I think. Where it is now, while it does look nice, it's too big and only getting bigger and bigger.

After running it for a while now, my sump is a bit louder than I'd like, partly due to the fact that the drain is under the water and isn't able to relieve the pressure properly, so it gurgles every few seconds (sometimes causing a full siphon on the drain, which makes a loud gurgle), and partly due to how I have the algae scrubber bit flowing over. The tank evaporates 2-3 gallons daily now, compared to less than a gallon before, and it's getting kinda aggravating, especially since I left the tank where it was and now have no way to put an ATO anywhere (nothing sitting beside it, and there is zero room in the stand for anything to even hang, really, much less sit on the bottom). Now I'm really kicking myself for not moving the tank. In the other room, I could put stuff beside it to my hearts content!

In addition to that, detritus is building up on, in, and under the rocks in the sump. Even in the short bit of time they've been in there, there is already a very thick layer formed. That can be mostly solved by putting a powerhead in that chamber to keep everything all stirred up, but I'd rather not have more equipment than I need.

What do you guys think, I can move to either a 29g or a 20g long. They both have the same footprint (30" x 12.5") so I can keep a 10g tank in the stand as an ATO reservoir, and reservoirs for dosing chemicals. I keep wanting to use kalkwasser to maintain what little cal/alk usage I have at this point, but if the tank doesn't evaporate at the same rate day to day, it would end up being off-balance. I don't think I can overdose with kalk as far as cal and alk levels go. I have zero uptake as of this time, and if I have a total volume of 90g or so and say my cal starts falling by 10ppm, it would take about a gallon of saturated kalk (2tsp, can use vinegar to get 3tsp if needed) to keep up with the demand. If it goes much more than that, I'd need a calcium reactor or two-part depending on whether or not my evap stays at the same rate it's at now.

This will also give me an excuse to set up the 40B as a planted tank like I wanted a while back :)

jedimasterben

I like the macroalgae!

I like it, too, but it is getting out of hand. Well, actually, it is out of hand lol. I don't want to get rid of it, because it's the only thing in that tank that I still have that has grown so exponentially (besides the damn 'mind blowing' palys, those are approaching nuisance level, they're encroaching on a pinkish zoa that in the last week or two has decided to grow, while suddenly being surround and pushed aside by the MBP.) and I can say 'look, I grew that from a single stalk!'

I would go with the 20 long. I can't picture a situation where I'd need more height in the sump, aside from the skimmer.

jedimasterben

I would go with the 20 long. I can't picture a situation where I'd need more height in the sump, aside from the skimmer.

My thoughts on that are that the 29 will allow me to hang a filter sock if need be, and also will have more room in case of a power outage, I don't want to run my return pump in only a couple of inches of water.

My thoughts on that are that the 29 will allow me to hang a filter sock if need be, and also will have more room in case of a power outage, I don't want to run my return pump in only a couple of inches of water.

just putting this out there. my sump is 20L. I have 4" filter sock and my return(s) are in half the height of the tank. when they go off for feeding it leaves a half inch below the trim line.

however, when the sock is full, the water does bubble 'outwards' and that would be another instance where I'd rather a 29. I didn't have the height in my stand for that. It would be nice though.

do you have pics or vid of your underneath?

edit: well I know you have pics, they're all blocked at work. youtube isn't.

jedimasterben

just putting this out there. my sump is 20L. I have 4" filter sock and my return(s) are in half the height of the tank. when they go off for feeding it leaves a half inch below the trim line.

In your videos, it looks like your returns are not far under the water line, and the top of them is just at the trim of the tank, which is where it starts to pull air and stops siphon. For my tank, I have about 1.5-2" that the water level drops, and has twice the surface area of your tank (so twice the volume possible).

however, when the sock is full, the water does bubble 'outwards' and that would be another instance where I'd rather a 29. I didn't have the height in my stand for that. It would be nice though.

That's actually how my old filter sock overflowed and dumped a lot of water out.

do you have pics or vid of your underneath?

At least take me out to dinner first... :naughtydance:

it looks like it'd be tight to get things in there with the 29 but it is only 2" higher. ah hell, I vote for 29.

IMAGE00005.jpg

I've done this with capacitors, now that a serious surprise if you do that

Archived