Innovative Marine Aquariums

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

Got a new target mandarin over the weekend. I am so excited and happy to finally own one of these guys. I have been looking for a healthy on at the stores in my area for months.

16124969944_74983af635_h.jpg20150307_175616 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

16124968664_679408bbd4_h.jpg20150307_175551 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

So far, I have not noticed it eating anything other than pods, but I added a bottle of tigger pods the same day that I got it, in addition to the pods that are already in my tank. Gonna try getting some live bring this coming weekend to start the process of training it to frozen.

How do you determine sex on mandarins?

• Like 4

My boy has a spiky dorsal fin. At least, I'm pretty sure the spiky dorsal fin means he's a boy... These guys are so friggen peaceful he rarely shows it!

• Like 1

My boy has a spiky dorsal fin. At least, I'm pretty sure the spiky dorsal fin means he's a boy... These guys are so friggen peaceful he rarely shows it!

OK cool, I will have to watch for that.

OK cool, I will have to watch for that.

Ya normally the females have a rounded dorsal and the males have more of a spike. Really awesome fish!

Ya normally the females have a rounded dorsal and the males have more of a spike. Really awesome fish!

OK cool. I looked last night and haven't been able to see it with its dorsal fin raised so still not quite sure.

Nice looking fish CC

Thanks Kat!

OK cool. I looked last night and haven't been able to see it with its dorsal fin raised so still not quite sure.

The guy at my LFS had to poke around at my mandarin (gently) for a while to get him to show his dorsal fin. He wasn't happy in the bag and I got a good shot here:

16153183124_586980d4b3.jpgWP_20150228_004 by kimothy182, on Flickr

• Like 1

The guy at my LFS had to poke around at my mandarin (gently) for a while to get him to show his dorsal fin. He wasn't happy in the bag and I got a good shot here:

16153183124_586980d4b3.jpgWP_20150228_004 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Pretty! You know... I have a lonely female mandarin... ;)

I chased mine around with a dental mirror - turned out to be female.

• Like 1

Well sadly my ruby red jumped out at some point today and passed away. My hunt for a new mandy/dragonette begins tomorrow as it was by far my favorite fish in my tank. Should I stick with a ruby red or get another type of mandy?

Snow_Phoenix

nePNzK4.png

Just picked this guy up two days ago from my LFS and put him in my QT. Named him Hercules since he's a big boy (around 3.5"). Already on frozen crab roe, cyclops and now on Hikari Marine S pellets (he seems to like them). :)

• Like 4
Sk8n Reefer

I've been living in a cave ?Just finding this thread- beautiful fish on here. Here's my ruby red I've had for about 3 months now. Eating plenty of pods and has taken a liking to micro pellets. I keep restocking pods even though the population is heavy-lfs sells a water bottle full for cheap. Cool mellow little fish- still pretty timid

Cruising through the shrooms

37e37da07c111fe8091adbe53215dd65_zps64ef

Staring down a hermit over a pellet

d49aa91d4013b4757f9f49396ed29da5_zps17a8

• Like 4
Sk8n Reefer

Wow - what a difference a day makes- I post on this thread all happy with my Ruby red yesterday and today he never shows up- gone with no sign inside or out. Crazy. He was doing really well and eating like a champ! Bummed

Snow_Phoenix

Wow - what a difference a day makes- I post on this thread all happy with my Ruby red yesterday and today he never shows up- gone with no sign inside or out. Crazy. He was doing really well and eating like a champ! Bummed

Are you sure he's not hiding underneath a coral or between a crevice somewhere? Your ruby (based on the size of your clowns next to it) seems quite small, so he could be hiding easily anywhere in the tank. Give him a few days. He might pop up again.

• Like 1

Dang dude that sucks! Sorry to hear about your ruby too.

Sk8n Reefer

Are you sure he's not hiding underneath a coral or between a crevice somewhere? Your ruby (based on the size of your clowns next to it) seems quite small, so he could be hiding easily anywhere in the tank. Give him a few days. He might pop up again.

No sign this morning- he's not a long time hidder for sure. They sleep so heavy- wonder if something could of sneak attacked him during the night. I have a larger- 2-3" bristle worm I am trying to remove. I have a large number of ball anenomes- could one of the larger ones sting and kill it?? Aptasia ?? Brainstorming and just can't figure it out
CronicReefer

Now sign this morning- he's not a long time hidder for sure. They sleep so heavy- wonder if something could of sneak attacked him during the night. I have a larger- 2-3" bristle worm I am trying to remove. I have a large number of ball anenomes- could one of the larger ones sting and kill it?? Aptasia ?? Brainstorming and just can't figure it out

Did you check your back chambers? I know ruby reds are notorious for finding there way back there.

• Like 1

@nanofever :( sorry about the fishy

@sk8n he could be hiding, i know you said he's never hidden this long before but I would still not rule it out

Thanks Kat. :(

Sk8 when I had my 16g my clown jumped into the pump chamber and was swimming in there. Take a look...might get lucky! :)

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

@nanofever :( sorry about the fishy

@sk8n he could be hiding, i know you said he's never hidden this long before but I would still not rule it out

Did you check your back chambers? I know ruby reds are notorious for finding there way back there.

Thanks Kat. :(

Sk8 when I had my 16g my clown jumped into the pump chamber and was swimming in there. Take a look...might get lucky! :)

No luck today - I pulled all the rock out of my back filter area- no signs . Poked around in the tank and no luck. ?

I was lucky to catch a few snapshots of my Mandy eating some frozen roe today. He slurped it down like it was noodles! :wub:

NuM26N0.png

R365ejA.png

47uZ6XF.png

Bahaha looks like your mandy had a rough night.