Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Do squamosa clams have to go on the sand or can they go on the rockwork too?

Squamosa clams are almost never found on rocks in the wild, only in soft substrates. They're the second easiest clams to care for (to derasa) and don't need too much light, I'd say 100+ PAR, with more always being better ;)

BUT DON'T YOU EVEN THINK OF BUYING THAT ONE!! :lol: j/k

Holy shit! What the #### is this lighting, your tank or a ####ing deathstar?

DAMN!

It can't be both?

that better not be my light Benny, I'm not planning on a tanning bed.

If you put this over your display tank, it's so strong it would go through your stand and light your fuge :)

Holy shit! What the #### is this lighting, your tank or a ####ing deathstar?

DAMN!

Yea, screw Alderon! That inconsequential plot point, full of hippies I tells ya!

Do squamosa clams have to go on the sand or can they go on the rockwork too?

To be politically correct, Squamosas belong in the sand, Like Benny said. However they dont have to at all. These clams already come mounted and attatched to a frag plate.

that better not be my light Benny, I'm not planning on a tanning bed.

If that thing is put too close to the water it will cut fish in half!!!

Hey Ben . . . the tank is coming around very nicely! Nice pics!

Thought about putting those scattered frags in some sort of rack?

Just to help a little with the clutter? 2 cents. W-

jedimasterben

They were sitting on a piece of egg crate, but I took it out because it looked like shit and covered the sandbed, so stuff collected algae grew uncontrollably in places.

I have a small magnetic rack, but it's not large enough to hold even half of the frags I have. I actually just ordered a larger one from Black rock reef. I also ordered some neodymium magnets to hold the algae scrubber in place.

Squamosa clams are almost never found on rocks in the wild, only in soft substrates. They're the second easiest clams to care for (to derasa) and don't need too much light, I'd say 100+ PAR, with more always being better ;)

BUT DON'T YOU EVEN THINK OF BUYING THAT ONE!! :lol: j/k

Thanks, Ben! I don't have the money for that one right now anyways LOL.

To be politically correct, Squamosas belong in the sand, Like Benny said. However they dont have to at all. These clams already come mounted and attatched to a frag plate.

Ok, thanks! I'll have to decide if I want to be politcally correct or not. I really want a squamosa clam but the place I want to put it is more suitable for a maxima.
jedimasterben

You can't over-light a clam (not easily, anyway, when they're a few inches long). It would take a lot more than the R420R you have to give too much light, especially with the mantle being blue.

jedimasterben

Ugh, I wanna buy more macros from Reefcleaners (acetabularia, spiny algae, flamingo feather, flame algae), but the powder brown will probably make a quick snack out of most of them. :/

You can't over-light a clam (not easily, anyway, when they're a few inches long). It would take a lot more than the R420R you have to give too much light, especially with the mantle being blue.

You can see my Blue Squammy up high on the rocks to the right :)

lclc.jpg

You guys have convinced me. I'm going to do the blue squamosa and put it on the rocks. It will be mid-level. By your photo I see you have quite a bit of experience with goniopora. I just picked up a green one and it was purchased with a little skeleton showing on one end at the bottom. If I can keep it healthy and in perfect-for-it conditions will the flesh regrow over the skeleton?

jedimasterben

They do, but that was the nicest one I have seen on there since they started getting them, and I've seen every one they've posted :(

I'll be watching what they post more closely now. Would one of their brown and white ones be ok mid-level on the rocks?

You guys have convinced me. I'm going to do the blue squamosa and put it on the rocks. It will be mid-level. By your photo I see you have quite a bit of experience with goniopora. I just picked up a green one and it was purchased with a little skeleton showing on one end at the bottom. If I can keep it healthy and in perfect-for-it conditions will the flesh regrow over the skeleton?

Yup, you can get the flesh to regrow if you feed it alot, are lucky, and your water is just right. They can only eat zooplankton for the most part. I target feed mine a tiny bit almost every day with arctic copepods from BSD.I also use Justin Credibles Goniopower, made by Two Little Fishies.

I'll be watching what they post more closely now. Would one of their brown and white ones be ok mid-level on the rocks?

Yup, no problem.

Yup, you can get the flesh to regrow if you feed it alot, are lucky, and your water is just right. They can only eat zooplankton for the most part. I target feed mine a tiny bit almost every day with arctic copepods from BSD.I also use Justin Credibles Goniopower, made by Two Little Fishies.

Yup, no problem.

Great, thank you! This will be a perfect indicator (flesh re-growth) of whether or not I'm giving it what it needs. I was planning to order some of that goniopower...Ben also recommended that.

Question:

Is it safe for me to rip off the black plastic top that comes on a standard 40 breeder ? Is that what everyone does ? I just dont want the walls to buckle out a year from now.

THanks.

jedimasterben

I'm a risk-taker when it comes to stuff like that, but even I'm too chicken to do a 40B.

Archived