inTank Media Baskets

Meepduino: 2.0 RELEASED!

MeepNand

I ordered the probe you mentioned. I should have it next week and will post results. But Imo, a good ATO with optical fluid sensor and a refractometer would probably be more accurate with less maintenance in the long run.

• Like 1

Maintenance, I totally agree, as catastrophic failure can happen without warning. But with a liquid level sensor, you have to change its position each week when you do a WC. Well, post the results here or something when you're done!

I'm having a bit of trouble uploading the code into the arduino. Not really sure what's going on here. I selected "Tools" and changed the board to Arduino Mega 2560 selected the right com port. Then I copy and paste the text from the text file and hit upload and the results look like this...... Did I do something wrong or miss a step somewhere?

post-79903-0-92877200-1368788560_thumb.png

• Like 1

Did you download the extra libraries? You need to download the .zip on the google code page and put the four or five folders in there into your Arduino libraries folder.

I couldn't get the audruino to power up when i wired it like the diagram so I did this. Is that going to hurt the board in any way? Also, once the board powers up, anything that I click on leads to a black screen. Is it because i don't have my RTC?

post-79903-0-01678300-1368827326_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Works fine for me. Anything you click on, you say? Seems to be a recurring problem in some cases. Try powering it off for a few moments, then powering it on. If that doesn't work, then tell me. I did make a couple changes to the 1.4 code for personal use, so I might have inadvertantly fixed something.

Wiring should be fine. Just don't place it on a conductive surface. Your setup looks very clean.

EDIT: Are you sure that you wired the power and ground wires properly? And I'm pretty sure you need the RTC to work; the display changes with the RTC.

Ok, I got the wiring right now. Just had my negative and positive messed up, but the screen is still black after I click on any button. I guess I need to wait for the RTC to come in. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Meep, Got a question about the temp control, if I want to build the controller with out the temp controller which set of code would I need? Also could the temp probe be used just a thermometer?

• Like 1

Done! Just uploading the code now.

Improvements over 1.4:

-I fixed the flashing bars for led power. Now they are solid.

-Display loads much faster than before.

-Acclimation mode added.

Something to think on:

The actual "control" parts of the code compromise only a couple hundred lines. However, the user interface uses thousands.

So I could make a "solid state" arduino controller for about $10 and a little time. The current design costs more but is much easier to program.

I think I'll pick up the parts for this soon.

Then I'll mess up in the assembly, get angry, and throw it out the window then buy another set of parts and try again.

The latter is optional.

• Like 1

I think I'll pick up the parts for this soon.

Then I'll mess up in the assembly, get angry, and throw it out the window then buy another set of parts and try again.

The latter is optional.

I made this pretty simple man. But I still get screwed up on the most simple of circuits too, so...

Hey Meep or whoever else has tackled this project I would love to see what everyone has theirs contained in. Is anyone running fans on their enclosure? Wondering what size I should build or buy for this project. Any advice would be helpful.

• Like 1

Hey Meep or whoever else has tackled this project I would love to see what everyone has theirs contained in. Is anyone running fans on their enclosure? Wondering what size I should build or buy for this project. Any advice would be helpful.

I don't use fans, but I have it open-top. It doesn't get very warm at all though.

I use a tupperware container, but I got some big plastic plates from mcmaster a couple days ago, so I'll be making my own enclosure.

Thanks Meep I might attempt to build my own box once I get everything in and put together. The Tupperware sounds like a good idea while it is still expanding in developmental stage. Is this going to turn into a full reef controller?

• Like 1

Definitely! Next I'm adding pump control and lightning, then possibly some simple cloud effects (not sweeping, just dimming) and then another temperature probe, and finally salinity. pH after that's done.

Definitely! Next I'm adding pump control and lightning, then possibly some simple could effects (not sweeping, just dimming) and then another temperature probe, and finally salinity. pH after that's done.

Wow. Guess I will have to stick around a while longer on this thread.

• Like 1

Definitely! Next I'm adding pump control and lightning, then possibly some simple cloud effects (not sweeping, just dimming) and then another temperature probe, and finally salinity. pH after that's done.

You're good at making this more and more enticing.

And now I've ordered a ton of components through amazon prime. I think I'll swing by radioshack tomorrow and see what little they have to offer. Half the store is phones nowadays.

• Like 1

Hey guys! I've been MIA for a while due to my graduation preparations and celebrations, but here's my build so far. It's extremely messy and not contained in a box yet. Still working on that right now.

post-79903-0-49300500-1369770892_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You're good at making this more and more enticing.

And now I've ordered a ton of components through amazon prime. I think I'll swing by radioshack tomorrow and see what little they have to offer. Half the store is phones nowadays.

Radioshack is completely overpriced. Transistors are $0.50 each, where you can buy a 100 pack on ebay for $2 with 4 day shipping.

However, I did use a couple radioshack parts in a pinch.

Hey guys! I've been MIA for a while due to my graduation preparations and celebrations, but here's my build so far. It's extremely messy and not contained in a box yet. Still working on that right now.

I can't wait to see some feedback! Does the screen turn on right? How are you connecting the lcd to the mega?