Top Shelf Aquatics

t8raff's 20L AIO... RAP orlando!

t8raff

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

First time seeing your post. Looking good. I only have 3 mo old Evolve 8 but already have the 20L sitting on the floor in my bedroom. That I plan to start Jan 1, 2014. so addicting this hobby. The researching is addicting, checking out corals is addicting, buying is addicting, and you will always say you have room for one more coral. Enjoy. Watching the tank is addicting. When you wake up at 3am and go to the tank to see what's lurking..... addicting. but fun. I like the previous idea about a ric shelf. That gives me some ideas for scaping later.

First time seeing your post. Looking good. I only have 3 mo old Evolve 8 but already have the 20L sitting on the floor in my bedroom. That I plan to start Jan 1, 2014. so addicting this hobby. The researching is addicting, checking out corals is addicting, buying is addicting, and you will always say you have room for one more coral. Enjoy. Watching the tank is addicting. When you wake up at 3am and go to the tank to see what's lurking..... addicting. but fun. I like the previous idea about a ric shelf. That gives me some ideas for scaping later.

It is definatly addicting! I have a 10 gallon tank just sitting there staring at me wanting me to start it up too lol.

just put another pump in my tank. seems like both of them going is too much flow. they are both 500 gph but the one i already had in i modified so it was probably 300ish. just switched it to powerhead mode so its at around 150 gph now. i got the old powerhead pointing in the same spot and the new one along the back glass. we will see how that works.

FlowerMama

you could always leave that as a quarantine tank for meds, or frag tank, or a pest tank- many possibilities.

Took some pics because everything looked happy today. Moved a couple of things around but might change it again.

Sorry if the pics are crappy

20130524_141129_zpsf9bdc21f.jpg20130524_141134_zps0876efde.jpg20130524_141145_zps0ec73777.jpg20130524_141158_zps212dfadd.jpg20130524_141213_zpsa3ea152a.jpg20130524_141643_zps2581c467.jpg20130524_141656_zps7db477d5.jpg

venturalvn

I have a koralia 425 and a 250 in mine, in a T-section from the far ends of the tank. Combined with my AC 30, thats about as much flow as I'd want in my tank for now, as anything more seems to be just too violent for the corals.

Ive seen a few tanks with some pretty harsh flow, and the coral colonies within seem to fair pretty well, but all I have are frags right now and the polyps seem to have their hands full with my current setup.

Well i took the old pump out. Seems like it was way too much flow. My duncan looked like it was in a wind tunnel no matter where i put it. Right now i just have the new one and the flow pattern is much better. I also started using the turkey baster to blast the cyano so my filter can catch it. So far so good.

That's great to hear. Right now in my tank it is a race for dominance between two different colors of coraline algea. Coraline algea is actually starting to become a pain. It wont spread on my back glass just the front where i have to scrape it off once a week. I dont think you have anything to worry about though the cyano will pass soon just keep the routine maintenance up.

havnt been on here in a few days. went to a friends house for a few days for my b day (which is today actually). anyways came home this morning to a cyano sand bed =[. i blew everything off with my turkey baster but i guess that didnt work too well because its back to how it was this morning. idk what to do any more.

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130530_184405_zps2f882d20.jpg.html'>20130530_184405_zps2f882d20.jpg

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130530_184424_zps61631b61.jpg.html'>20130530_184424_zps61631b61.jpg

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130530_184417_zps8543cd37.jpg.html'>20130530_184417_zps8543cd37.jpg

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130530_184410_zpsca97d460.jpg.html'>20130530_184410_zpsca97d460.jpg

FlowerMama

is the flow towards the sand bed? I'd also try siphoning it out because even w/ a turkey baster blowing it apart, sure it goes in the filter but there are still tons of little particles probably whizzing around the tank and probably just recolonizes. It's my theory anyway.

i have the flow pointed at the back glass. there is quite a bit of flow on the sand bed though. you can see the hairy bits of the cyano blowing around pretty good. hopefully i can get a water change in tomorrow and suck all that crap out again.

FlowerMama

My understanding too is once there's nothing for it to feed off of, it'll die. 4- 5 days after I was my most annoyed with it is when it started wayning. It is frustrating though because you hate the look of it in the meantime.

havnt been on here in a few days. went to a friends house for a few days for my b day (which is today actually). anyways came home this morning to a cyano sand bed =[. i blew everything off with my turkey baster but i guess that didnt work too well because its back to how it was this morning. idk what to do any more.

20130530_184405_zps2f882d20.jpg

20130530_184424_zps61631b61.jpg

20130530_184417_zps8543cd37.jpg

20130530_184410_zpsca97d460.jpg

I had the exact same problem about 2 months ago. Your phosphates must be high. mine were and i had the same algae issue. Suck as much of the cyano out as u can with a turkey baster and stir the sand and do a huge WC like 60%. Wait a week or so and see if it goes away if it doesnt do another 60+% WC. I did it twice and it cleared my algae out no problem. my 2 fish at the time didnt make it thru my battle with cyano. they died before i knew what the issue really was.

Hope this helps!!

In order to take care of cyanobacteria you have understand it as well. Cyanobacteria is not an algea it is a very large collection of single cell bacteria. Cyano actually creates its own food through photosynthesis. Phosphates dont play too much of a role in that.

Link to help with more info

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria

The best thing you can do is physically remove the cyano from your tank and perform route maintenance on a schedule. Like i said in previous posts i did a 15-20% water change twice a week during my cyano phase. The next best thing is check your bulb life on your t5. After 6 months of use or a year of none use (sitting in a store) the bulb starts to loose its effectiveness at maintaining proper light spectrums. Cyano thrives in bad light conditions. Another step is to increase your light spectrums as well. Think of cyano as a plant, as a matter of fact several researchers believe modern day plants evolved from certain strands of cyanobacteria. Plants grow best at 6500k light spectrums and lower. When checking your t5 light fixture and possibly getting new bulbs, aim at a light rating of 10,000k or higher. And finally in closing another thing to consider is with plants and cyanobacteria the nutrients they actually use is co2 that they convert into o2. Try to monitor your carbon levels in your tank and take very slow and small steps to lower your disolved carbon levels in your tank.

With that i get off my soap box. Hope this helps a little. Biggest factor in all of this is to not give up and keep up the fight. I was there just one month ago myself you can make it through.

woke up this morning and used the turkey baster to suck out all of the cyano. sand looked nice. came back home a few hours later and its back to crap. doesnt even look like i did anything. checked phosphates, nitrates and amonia and its all 0. my bulbs are just a couple months old so i dont think its from them. today is water change day so im just gonna siphon up all the sand and rocks and tomorrow im going to the lfs to get some nassarius snails to help stir up the sand and keep it moving (hopefully). gonna see what deals on corals he has tomorrow as well (it was my b day yesterday so i can splurge a little right? lol). we will see how things go.

well water change is done. sucked up every bit of cyano i saw with some airline tubing. also repositioned my circulation pump. we will see how that does.

well water change is done. sucked up every bit of cyano i saw with some airline tubing. also repositioned my circulation pump. we will see how that does.

Airline tubing worked pretty good at targeting the areas you wanted huh. The only downside is it works slow and can be tedious.

yeah it worked awesome. only problem i had was the only tubing i had left wasnt quite long enough so had to aim it at the bucket haha. ill have to pick more up tomorrow when im out.

yeah it worked awesome. only problem i had was the only tubing i had left wasnt quite long enough so had to aim it at the bucket haha. ill have to pick more up tomorrow when im out.

Home depot has airline tubing you can buy by the foot for really cheap.

how the tank looked this morning

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130601_101856_zpsf3399cd2.jpg.html'>20130601_101856_zpsf3399cd2.jpg

stopped at two places and no one had the snails i need. will have to go back sometime next week if i have the time. but i did pick up 2 corals! who wants to guess what they are?

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/t8raff/media/20130601_125135_zpsf61114e5.jpg.html'>20130601_125135_zpsf61114e5.jpg

also talked to the guy at the little shop of corals (lfs by me) and he said the cyano is probably because i have too much white spectrum. he told me to look into some different bulbs and to ad a strip of two of white led's and then should be good.

Archived