jedimasterben

Beware the Shallows

metrokat

I need one of those lights Benny. :furious:

jedimasterben

So it turns out this tank is drillable on the front and sides. I misread the tempered glass spec sheet on it. Should? This would give me more sandbed room...

bencollinz

So it turns out this tank is drillable on the front and sides. I misread the tempered glass spec sheet on it. Should? This would give me more sandbed room...

YES!

Deckoz2302

.....your sump...is gonna overflow....

Overflow grate on the 80 is 2 inches...running at 1.5inch heught or 0.5 from the top is about 10.7gallons....even at 1 inch up or 1 inch from the top is 7. Plus the 2.7 gal from the 2ft cube...your sump designs water height is to high

sageblade24

Interesting sump.

NanoTopia

Ben, what about a baffle between skimmer and return sections of the sump, incase you have micro bubbles. Looking forward to the new build.

Christine

jedimasterben

Overflow grate on the 80 is 2 inches...running at 1.5inch heught or 0.5 from the top is about 10.7gallons....even at 1 inch up or 1 inch from the top is 7. Plus the 2.7 gal from the 2ft cube...your sump designs water height is to high

Never overflowed before, and water volume between the sump and tank are calculated to be identical to where I had them before. Both DT will be filled and allowed to overflow to fill the sump, and once it is full, turn it on, and that will be the mark to fill to.

Ben, what about a baffle between skimmer and return sections of the sump, incase you have micro bubbles. Looking forward to the new build.

Christine

On my previous sump layout I didn't have any microbubbles after the skimmer had broken in, and the algae scrubber that will be on that angled glass should be able to catch any extras.

Though, I am thinking of scratching the angled glass and just making a waterfall scrubber. I'd need to run another pump and whatnot, but the efficiency of the scrubber at the same size will be significantly greater. As is, with 12x deep red and 3x royal blue LEDs, the scrubber can process two 'cubes' of food per day. A waterfall scrubber of the same size, lit on both sides, can process 7.5 cubes per day. I can cut back on the lighting for it and still have a wicked scrubber that can handle any amount of food I throw at it (like the Pappone mix I am planning on using on a constant drip).

• Like 1

jedimasterben

So I kept thinking about this and I ran the calculations. My tank has never had even a remotely high water level in the main tank, even when I essentially doubled the output of the return pump the water level didn't go up. I lose approximately 4.5g from the main tank and will lose less from the little tank. The return section I have now is 8.7g in total volume, up to the 14" mark. My 40B actually holds 40g on the inside (if I'm remembering right) if filled right up to the inside rim.

I can change around the sump layout from what I have it at now and make the left L-shaped chamber be the return. I do want a waterfall algae scrubber, to be prepared for any amount of feeding, so I can put the scrubber in what is now the return chamber (using the overflows from the DTs to power it), it flows to the right where it hits the skimmer, then have the fuge section (that will probably be unlit, since the algae scrubber will probably kill any macros I put in it), then have it flow to the leftmost chamber that will have the return pump. That chamber holds around 10.7 gallons or so at 14" depth, so it's about 3g more.

I'm trying to figure out a way to make the algae scrubber super easy to access and to clean. I would love to keep the horizontal one, but it just can't handle the amount of food I want to throw at the system. I may just go ahead and start off with what I have now and see where it gets me in combination with the skimmer. Who knows, it may be enough.

Deckoz2302

My mag 9.5 unrestricted holds my tank at 0.5inches from the top whether the grate is up or down....overflow processes aprox 835gph off a 950gph pump with 2.5ft head.

If you're running the mag 9.5 I don't see how it could be lower lol

jedimasterben

My mag 9.5 unrestricted holds my tank at 0.5inches from the top whether the grate is up or down....overflow processes aprox 835gph off a 950gph pump with 2.5ft head.

If you're running the mag 9.5 I don't see how it could be lower lol

I don't have a Mag 9.5. Maxijet NJ4500.

fretfreak13

Yay another 80 edge! =)

jedimasterben

Yay another 80 edge! =)

Same on as before, dahhling. :)

hopefully with less suckage, though. lol

• Like 3

Deckoz2302
I don't have a Mag 9.5. Maxijet NJ4500.

Pfft maxijet lol thay are terrible :/

jedimasterben

Pfft maxijet lol thay are terrible :/

Nope.

maxi_jet_1200.jpg /= MaxiJetSubmersibleUtilityPumps.jpg

• Like 3

Deckoz2302

I know your talking about the utility pumps...thier head curve is. Meh great for reactors.....

jedimasterben

For as little power as it uses, it's not bad. 600-650GPH at my tank's height is about all I need. My system was fine running even less before I got this.

I do think I might need something more, though, to push both systems. Might get a single small pump. I really would like an SRO Water blaster (they're very efficient), but they're expensive as hell.

JDH

Updates Please :D

Deckoz2302

Less tlk moar pix lol

• Like 4

jedimasterben

Really nothing new to report at this point. I have been busy the past few days and over the weekend, so I wasn't able to get anything done on this :/

• Like 1

jedimasterben

Stands are both 100% painted. I don't think at this point I'm going to worry about skinning them. I just need to get the shit moved, plumbed, filled, and done. Also put all of my corals either on frag plugs or on rocks to get them off of the sand, they keep getting buried by snails. One of my three duncans has lost three or four heads from being under the sand :/

Oh, and I noticed my big purple maxima was absolutely hardcore gaping last night. Le sigh, right about that time, eh zeph?

Deckoz2302

Stands are both 100% painted. I don't think at this point I'm going to worry about skinning them. I just need to get the shit moved, plumbed, filled, and done. Also put all of my corals either on frag plugs or on rocks to get them off of the sand, they keep getting buried by snails. One of my three duncans has lost three or four heads from being under the sand :/

Oh, and I noticed my big purple maxima was absolutely hardcore gaping last night. Le sigh, right about that time, eh zeph?

If it makes you feel any better my derasa went from healthy to an empty shell in 7 hours and my maxima is still night gapping...one more day til im home. I hope the max can hold on, its probably about 9 years old as the previous owner had it for 5...its a strong clam and im sure its seen some rough times over the years....

IMG952013052995111609_zps7437d2e5.jpg

IMG952013052995112010_zps2c8c1574.jpg

jedimasterben

The weird part is that mine has new shell growth, so I don't understand why it would be putting energy towards growth instead of, ya know, staying alive lol.

I've lost three clams in my rather short reefkeeping history - a large derasa about a year and a half ago (back in my 55), a crocea with PM, and then most recently my little DD purple maxima. :/

Deckoz2302

Yea :/ im confused until I get home. I've only lost 2. The pink one to pm, and the derasa. Lets hope the max makes it. I'm positive that its not PM or pyramids, and my dt doesn't have bristle worms. So something else has caused a stressor. So its either food, alk, or light. Being as the food and light haven't changed. Im guessing alk or ca. And being as my wife (no offense baby) sucks at titrating.....and she had to make some alk liquid...well ill just have to see

jedimasterben

DD has another maxima that looks identical to the one I lost a few days ago. Good thing, because I really loved the color on it and wanted another one, thank god they're culturing them and they get a bunch that all look the same. Hopefully they'll keep getting them for the next few weeks/months/however long it takes to get all this shit done.

Deckoz2302
DD has another maxima that looks identical to the one I lost a few days ago. Good thing, because I really loved the color on it and wanted another one, thank god they're culturing them and they get a bunch that all look the same. Hopefully they'll keep getting them for the next few weeks/months/however long it takes to get all this shit done.

You do realize PEA is the supplier for drfoster&smith aka live aquaria.....