jedimasterben

Beware the Shallows

metrokat

Anyone wanting an LED light, let me know, I'll have quite a bit to get rid of once I get this new one up and can throw something together for you :)

:furious:

Sure. Whatcha want it to look like, this:

endcap2_lowres__77565.1337359910.1280.12

:)

:furious:

jedimasterben

Sump is mostly filled... mixing salt in it now (about 35g of water in it).

Took 21 cups of salt.

Also bought a 32g Brute today, haven't filled it (still filling the sump).

I did also go ahead and put salt in the 30g that has about 20g of water in it. That tank needs to be drained and moved, anyway, so I will just use that water in the 80g.

jedimasterben

I HAZ WATAH

tumblr_inline_mm4gayAI251qz4rgp.jpg

• Like 6

jedimasterben

Alright, sump and tank are both filled, live and base rock placed.... and the system is loud as shit. The durso drain goes full siphon every few seconds. Any ideas why?

jedimasterben

So not enough air is getting in, or backpressure from the pipe now being underwater. Ugh, I do have too much water in the sump :(

just a noob

this%20thread%20is%20useless%20without%2

• Like 3

jedimasterben

trust me.. you don't want pics of what this looks like right now lol

even my wife says it all looks like shit :lol:

• Like 1

jedimasterben

The fix is ordered and will arrive on Tuesday. EPDM weather stripping.

What I'll have to do is cut the baffles that are too high out of the sump (two of them) and take them to the glass shop and get them cut to what I need them to be (maybe 10" instead of 15"), then instead of siliconing them in place, just using the EPDM for pressure fitting like Deckoz did. Should work without even needing to drain the sump (other than to the new water level).

• Like 3

Psychosis

We're all dudes here. Pics of shit tank? Random pictures of literal shit tanks need not apply. I don't care how bad the T-52 was.

• Like 3

jedimasterben

Random pictures of literal shit tanks

septic-tank.jpg

RisersOnTank.jpg

New-plastic-septic-tank.jpg

septic_tank.jpg

septic-tank.jpg

Oh, you mean DON'T give pics of literal shit tanks. I'm with ya now.

:P

Crappy pics of the crappy shallows are crappy.

IMG_20130625_183547.jpg

dat caulerpa

IMG_20130625_183559.jpg

What's left.

IMG_20130625_183604.jpg

Mariah, bein a creeper

IMG_20130625_183617.jpg

"Don't look at me, I'm hideous!"

IMG_20130625_183630.jpg

Ginormous asterina

IMG_20130625_183652.jpg

Recovering. Three out of five, the other two are inside the rock or on the outside.

IMG_20130625_183719.jpg

Well, still has polyps out and has not receded in... a month maybe? I guess that's a good thing.

IMG_20130625_183736.jpg

IMG_20130625_183746.jpg

Gorg just fell on everything, but this is still the most I've seen the goniopora extended in a while.

IMG_20130625_183800.jpg

Star grass decided to photobomb after being stirred up by the powerheads.

IMG_20130625_183816.jpg

I cleaned the powerheads and put them back into 24v mode (which is full power, should be around 2500GPH each, was running them at 12v when it was 1/3 filled to keep the sand from disappearing). The chromis are all WTF mang! I have those three, the yellow watchman, and the leopard wrasse. That's all that has survived all of this.

You'll notice that the rocks aren't exactly what had been pictured before. Well, the arm broke off, sorta. All the emaco fell off and it was rocking, so I cut it off and I'll epoxy a rock to the top to cover it up. I think I'll probably put the arm piece of rock in there, but idk where.

I will probably scape it in the next couple of days, getting that egg crate out of there and scrub most of the frags to get the algae goop off of them.

• Like 1

metrokat

PICS! omgomgomg

What is that green waving bush macro? I'm jelly of your star grass.

Some of those corals look bleached, too much PAR?

jedimasterben

What the ####. The A/C system I had installed on my house in the middle of 2011 froze up today. :furious:

jedimasterben

And the motor on the inside unit blew. Yay.

just a noob
What the ####. The A/C system I had installed on my house in the middle of 2011 froze up today. :furious:

That could be a pun...

• Like 4

jedimasterben

Meh. No intentional puns. This has been a ridiculously shitty week. Sunday, my childhood best friends' dad had a massive heart attack and died, service is tomorrow. Then the A/C thing. Then, I went to pick up some corals shipped to my grandma's house, and she tells me that my other best friends' grandma had a heart attack and died today. Next, if I can't keep the temperature on my tank down, I'm more than likely going to lose what's left of my coral.

Le sigh.

Psychosis

Awh man, I was thinking up a haiku to follow the pun reference. Sorry about your week so far Ben.

• Like 1

jedimasterben

Tank was 77.4 degrees before i left a few minutes ago. I have a small window A/C in one room on full blast with a fan pulling from the general direction blowing to the rest of the house. Doesn't really do any good, though.

Outside temp is 85 right now, will go up another 6 or before midday is done. I had two guppies dead this morning, I'm not sure what temperature that tank got, but apparently was too high. Oy. At least there is not much more to be able to lose, I guess.

jedimasterben

Today was productive.

• Like 2

metrokat

Hi Benny!!!! :wub:

Monitor temperature, it's part of the stability package.

jedimasterben

Wasn't bad today, hit a peak of 79.5°F, and the A/C was fixed around 3PM, so didn't have to worry from then on. Sitting at 78.3°F right now.

• Like 1

jedimasterben

Kinda scaped. Took the egg crate out and dipped all corals in peroxide (well, most corals anyway, a large portion). I was trying to find a place for my massive forest of cactus caulerpa (it's around 12"x12" if I spread it out right, and it's all one piece!), and I pulled it up and put it in like four places, but after all that, I decided it will look best where it was in the first place, as there, it sways in the current, everywhere else it is just bent straight over.

As for the rocks, idk. I have part of my big 'floating' thing in there, and it takes up a nice bit of real estate for only a little space for corals. Looks nice though. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the other rocks, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

I installed the skimmer today. it's been dry for weeks now waiting to go back in, and within 15 seconds of giving the pump power, it had a foamhead and was efficiently skimming. 3 hours later, it had 1/4 cup of black skimmate.

I also was going to cut the baffles out of the sump to get them cut, but after spending about 20 minutes trying to get the piece of glass that the water flows over to get to the return pump chamber, the pressure finally pushed the glass out of the way, and now the return chamber is around 25 gallons or so. The drain still surges every once in a while, but that's more with the drain pipe being in the water and not above it. It's quieter now, though, so I think I'm fine with it.

I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow if the skimmer has pulled all the particulates from stirring the sand up transplanting the caulerpa so many times. I will never not rinse sand ever again.

• Like 1

FlCandy

Pics?

• Like 1

jedimasterben

I didn't get the chance to today. Spent most of the day with my friend that lost his grandma earlier in the week, he's holding up pretty well. When i was home, I took a toothbrush to ever. single. frag. and knocked off anything growing on them after their wicked peroxide dip yesterday. The dip water was SO DIRTY after 20 minutes of the dip (which was not full strength, it was maybe 3:1 water to peroxide instead of 1:1), I couldn't even see through it.. After knocking off all the crap, the water was super cloudy, so it wasn't a good time to take pics :P

Got a couple of little goodies to test 'new' stuff out and see how it does before officially starting restocking. I noticed this morning that even before the lights came on that some of the palys that I've never seen open in the 8 months they've been in my tank had a uncurled a little bit! Can't wait until this tank finally recovers!

The water is nice and clear (and the skimmer has another half a cup of filthy black skimmate) so I won't touch anything other than the glass (if it needs it) and will get some pics before visiting some family that's down from the hills of Kentucky. :happydance:

• Like 1

jedimasterben

Detritus seems to continue to stick to things - the cactus caulerpa and gorgonian are both covered, despite having two powerheads aimed directly at them. The frags seem to stay covered, as well, despite brushing them off with a toothbrush and using the powerheads to blast it off of them, it seems to return within a few hours.

• Like 1

jedimasterben

Pics.

Left side.

IMG_20130630_183721.jpg

Goniopora is receding along the bottom, unfortunately. Being realistic, I don't think it will survive, but being optimistic, I hope so :(
IMG_20130630_183728.jpg

IMG_20130630_183744.jpg

Middle.

IMG_20130630_183753.jpg

This is what is all over the gorgonian, no matter how often I brush or blast it off. Also note the baby lettuce nudi :wub:

IMG_20130630_183842.jpg

Sad frags are sad :/

IMG_20130630_183855.jpg

Photobomber.

IMG_20130630_183904.jpg

Mini maxis are always doing well. Can't seem to actually kill them.

IMG_20130630_183921.jpg

Leather is starting to open up.

IMG_20130630_183940.jpg

This was a triumph.

IMG_20130630_183955.jpg

More and more coralline patches popping up.

IMG_20130630_184018.jpg

The other new addition.

IMG_20130630_184025.jpg

My phone camera is terrible lol

IMG_20130630_184039.jpg

Got the scrubber going.

IMG_20130630_184127.jpg

Can't believe this thing is already pulling this much skimmate consistently.

IMG_20130630_184150.jpg

And a terrible video. I can't get my (MUCH) better camera and video app to install on my phone, gives me an error every time, so the quality is terrible and it would not focus, ever.

• Like 2