SaltCritters.com

50g Zeovit Tank....

Funkateer_1

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool - Good to see some on NR using the balling method. I am waiting for my shipment to arrive, along with a GHL doser 2.

Curious to see how it works on your system.

161i4gp.jpg

After many long months waiting for this product, I finally got it in. I will start it tonight.

Cool - Good to see some on NR using the balling method. I am waiting for my shipment to arrive, along with a GHL doser 2.

Curious to see how it works on your system.

I'm curious too. I have long questioned the quality of BRS additives. After some dialing in, all my levels are good. Magnesium and potassium have stayed nice and stable as well.

qxnbea.jpg

2qwmwz7.jpg

15f0k07.jpg

1zqrjh1.jpg

2w1z7o6.jpg

332a5gz.jpg

Another new gadget. Tunze 6040 powerhead.

You put a frag of Xenia in your tank? Why would you do that ?

6040, I am waiting for this to come to Canada, looks promising and I can control it with the APEX along with my 6055. How do you like it so far, any review ?

You put a frag of Xenia in your tank? Why would you do that ?

6040, I am waiting for this to come to Canada, looks promising and I can control it with the APEX along with my 6055. How do you like it so far, any review ?

It's Vargas cespitularia... much more valuable and slower growing than xenia.

I like the 6040. It moves tons of water a very wide angle. The controller is a little off putting. The english translation in the manual is a little hard to figure out.

That 6040 is sweet, tiny footprint for sure. Tanks looking awesome as usual.

So how many times has this tank been moved and or broke down/changed up? Seems like a lot but through it all, it always bounces back and looks really good. Good equip and know how.

Ps. That zzym sample you hooked me up with showed some great results in my tank, I plan to swing by and pick up some this weekend. Thanks for the help and hooking it up.

That 6040 is sweet, tiny footprint for sure. Tanks looking awesome as usual.

So how many times has this tank been moved and or broke down/changed up? Seems like a lot but through it all, it always bounces back and looks really good. Good equip and know how.

Ps. That zzym sample you hooked me up with showed some great results in my tank, I plan to swing by and pick up some this weekend. Thanks for the help and hooking it up.

I've moved it 3 times since I got the tank. I've broken the tank down twice and installed a sump and redid the rockwork. That big redo was when I started Zeovit.

I'm glad you liked the ZZ. Good stuff, it's aquarium grade drano. I should have plenty in stock.

It's Vargas cespitularia... much more valuable and slower growing than xenia.

I like the 6040. It moves tons of water a very wide angle. The controller is a little off putting. The english translation in the manual is a little hard to figure out.

Ahhh, what a relief ... cespitularia :P

What controller are you using with it?

I am waiting to see what the Maxspect gyre 35 watt does in small tanks. :) the Tunze does look interesting though. I think it has been overlooked by the Gyre being released this year too.

95n6dc.jpg
jsoqv8.jpg
I cannot stop looking at my tank from the side. I never had it viewable until I moved the tank. Water is so clear!

I am waiting to see what the Maxspect gyre 35 watt does in small tanks. :) the Tunze does look interesting though. I think it has been overlooked by the Gyre being released this year too.

Ehhhhh.... everyone's freaking out over those things. Not too impressed :closedeyes: . I'll have to see. Wish they made a nano one.

You know.... I was giving the Gyre more thought. I think it could be very handy on large tanks, just to create so general surge, but should still be supplemented with other powerheads. IME, SPS need very strong, direct flow. They liked to be punched by the water, not have it gently pushed around them (if that makes any sense). Plus the Maxspect looks like a giant dong. I like my low profile powerheads.

Tanks doing well, kind of on auto pilot now. I'm out of room and have had to limit my livestock to match my fish's voracious appetites. They seem to be hard on acros but leave stylo, birdsnest, and other types of stony corals alone. Right now, I'm doing occasional water changes, feeding the fish, and routinely add the basic zeo life support additives. I'm adding other zeo additives based on my coral's appearances but not stuck on a schedule. It's nice having a tank that I can just leave alone and enjoy.

The leopard is doing great. He's playing with other three wrasses in the tank very well. Still thinking about adding a pair of tobies and maybe a different genus of angelfish.

2gul3z5.jpg

m7fatw.jpg

2yobst0.jpg

jjptog.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

A little update for the new years...

The past couple of weeks have been hard on the tank. Rapid tissue death from the tips has taken out most of my SPS. It started with the sensitive acros but has moved to even the toughest corals I have owned for years. Monitpora, Turbinaria, even the stylos and poccis are going down. I removed most of the valuable corals into one of the large propagation systems where and they are slowly on the road to recovery.

It's odd. It started with color loss, then slow death from the tips. Dips revealed no pests and the broad range of animals inflicted makes me think it was something environmental, not a parasite. My KH rose up a little (to around 9DKH), most likely from the lack of calcification of the corals and my tank has been staying very cold (around 74). Organics are undetectable, CA is around 400 and Mg is at 1250. My salinity has been around 1.025 and was cross checked with a separate salinity instrument. My water source is perfect, and comes from a commercial machine that provides RO/DI to many reef tanks.

I'm not really bummed per se. I was thinking of tearing down the tank and taking a break but my wife convinced me not too. I have to many awesome fish and all the equipment. I think I will continue to remove corals and replace them with some nice softies, maybe even some more finicky non-photos. I used to keep several tricky species with no issue in my older systems. Surprisingly, my lace coral and dendros are doing great.

I will continue to keep zeovit running even with hardier corals. The tank is just so stable and runs exceptionally clean. I will probably add more fish to the collection too, maybe some with appetites for coral (more angels and butterflies). Here are some photos of new additions and some of the inflicted corals...

1znn404.jpg

Beautiful Cladellia

21zmyx.jpg

Type of death occurring on coral. Slow but aggressive.

2m5xl3q.jpg

Montipora wasting away

2ltpw9i.jpg

New addition istigobius ornatus

aylhjd.jpg

Sexually confused leopard. Getting greener every day.

2emd6i1.jpg

FTS

• 2 weeks later...

Well the tank is in a better place now. Pretty much all the SPS have been removed or have passed away.

I have recently acquired an NPS Dendronephthya tree coral that is responding very well to bacterial plankton and heavy feeding. It bloats up massive when I feed Coral Vitalizer and Sponge Power. It seems to benefit from the mulm from my reactor as well. I will use this SPS die off to experiment with NPS corals in a Zeovit environment. Pictures to come soon ;)

dbnpt3.jpg

I also picked up this little beauty.

muek51.jpg

I found this guy... dinosaur emerald crab. He might be chomping on the corals too :lol:

2957q6h.jpg

Here it sits today.

2ldvv2r.jpg

Here's the carnation. It gets massive at night when I feed it coral gumbo and phyto. Nobody really knows what/how they eat so i'm trying to feed it heavy with pumps off then later with the pumps on. Some non-phyto coral prefer feeding during high flow.

s6tbaq.jpg

The goby.

Sorry to hear about all your coral issues. Looking forward to seeing some more Butterflies though. Nice chameleon. :)

It's not my first die-off and probably won't be my last. Most of the colonies have almost completely recovered in the prop system at my work. I plan to frag them up today. At least I know why I lost the corals. If I lost them to AEFW or a another pest or had no clue i'd really be upset. Really it came down to losing interest and other things getting in front of the tank. It's been raining a lot in SD too so I haven't been able to collect any water for a water change recently.

More butterflies are definitely in the works. I just do not know how my Burgess is gonna respond to them

Archived