jedimasterben

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

You do realize PEA is the supplier for drfoster&smith aka live aquaria.....

I wouldn't doubt it. There are only so many places to get clams :lol:

At any rate, the clam I want on DD (and the last one I had gotten) is $60 plus shipping. PEA had the same aquacultured 2" clams for around $80 last time I saw they had them (the nicer ones were that or more).

I'm still waiting on them to get a green clam. When they do, I will purchase it immediately.

• Like 1

metrokat

Hi Benny!

jedimasterben

hey kitty kitty :)

jedimasterben

What have we here?

IMG_0164.jpg

metrokat

It looks like your fish cave room

With a reef ready cube.

Ima guess 40 gallons.

Wires suck.

And you are not behaving yourself are you.

jedimasterben

It's the DBP 30g. I realized AFTER filling it with 15g of water that it may not actually work. The plumbing from the bulkheads has the tubing going BELOW the rim of the 40B sump it would need to fill into, so the tubing goes down from the tank, then up and over the rim of the 40B, like this:

-----------------------|

-----------------------|

----------------/-\---/

---------------------

Does that make sense? Overall, the water is still going down by around 15", but has that wave to deal with, and I think that would cause issues. :( halp.

Chadf

It's the DBP 30g. I realized AFTER filling it with 15g of water that it may not actually work. The plumbing from the bulkheads has the tubing going BELOW the rim of the 40B sump it would need to fill into, so the tubing goes down from the tank, then up and over the rim of the 40B, like this:

-----------------------|

-----------------------|

----------------/-\---/

---------------------

Does that make sense? Overall, the water is still going down by around 15", but has that wave to deal with, and I think that would cause issues. :( halp.

As long as the top of the wave is lower than the bottom of your tank there is no issue. Why can't you fix the plumbing?

Actually, I think if the top of the wave is lower than the display water line there is still no issue.

jedimasterben

As long as the top of the wave is lower than the bottom of your tank there is no issue. Why can't you fix the plumbing?

Actually, I think if the top of the wave is lower than the display water line there is still no issue.

Probably easier to take pics than to describe what's going on.

20130612-IMG_0165.jpg

20130612-IMG_0171.jpg

20130612-IMG_0172.jpg

I should also mention that it won't have THAT much flow through it - 300GPH maybe.

MeepNand

Isn't that the tank you've been testing led setups over?

You are a terrible secret keeper Jedi. :P

Chadf

I don't see an issue with it, no idea if it will make any noise though.

jedimasterben

Isn't that the tank you've been testing led setups over?

You are a terrible secret keeper Jedi. :P

How is it a secret? :lol:

I don't see an issue with it, no idea if it will make any noise though.

Sweet. Right now, I'm not worried about noise. I actually like the sound of running water, and I don't imagine that it would really be loud.

metrokat

Can you drill that support brace without compromising the frame?

jedimasterben

It's not even a support brace, there are two boards attached to it that are holding up the tank.

Oh wait, I thought you meant where I was already drilling lol. No, I can't drill into that.

metrokat

I mean this white piece going left to right

20130612-IMG_0172.jpg

jedimasterben

That is what I meant, the tank rests directly on that board.

jedimasterben

So update on a few things.

First off - the 80g tank isn't moving, and I won't be plumbing the 30g tank into it... yet. I know, I know, I've already got stands built, it's off to a good start, blah blah - well, Mariah and I aren't planning on staying in this house for very long, less than a year. I do not want to move the tank just to have to move it again very soon, double stress on things.

Some of you remember the main reason I wanted to move the tank in the first place was because the floor it is on is slowly sinking down. The tank weighs a LOT, and right behind that wall is the refrigerator, also weighing a lot, and the two combined are pushing the floor in. I was going to use a pair of mobile home jacks, but my dad informed me a better choice would be to put in a couple of 'trailer pads' (basically large hunks of concrete), jack up the beam the tank is on by a bit, then place some cut to fit 4x4 under it to hold it up. Will run about $15 for everything, versus $80+ for the jacks.

The lights will still be the evil cluster I have, and I finally have all that I need to get it together, which will hopefully happen this weekend (in addition to jacking the beam up). Anyone wanting an LED light, let me know, I'll have quite a bit to get rid of once I get this new one up and can throw something together for you :)

As for the fate of the 30g, idk yet. Stay tuned on that one.

Acielot

Good idea not setting the tank up yet, but I still cannot wait to see your evil light in action.

Anyone wanting an LED light, let me know, I'll have quite a bit to get rid of once I get this new one up and can throw something together for you :)

Only if it comes with an instruction manual :P

jedimasterben

20130612-IMG_0165.jpg

Where have I seen this before?

Never mind, it dawned on me.

20130409_235753_zpsbe4e85d6.jpg

:P

Mine was better :P

(and yet still fictional lol)

Good idea not setting the tank up yet, but I still cannot wait to see your evil light in action.

It's gonna be pretty freakin' sweet, I can't wait either!

Only if it comes with an instruction manual :P

It'll be pretty plug n play lol

Psychosis

Better, please. Painted, maybe.

So whats this about you building lights and selling them to shmucks? I'd love one.

jedimasterben

Sure. Whatcha want it to look like, this:

endcap2_lowres__77565.1337359910.1280.12

or this:

ASIS_412-2.jpg

ASIS_412-3.jpg

:)

• Like 1

Chadf

I might have to hit you up for that 2nd one if I ever decide to set up a smaller tank.

• Like 1

Acielot

I think "or this" is pretty sleek but "this" isn't that bad either. Are they evil enough for a 20 tall?

• Like 1

jedimasterben

Those are just the heatsinks, the easiest part of the equation :P

• Like 1

jball1125

I can be a schmuck, I want one!