Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drift Monkey's ADA 60-P (Rebooted!)

Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey

i just make mounts. thats a hell of a deal

Well, the clamp pieces from tunze don't look to cost too much.

Yeah, hell of a deal indeed. clamps and tubing shouldn't cost you that much.main component is the optical eye and pump.

The hose from tunze isn't too much either. Plus they're right here in Austin. :D The controller/optical eye are the the pricey bit!

I was sorta worried about this since Tunze told me it might not be worth it since this particular model may be at the end of its life cycle or what not. I think I'm going to test it tonight after work and make sure it's working before I order the spart parts.

Edit: parts come out to about $31 picked up, or $37 shipped...sound good?

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$37 for those pieces? :wacko: So that totals out the whole thing as $142? If you could somehow come up with a homemade clamp and tubing, it'll save you a lil bit. lol

Drift Monkey

$37 for those pieces? :wacko: So that totals out the whole thing as $142? If you could somehow come up with a homemade clamp and tubing, it'll save you a lil bit. lol

That's what I mean man...I kinda feel like it's not worth it..but it's still $64 under a brand new unit. I'm not sure what kinda clamps I'd use to hold the sensors/tubing otherwise. Any ideas?

The previous owner looks like he used velcro to secure the brackets...not sure if I trust that lol. I just won't want to end up with something that's ghetto rigged and could fail eventually.

nanoreefer11

That's what I mean man...I kinda feel like it's not worth it..but it's still $64 under a brand new unit. I'm not sure what kinda clamps I'd use to hold the sensors/tubing otherwise. Any ideas?

The previous owner looks like he used velcro to secure the brackets...not sure if I trust that lol. I just won't want to end up with something that's ghetto rigged and could fail eventually.

Yeah, that'd be the worst thing that could happen, especially since these things always happen when we're not there to check on them.

Drift Monkey

Yeah, that'd be the worst thing that could happen, especially since these things always happen when we're not there to check on them.

Exactly man...coming home to my sensors floating around in my sump would be a nightmare! :scarry:

I just ordered Vertex Line-Mag for my dosing tubes (x3). They also have one for two tubes and a probe, or three probes. :)

I have the Duplex Mag and it is very high quality. Their are cheaper options on ebay as well.

Drift Monkey

I just ordered Vertex Line-Mag for my dosing tubes (x3). They also have one for two tubes and a probe, or three probes. :)

I have the Duplex Mag and it is very high quality. Their are cheaper options on ebay as well.

Hmmm... that could work...would probably work out costing about the same though...

Drift Monkey

Looks like either: http://www.amazon.com/Eshopps-Magnetic-Probe-Holder/dp/B0046HMI94 ($30 shipped) or http://www.aquacave.com/Vertex-Magnetic-Probe-Holder-XL-P3778.aspx ($35 shipped) might work. One of the smaller holes could hold the pump tubing as well.

I'm not sure how I'd stagger my optical eye and the backup float switch though?

Edit: Just played with it...looks like I mount the float switch "upside down" relative to the optical eye to have it as the high level switch. Unit works fine otherwise.

Drift Monkey

I examined the brackets and repositioning sliders and such and it seems I could still use them in other ways. Previous owner might have been onto something with the velcro in all honesty...fresh new strips could work.

Another way: http://www.tunze.com/index.php?id=details&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1%5Bprodid%5D=3000.270 (just under $10 shipped) which are basically plates that give a surface to silicone it to the side of the glass. I could, alternatively just silicone the crap out of it to make it stay...but the plates fill in the beveled gap (thinner layer of silicone, less mess). Scrap plastic/glass of some sort instead could also work.

Magnets could work as well...but I'm not sure where to source these or how much they'd be. THis could be the ideal solution. Hardware store?

This still leaves the fresh water pump line which... I guess I could just silicone/super glue it down or something? :lol: Actually, I think I could just zip tie it to another line or something...we'll see I guess.

wait, the picture you posted only shows the float valve. Is that the only thing you need to clamp to the sump? Or do you have the optical eye that's supposed to be attached with magnets?

Drift Monkey

No it shows both. The optical eye is to the right of the float valve in that picture. This is the older setup with slider brackets that used screw in mounts, but digging in the instruction manual (and just contemplation) there are a few other ways to get it as I explained above. The slider brackets have mounts for both sensors.

No it shows both. The optical eye is to the right of the float valve in that picture. This is the older setup with slider brackets that used screw in mounts, but digging in the instruction manual (and just contemplation) there are a few other ways to get it as I explained above. The slider brackets have mounts for both sensors.

ahhh I see. I didn't know the older models were different. lol

Drift Monkey

ahhh I see. I didn't know the older models were different. lol

Yeah the newer ones use their own fancy magnet holders that either hold both sensors or you can use one for each sensor. It wouldn't be worth it to me to grab 'em I don't think.

Oh ok. I think you're better off retuning it and getting the other one I linked. Sounds like too much trouble. But if you can find a way to make it work, more power to you. :) sorry I've never dealt with an ato before so I can't help you.

Drift Monkey

Oh ok. I think you're better off retuning it and getting the other one I linked. Sounds like too much trouble. But if you can find a way to make it work, more power to you. :) sorry I've never dealt with an ato before so I can't help you.

Nah, actually I think I'll keep it. I ordered some reasonably prioced epoxy coated neodymium magnets that should hold the brackets up just fine in the sump. As for the fresh water feed line from the pump? ...I'll figure that out soon as well.

Drift Monkey

So I drew out a preliminary plan for my sump. I don't have Sketchup/CAD skills so MSPaint will just have to do. :lol:

t6e32u.jpg

No dimensions are final, just getting an idea here. Thoughts? Opinions? Flames? Trolls?

if you have any small things like pods and what not that would come from the fuge will be killed by the skimmer or what not

Drift Monkey

if you have any small things like pods and what not that would come from the fuge will be killed by the skimmer or what not

Interesting point...although doing it that way would have a major drawback - total water capacity would be reduced by quite a bit. My plan utilizes the last baffle before the return pump to limit the water level in both of those chambers (to keep a potential skimmer happy). This is one area I'm unsure about though...not sure what height skimmers typically like to be run at...something to lift it up would be easy to rig, so it doesn't have to be super exact.

Generally you would want the drain water hitting the skimmer first to take the bulk of the junk out of the water, then use the fuge to clear it up. Your fuge will get quite dirty and need more maintenance in the current orientation.

Archived