Pod Your Reef

Drift Monkey's ADA 60-P (Rebooted!)

Drift Monkey

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey

Love the RO reservoir, one that size should last you weeks haha.

Yeah I know right? I'm gonna pick another one up this weekend and fill it up...that way, when this one runs out...quick swap and I'm back in business while filling the empty one back up. :ninja:

looking awesome man :D

Thanks man! :D

Drift Monkey

nice scape! think itll be enough rock?? starting a 60-p myself.

Thanks! Yeah I think so. I'm planning on adding more (or maybe just rubble) to the sump to up the rock poundage.

The 60-P is great...you'll love it!

5 gallons of RO/DI should last me quite a while as top off water. The tank is essentially on auto-pilot now and my goal of automation is moving along quite well. I'll probably grab a Apex Jr. at some point as well.

Love the RO reservoir, one that size should last you weeks haha.

5 Gallons only lasts me a week and half to 2 weeks...

Drift Monkey

5 Gallons only lasts me a week and half to 2 weeks...

Hopefully I can get 2 weeks. I'll need it for when I go on vacay in early July. fingerscrossed

Drift Monkey

Just an update on the heater. I actually turned it on the other night and it works great! Tank is at a constant 78 degrees! :)

Drift Monkey

I've been thinking about getting an Apex Jr., although I'm trying to justify the cost to myself right now. My lights (Razor), powerhead (MP10), and ATO (Tunze Osmolator) all have controllers already.

I could use it to regulate heat (heater, maybe fans), run a fuge light, regulate skimmer usage (so I don't overskim) and check additional water parameters with more modules/probes I guess. Which parameters do most people even use?Being able to check it from a mobile device while I'm away is def nice.

Talk me into it! :lol:

Everyone needs a controller. I love Apex as a company, but I don't have any products yet. My RKL was very well priced, and I only need it to control temperature and as a way to turn return pump on/off. In the future I can expand it for pH and net pretty cheaply.

It seems high end products mostly come with their own controllers now (particularly lights, topoffs, dosers, and pumps); maybe you can grab a used controller for a good price to ease into it?

Drift Monkey

Everyone needs a controller. I love Apex as a company, but I don't have any products yet. My RKL was very well priced, and I only need it to control temperature and as a way to turn return pump on/off. In the future I can expand it for pH and net pretty cheaply.

It seems high end products mostly come with their own controllers now (particularly lights, topoffs, dosers, and pumps); maybe you can grab a used controller for a good price to ease into it?

A used Apex Jr. without a display would probably be the cheapest route for me (utilizing my mobile phone for a display)...although I will admit...I do want the external display mounted next to my Vortech for the coolness factor. :P

I don't mind spending the money if it will help further automate my tank. For me, automation is a key component to this build because it will ensure I take proper care of it over a longer period of time. The simpler it is for me, the more likely I will do it and not forget/skip/ignore it. I'm sure most folks are like that. :lol: Having a little extra insurance for components like heaters would be nice too...

Drift Monkey

947373_10151518961971137_1881145323_n.jp

My DrTim's One & Only came in! It's time to get this cycle started! :D

I'm dosing the ammonia right now, aiming for 3 ppm.

Drift Monkey

My setup must've been pretty sterile...it took around 50 drops or so of ammonia to reach ~3 ppm.

954652_10151519140231137_73724520_n.jpg

I hate API kits...but what are ya gonna do... :closedeyes:

600206_10151519140296137_830725656_n.jpg

Another shot, for funzies! B)

CrushtheTurtle

nice man! lemme know how the one and only from Dr Tims works, thinking about using it myself, do you just dump the whole bottle in?

Drift Monkey

nice man! lemme know how the one and only from Dr Tims works, thinking about using it myself, do you just dump the whole bottle in?

I'm about to check ammonia and nitrite right now. Not expecting much activity, but I'm just curious like that.

Yup, the 2oz should be plenty for a 60-P (plus sump). Supposed to be good for up to 30 gallons. I shook the bottle well and dumped all of that cloudy goodness in!

Drift Monkey

Day 2:

Ammonia: 3 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

As expected, no change. The directions even say not to check it today...but I was curious! :lol:

Drift Monkey

Day 3:

Ammonia: 3 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nothing yet... :closedeyes:

I filled my RO/DI container all the way to the brim to try and accurately gauge approximately how long it will last me. It wasn't even close to empty after about 4 days (started about half full since I had to lower my salinity), so we'll see!

Drift Monkey

So, I think I'm gonna build a duplex fuge in the middle chamber of my sump.

I love the idea of an area for cryptic/benthic creatures to populate. Now all I need is some egg crate...

Drift Monkey

So my skimmer came in...but not in one piece...

946687_10151524072356137_971988417_n.jpg

:angry::furious::rant:

I am LIVID right now! Not only did it take these chumps 2 WEEKS to get the skimmer to me (fex ex ground or home delivery huh? this shit came USPS and as slowly as possible) it came BROKEN.

So my skimmer came in...but not in one piece...

:angry::furious::rant:

I am LIVID right now! Not only did it take these chumps 2 WEEKS to get the skimmer to me (fex ex ground or home delivery huh? this shit came USPS and as slowly as possible) it came BROKEN.

Who did you buy it from? Here is a link for the one I purchased http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190720710934 I purchased on May 28 and received June 3 (I'm in Canada). Shipped via USPS, got here in one piece and quickly.

Drift Monkey

I ordered from http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221204524104

I did this because I was able to "make an offer" to them for slightly less than the one you posted, plus I used an ebay coupon to get the price down a tad more. In the end, I wasted time...I'm getting a refund but have to ship it back out of my own pocket. I ordered May 26th and did not recieve the package until June 8th. It's weird because that seller has a high rating...just as high as the one you linked.

I went ahead and placed an order from the seller you posted. He seems to be legit from what I gather. We'll see.

Archived