Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drift Monkey's ADA 60-P (Rebooted!)

Drift Monkey

I know right! maybe my water was to clean... i dunno I think it was the skimmer still

I have tried 7-8.5 and settled on a happy medium

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey

I know right! maybe my water was to clean... i dunno I think it was the skimmer still

I have tried 7-8.5 and settled on a happy medium

Mine has nothing in it to collect really...that may be the issue as well. Supposedly they don't simmer down until they get slimed up/dirty.

give it time maybe-cool skimmer none the less

Yup, that's the plan right now, I guess. Pretty happy with it otherwise.

Drift Monkey

Were you ever able to quite down the return pump noise?

Ah, thanks for reminding me! Yes I did in fact. I put a small scrap piece of egg crate under it and that seemed to make it happy (I don't think it liked being flat against the bottom of the sump). I think the skimmer pump is louder than the return pump now.

That being said, there's hardly any noise coming out of the system with the stand door closed...it's pretty damn quiet, even for my standards.

Drift Monkey

So I was moving the MP10 around yesterday to see if I could go 100% percent without blasting the sand around...and it turns out I mostly can. There were a few spots where the sand became uneven so I stuck my arm in there to level it out. Bad idea. :slap: I ended up knocking my scape over, but that got me thinking...I should probably make it a bit more stable.

Next thing ya know I'm re-scaping the damn thing. :owned:

Hours later (and lots of cussing)...I came up with this...which I actually like better than the original. :wizard:

1039556_10151542785616137_2100579016_o.j

I dub this: The Broken Arch. :P

977938_10151542785301137_211776368_o.jpg

Pretty impressed with the camera on my HTC One...it's certainly better than my old iPhone 4S. The angle is super wide too.

1026100_10151542785436137_935110119_o.jp

The new scape from the left.

1025388_10151542785731137_1235037880_o.j

From the right.

It's much more stable this way and I managed to reclaim a little bit of vertical space on the left side with this arrangement as well. Plus, the overhangs just look cool to me.

What do y'all think?

nanoreefer11

I like the scape. What are you stocking plans? Mostly SPS? I run mine about 60 percent, any higher and my corals get peeved.

Drift Monkey

I like the scape. What are you stocking plans? Mostly SPS? I run mine about 60 percent, any higher and my corals get peeved.

Thanks. Probably mixed man...it'd be nice to get the top areas covered with sps...but I really like softies and lps too. I like the movement they bring.

With the MP10 cranked up business...I just wanted to see if I could do it. Could be useful for clearing out detritus or something in the future.

Looks ####in badass dude! I love it!!!!

Thanks! I was hoping I didn't waste my time with that. After I messed with the old scape...I couldn't get it back how I wanted it...so I came up with several arrangements (all in tank mind you, what a PITA). I liked this one the best by far.

Drift Monkey

I like it

Looks awesome man

diggin the new scape man. just got all the equip for my own 60p build.

Appreciate it fellas! :happy:

What kinda goodies you get?

Drift Monkey

Scape is sick. Love love love this build... so clean. For some reason now I want to hookah :owned:

Thanks! Weird, I wonder where you got that idea from? :owned:

Looks great! Love that scape. :)

Scape is awesome, cant wait to see it stocked.

Thanks! I'm glad y'all like it as much as I do! Time for another cycle update.

Day 13:

Ammonia: ~3 ppm

Nitrite: ~2.0+ ppm

Not sure wtf happened here. My ammonia shot back up to about 3 ppm...but the nitrites are steadily climbing...with this API kit, it's hard to tell exactly how high...but it's pretty bright purple. I do wonder if these readings have anything to do with my rescaping endeavors...

I usually just use the api test kit to verify that there's ammonia or not. A little difference isn't too bad. Just wait till the NH4 and NO2 is gone... :) That being said... what kinda coral are you planning on adding first? :D

Also wondering if the One & Only actually did anything...

Responding to an old post. From what I can gather about Dr Tims products, they contain nitrifying bacteria. When you started this tank there was no ammonia in it and therefore nothing for the nitrifying bacteria to eat. The proper time IMO to add Dr Tims is when your tank started to show ammonia readings. At that point, the live nitrifying bacteria have something to feast on help to complete your cycle faster (or so they say).

Drift Monkey

I usually just use the api test kit to verify that there's ammonia or not. A little difference isn't too bad. Just wait till the NH4 and NO2 is gone... :) That being said... what kinda coral are you planning on adding first? :D

Yeah...but NH4 going back UP after starting to subside is just strange. I'm waiting man...I've been waiting for 2 weeks! :P As for the first corals...I think zoas would be a good test... ;)

Responding to an old post. From what I can gather about Dr Tims products, they contain nitrifying bacteria. When you started this tank there was no ammonia in it and therefore nothing for the nitrifying bacteria to eat. The proper time IMO to add Dr Tims is when your tank started to show ammonia readings. At that point, the live nitrifying bacteria have something to feast on help to complete your cycle faster (or so they say).

I think you missed quite a bit of data. I dosed 3 ppm of pure ammonia before adding the One & Only. It still took about 1 week just for the nitrites to show up...that's why I was questioning if it actually did anything.

:P;)

I think you missed quite a bit of data. I dosed 3 ppm of pure ammonia before adding the One & Only. It still took about 1 week just for the nitrites to show up...that's why I was questioning if it actually did anything.

Yup I missed all that. And that is strange. How far apart did you add the ammonia and then the Tims product? I suppose it doesn't matter now that your cycle did happen but I was curious.

Drift Monkey

Yup I missed all that. And that is strange. How far apart did you add the ammonia and then the Tims product? I suppose it doesn't matter now that your cycle did happen but I was curious.

Same day. Dosed the ammonia drops at a time and measured until I got up to ~3 ppm. I let it sit for a little bit, and added the DrTim's as per the instructions.

The reason I don't think it worked is because the claims are that it works in approx 1 week (or less). That's how long it took me just to see the nitrites show up. I have read of other cases where people started with BRS dry rock and it took them around 3 weeks. I guess I'm not convinced I'd necissarily be further along in the cycle than I'd be with just dosing the ammonia...

New scape is badass, it isn't simply a pile of rocks as there are plenty of overhangs and cave like areas, very nice!

I've been looking into 24" tanks to possibly setup in my bedroom (this is why I asked about the return pump noise) specifically for harlequin shrimp and think the 60p might be it. Why did you go with a lily return instead of drilling?

Drift Monkey

New scape is badass, it isn't simply a pile of rocks as there are plenty of overhangs and cave like areas, very nice!

I've been looking into 24" tanks to possibly setup in my bedroom (this is why I asked about the return pump noise) specifically for harlequin shrimp and think the 60p might be it. Why did you go with a lily return instead of drilling?

Thanks! Yeah, I feel like this scape has a little more depth and looks more organic than the other one...glad you like it!

Ah, right. Like I said, it's pretty quiet now...I would say the MP10 winding up and down is probably the loudest thing at this point (with the stand door closed of course). The pump itself is pretty awesome, runs great. I've had no other problems with it.

Why the lily? Well, mostly because I already had it laying around from a previous project. It saved me from having to drill another hole (not that it would have been that big of a deal) but besides that I just think it looks cool... :P

Archived