Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay, more pics.

About the gorgonian: it is trying to shed but the layer is not getting blown off due to a slime coat from your slimey problems. I know you said you tried brushing it, i would have done the same using a tooth brush under water. you could try breaking off one stem and peroxide dipping it. no clue if it would survive or how long it would stay pissed off for.

Love the scooter blenny, nice pop of color. And the baby nudi branch. :wub:

Doesn't look like the light reaches the ends, the blasto and goni are shaded and it looks dark over all.

jedimasterben

I'm not sure if that is the issue with the gorg, but last night after I took these pics, I brought it out and took a toothbrush to the entire thing out of the water. We'll see if it liked that, as it should have polyp extension today if so.

The gorg doesn't mind peroxide, when dosing it, it never usually even retracted its polyps fully.

I had the choice of two male red scooters, the other one was twice the size and mostly pink instead of red, but I wanted to start small and watch it grow. It's fat as a pig, so at least it has a good start!

The goniopora is getting around 180 PAR where it is, and the blasto is somewhere around 100 or so, it's just the camera (my phone), in addition to me not turning the lights up to full output, they were around 30% when I took the pictures and video.

As of this morning, the algae scrubber screen has a bit algal growth already, just brown diatoms. The algae will hopefully start growing in well within a week or so.

I'm not sure if that is the issue with the gorg, but last night after I took these pics, I brought it out and took a toothbrush to the entire thing out of the water. We'll see if it liked that, as it should have polyp extension today if so.

If you took it out, expect it to be pissed at least a few days. It might need to shed again before showing polyps. They hate air.

jedimasterben

My lighting makes halides cry. According to my preliminary PAR readings, at 24" I should have more PAR than a 1000w halide.

(especially considering that a 1000w halide will pull around 1200w and about 400w of that is wasted energy, not to mention all of energy wasted in UV and IR)

Looks good, if you want a cheap azz awesome cleaner large hardware stores may carry this cool blue microfiber cloth. My mom got 20 for $2 and they work better than all of my other cleaning mags and sponges! I use to clean my driftwood in my FW tank too so it could work on the gorg

Also they have no chemicals

IMO if you get bored or whatevs just clean and organize the tank, I've been doing that to distract me from the heat and my stomach problems.

jedimasterben

So the gorgonian has the exact same stuff on it today, so it is growing back daily. Appears to still be dinoflagellates, then. Skimmer coming back off today, Dr Tims Eco-Balance going in.

Polarcollision

So the gorgonian has the exact same stuff on it today, so it is growing back daily. Appears to still be dinoflagellates, then. Skimmer coming back off today, Dr Tims Eco-Balance going in.

I'm fighting dino's too. They were all over the sand bed and none of the suggestions I read on NR would get rid of them. I finally sucked out the top layer of sand and burried what was left with an inch or more of new sand hoping nutrients and light were cut off. They stayed away for 3 days and then showed up as a thin film again 2 days ago. The tank went up to 80 degrees in the heat wave (dosing vit c and bacteria) and they disappeared... not sure if forever. Crossing fingers. If it helps in any way, there you have it.

Stupid dinos. /pout

P.S. they preferred growing on the gorg as well. Sucking their blades into the water change water vaccumed enough off that the gorg shook them with the next shedding.

jedimasterben

These babies do good even in low light. I L O V E them.

I know, and my new light gives off around 700 PAR at 28"... at around 70%, with only one of two fixtures in place. :)

I just don't know if I want to get another clam already. I don't want to buy the creme de la creme of clams just have it go poof in a few weeks.

Dude, this is the LED world domination thread. That's blasphemy in this hood. :lol:

:lol:

Have you considered chemiclean to dissolve your organics?

That won't affect dinoflagellates, and I'd rather not use something like that and risk what little I have left.

jedimasterben

Very soon. Gotta wait for all the epoxy to set that is holding the lenses on, then find a way to mount the Makers heatsink to the aluminum rail (basically the MakerSlide), then attach that to the chain I have holding up my current fixture. I also want to use some kind of a disconnect like a DB-9 cable, but that will take too much time, I'm getting antsy :)

I looked at the pic again. Is there any specific reason that they are laid out identically versus symmetrically.?

jedimasterben

Some of the LEDs aren't even in their amounts. I tried symmetrical as best I could, but as I was putting them on the heatsink, I had to shift some around due to the reflectors or lenses bumping into each other, etc.

Archived