Coral Vue Hydros

50g Zeovit Tank....

Funkateer_1

Funkateer_1

Bump it up! Im gonna swap my halides soon. Probably Pheonix 14k's. The Ushio's i've never been super satisfied with. Any suggestions?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arkayology

Bump it up! Im gonna swap my halides soon. Probably Pheonix 14k's. The Ushio's i've never been super satisfied with. Any suggestions?

I used a phoenix 14k before. Its a nice bulb. You could also look into XM. I have seen some nice tanks with the XM 20k.

Funkateer_1

I used a phoenix 14k before. Its a nice bulb. You could also look into XM. I have seen some nice tanks with the XM 20k.

I haven't used XM bulbs in years, maybe they are worthy of a look. Probably go with their 15k. I think all that high kelvin stuff slows growth, its too unnatural for these shallow reef 'SPS' environments we try to mimic. I'm willing to sacrifice a little color for faster growth. I was even thinking about going back to the old 10k.

Arkayology

I haven't used XM bulbs in years, maybe they are worthy of a look. Probably go with their 15k. I think all that high kelvin stuff slows growth, its too unnatural for these shallow reef 'SPS' environments we try to mimic. I'm willing to sacrifice a little color for faster growth. I was even thinking about going back to the old 10k.

Nothing wrong with the 10k bulbs.

• 3 weeks later...
Funkateer_1

atq9eg.jpg

2eaigky.jpg

Well I was gone for two weeks. No dosing, no reactor shaking, nothing but a little bit of food for the fish. Tank did just fine. Colors are a little faded/brownish but i'm sure it'll come back with additives.

How much did your alk and ca drop? Could this have contributed to the browning/fade? Tank still looking awesome.

Funkateer_1

I have a dosing pump so my elements were fine. I didn't do any zeo additives, I just put a weeks worth of start (1/2 dose of what I usually do) and some potassium in my ATO.

Forgot about the dosing pump. When you said no dosing, I assumed you ment nothing.

Do you dose k balance or pif? If so care to share experiences with growth, do you feel it enhance growth and coloration more so than with out it? Just curious as I have been thinking of trying out some k balance regular strength. Whats a good number to maintain my potassium at?

Funkateer_1

Forgot about the dosing pump. When you said no dosing, I assumed you ment nothing.

Do you dose k balance or pif? If so care to share experiences with growth, do you feel it enhance growth and coloration more so than with out it? Just curious as I have been thinking of trying out some k balance regular strength. Whats a good number to maintain my potassium at?

I've been using K-Balance, it's not really a concentrated K additive though, just more trace elements like B-Balance. Noticed a little more tip color after using it consistently for awhile. PIF is awesome, really makes the blues BLUE. Just stay on it and it takes a month or two to see a real difference. I do it twice a week. I use brightwell potassium powder. 5tsp in a liter of water and put 25mL twice a week. I try to keep it around 400-420.

Funkateer_1

Hey Funk,

Are you dosing ZEOzym or Biomate?

I use Zeozym weekly. Double dose of 1/2tsp mixed with a few drops of zeobak. I mooch off the work supply and let it sit for 8-10 hours in the fridge in a fish bag before I use it. I have biomate at home but haven't used it since I moved the tank. I should also mention I haven't used Coral Snow in months. No real reason, I just ran out and never bought more.

Funkateer_1

Just picked up ZZ and will start dosing tonight, no problems in the tank just wanted to try it :)

Its hard on your skimmer I find, I usually leave mine off for the rest of the night after dosing it.

Funkateer_1

16a4njs.jpg

New piece.

eg4ggw.jpg

2aha9vl.jpg

Yellow torch, haven't personally kept a Euphyllia in my home tank in years. We'll see how it does.

Funkateer_1

Nice, I miss my flame. Is that a mated pair?

Well their not mated yet, but their not viciously murdering each other. With my experiences pairing centro angels that's a very good sign that they should be buddies.

• 3 weeks later...

Its hard on your skimmer I find, I usually leave mine off for the rest of the night after dosing it.

I thoughts thats why its used, it increases skimmer production.

I have my jar, havnt used it yet.

I thoughts thats why its used, it increases skimmer production. I have my jar, havnt used it yet.

It works great, I use it exclusively instead of snow now. Better results.

11090qq.jpg

ftf2va.jpg

Glad to see the pair of flame angels have settled in.

Definently settling in... eating all the polyps off my SPS too :D . Too bad I like them, growth and color seem OK but polyps only open late at night as opposed to all day before.

Current fish stock list:

- Percula Pair (PNG wild caught X SA TB Onyx)

- Starcki Damsel

- Plesiops

- Radiant Wrasse

- Flame Angel X 2

- Sixline Wrasse X 2

Still wanna add...

- Burgess B/F

- Imperator Angel Juv.

- Griffis Angel Juv (in QT)

Some nice new additions, what are your flames eating?

Humilis, Joe the Coral, poci, becker tort. They seem to leave the SPS/softies alone though.

b54s5c.jpg

New lights. Traded the overkill 250w fixture for the 150w model to a local zeohead (Zeovit users might know him as Bogg, cool guy lots of knowledge). Less electricity, heat, and nice small internal ballasts.

Archived