Pod Your Reef

t8raff's 20L AIO... RAP orlando!

t8raff

Yeah im going to pick some test kits up next time im off of work.. or might just order the red sea kit from bulk reef supply.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could give a shot with some sps up there. I'd find a local reefer that has some nice sps frags to give it a try. My local guy just gave me a few small pieces to try and so far it's growing out good being up high. Most sps like high flow too. I got a piece of rainbow montipora. The lfs said it would die under my lighting but I'm sitting about a month with it there and it's colored up nicely. Just give the Duncan time and I wouldn't mess with it give it a week or so then try moving it. Usually you can get it to a decent spot after a couple tries. Mine is in a lower flow about middle of the tank and he opened up after the 2nd try

It sure does. Just wants to be a pain in my butt right now.

So... i have my mind set on the next coral purchase but i also want to find something for this one rock. I circled it in the picture. Has to be something that likes high light/flow. My circulation pump isnt directly at the rock but it gets a pretty good current. Whats something that would be right at home right there?

1371140972302_zps08a7de96.jpg

Oh and here is a crappy top down pic. Wasnt able to do this with the old lights lol

20130609_173045_zps235d27f7.jpg

I would do a plating Montipora. I think it would look pretty sweet there when it grows out. If your lights can support it.

I would do a plating Montipora. I think it would look pretty sweet there when it grows out. If your lights can support it.

Hmmm maybe. Never tried any sps. I think my lights could support it. One of them is directly over that rock.

Hmmm maybe. Never tried any sps. I think my lights could support it. One of them is directly over that rock.

Thats one of the easiest sps to keep, so shouldn't be to much of a hassel. You can usually find a frag for like $10. Good way to find out if you can keep some montiporas

I agree with nano trying looking around or asking your lfs for a hardy sps that would fan out nicely over that rock. I think that would be your best bet and its in a good spot high up almost center of your tank. What lighting do you have again?

I forgot to ask or may have missed, was the duncan open before you got the PAR38? or did it close after you got them?

So it didn't like the water change and it's acclimating to much stronger lights so it could be both reasons.

The only thing I can think of otherwise is if there's some kind of irritant, anything like that may be on your hands or something.

Hmmm.. idk. I dont have lotion or anything on my hands. Ill just test everything when i get the kit in and leave it be. See what happens. I dont see any pests or anything on it so idk. Just one of those things i guess.

It will probably pass when he's hungry he'll have to open up. Get something nice & fishy like silverside and see if that helps.

yeah ill have to try that out. im planning to grab a bag of scallops from work when ever we have them on sale. im sure they would like some of them.

duncan is showing some signs of recovery

this morning when lights turned on

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130615_122523_zps0e427454.jpg.html'>20130615_122523_zps0e427454.jpg

after i got home tonight. lights have been off for about an hour

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130615_210558_zpsaa6545d1.jpg.html'>20130615_210558_zpsaa6545d1.jpg

most open ive seen it in 3 weeks.

also these zoas are looking so nice after the new lights

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130615_122538_zpscf441dc2.jpg.html'>20130615_122538_zpscf441dc2.jpg

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130615_122547_zps40574647.jpg.html'>20130615_122547_zps40574647.jpg

well just saw that the lfs i go to will be closed tomorrow and the only other day i have off of work is wednesday which they are also closed... just my luck :rant:

well... duncan = back to crap again.

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130616_185222_zps34d93583.jpg.html'>20130616_185222_zps34d93583.jpg

idk what the brown/red stuff is on it. cyano maybe? tried brushing it off but its stuck on there pretty good. hopefully its not that brown jelly ive been hearing about.

also i got an acan

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130616_184926_zps855303ad.jpg.html'>20130616_184926_zps855303ad.jpg

hmm... sorry your duncan is being such a PITA. Pretty acans though. I'd just continue w/ your plan and feed it everyday for right now, alternating with scallop and mysis to keep it excited. Just a little everyday.

yeah i guess the duncan just likes being a butt head lol. i tried feeding it today but dont think it ate. im really liking the acans. been wanting to get some for a while. i also picked up another zoa frag. they havnt opened up yet so no pictures.

I would probably now give it 1-1.5 mos time for everything to settle in with all your recent coral acquisitions and new lighitng and allow the tank to catch up.

yeah thats the plan. especially since im out of coral money :P

agreed. I'm at max capacity w/ corals, I have to let them grow in so it's a waiting game now, just watch it fill in while I'm planning for the 20L for January.

Super CatPig

well... duncan = back to crap again.

20130616_185222_zps34d93583.jpg

idk what the brown/red stuff is on it. cyano maybe? tried brushing it off but its stuck on there pretty good. hopefully its not that brown jelly ive been hearing about.

The stringy brown thing coming out of it looks to me like your duncan might be expelling its zooxanthellae. Or maybe I am seeing the picture wrong or not understanding what we are looking at.. Did it crap this stuff out for a while? I'm no good at IDing brown jelly disease, however I believe that it involves RTN/STN (Rapid or Slow Tissue Necrosis). I may be wrong there as well though. Being wrong is my speciality.. You could always try the Disease & Pest Treatment section in the forums if it refuses to be happy.

Archived