Cultivated Reef

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

I got a velvet/brook/ich breakout, TBD, lost both my mandarins in one day. I had my female 4 years and my male 2 years....

Feeling pretty shitty right now...

I'm sorry Justin. :( how did you have the breakout? Any new fish? Mandarins are supposed to be very hardy, with their slime coat protecting them from disease. IT is a scale-less fish, and QT dips like safety stop can't be used on them. So your story saddens me. :(

Im feeling defeated, I also saw a xl male at the lfs when picked up QT stuff... :(

I added a kole without QT, the male died in my DT and the female in the QT, I only treated her with a quick FW dip, but to be fair she had a dusting of something a few days previous while the male showed no signs and both were fat. I am still trying to figure out if it was ich/brook or velvet. Only my yellow tang is left and my two clown in their own tank.

Wjcastiglione

so - I've been pondering the idea of a mandarin because my girlfriend really likes them

• My tank has been up for 4 mo
  • yes, i own a turkey baster
  • yes, I have a variety of foods available
  • yes, I would be willing to buy pods

butttttt --- how often do I buy pods to re-up my supply? or could i possibly buy those pods from the store - put them in my tank, wait a month - and then add the mandarin and hopefully it'll sustain itself?

Once you get it onto some prepared food? Whenever you notice the population getting thin. It'll be different in every system but just leave a small spot of glass filmed and watch for when the number of pods on it dwindle consistently.

For example in my macroalgae "planted" 9 gallon a 12oz bottle of them is added every 3-5 weeks...between the once-daily feeding my little splendidus grazes enough to slowly but surely grow and stay convex.

I haven't had to add more though since early December, though. The latest pod boom hasn't seemed to have slacked off like they did regularly over the bulk of the last year. Go figure.

Edit - just reread your post... don't hope the fish will sustain itself on pods alone. There are a few systems in the nano size class that that works out in and far more where it doesn't. Take the time to get it onto a readily available food, or hold out on getting one until you find one locally that already is. It will be much more enjoyable for you and better for the fish's long term prospects.

Wjcastiglione

Once you get it onto some prepared food? Whenever you notice the population getting thin. It'll be different in every system but just leave a small spot of glass filmed and watch for when the number of pods on it dwindle consistently.

For example in my macroalgae "planted" 9 gallon a 12oz bottle of them is added every 3-5 weeks...between the once-daily feeding my little splendidus grazes enough to slowly but surely grow and stay convex.

I haven't had to add more though since early December, though. The latest pod boom hasn't seemed to have slacked off like they did regularly over the bulk of the last year. Go figure.

Edit - just reread your post... don't hope the fish will sustain itself on pods alone. There are a few systems in the nano size class that that works out in and far more where it doesn't. Take the time to get it onto a readily available food, or hold out on getting one until you find one locally that already is. It will be much more enjoyable for you and better for the fish's long term prospects.

So, I bought one this weekend because the shop owner told me he was eating mysis.

He's been in the tank a couple days now - but he's been hiding in the back of the tank. I've been trying to feed him with a baster - but I can't see if he's actually eating because of the location he's hiding at.

I also added a bottle of pods when I added him.

I wish he would come out so I can make sure he's eating.

Don't sweat it too much... it can be a really, really timid fish until it gets used to your tank. As long as it has places to retreat to it will eventually start foraging.

I didn't see mine out and about for almost 2 weeks, and iirc it was a couple more before she started eating fresh hatched brine. Oh, and I hope your luck is better than mine... my mandarin was also supposedly trained as well... but I didn't insist on a demo at the store pre purchase. It turned out she was less than. ;)

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I gave in and picked up a gorgeous green mandy from Manhattan Aquariums. The only way I was going to take him home is if the LFS was able to get him to eat and he did! They gave him some frozen Mysis and he took a couple pecks and kept them down which I was absolutely thrilled about. He also had a belly on him too! I have been researching these guys for a few months and I have already fallen in love. These fish are so personable and peaceful, its hard not to love them! Today I gave him a choice of Dr G's caviar max and some frozen Mysis. He took a couple chomps at both but I'm not sure if he actually ingested the food. This will probably be my only attempt to successfully maintain one of these fish so I hope that I can get him to consistently eat. Patience is key. I will put up a couple pictures when I can snap a few. He is very out and about but my phone camera blows. I named him Joe:)

• Like 2

Yesterday I gave in and picked up a gorgeous green mandy from Manhattan Aquariums. The only way I was going to take him home is if the LFS was able to get him to eat and he did! They gave him some frozen Mysis and he took a couple pecks and kept them down which I was absolutely thrilled about. He also had a belly on him too! I have been researching these guys for a few months and I have already fallen in love. These fish are so personable and peaceful, its hard not to love them! Today I gave him a choice of Dr G's caviar max and some frozen Mysis. He took a couple chomps at both but I'm not sure if he actually ingested the food. This will probably be my only attempt to successfully maintain one of these fish so I hope that I can get him to consistently eat. Patience is key. I will put up a couple pictures when I can snap a few. He is very out and about but my phone camera blows. I named him Joe:)

I gave in and got one over the weekend too. I named him Jonas.

• Like 3

I gave in and got one over the weekend too. I named him

First one too? We can help one another out here! Joe's doin work on the LR right now..my pods are like eff you bruh.

• Like 2

First one too? We can help one another out here! Joe's doin work on the LR right now..my pods are like eff you bruh.

Yup. Jonas is hovering around in the upper parts of my rocks nibbling here and there. He's got a spiky dorsal fin, so that mean's he's a dude right? I've got lots of pods and I'll happily buy more for him, but I also wanna find somewhere that sells cyclops or other tasty morsels.

• Like 2

Yup. Jonas is hovering around in the upper parts of my rocks nibbling here and there. He's got a spiky dorsal fin, so that mean's he's a dude right? I've got lots of pods and I'll happily buy more for him, but I also wanna find somewhere that sells cyclops or other tasty morsels.

Yeah I think the high fin means its a dude. Really cool fish, I just picked up some of Dr Gs products today, hopefully he likes em. My clowns nd cardinal went nuts. :D

• Like 1

I forgot to post a picture of Dot. I bought her in January at my birthday party at the LFS. I'm not very fond of targets but when I saw this little girl I had to have her. She's a porker. I've not had to train her or anything she munches everything, goes a little crazy for LRS frenzy food. She can barely swim after i feed LRS. :P

20150302_161907.jpg

Sam the skinny is still skinny and lives in the fuge where he forages for pods and pellets at leisure in the gentler flow.

• Like 2

rES4tMc.jpg

She's??? fairly new. I think it's been about 3 weeks. Bought it at the lfs when I saw it was eating frozen brine. She's now accepting Doc's Eco Super Eggs, Hikari bloodworms, and I see her occasionally nibble on Larry's Reef Frenzy. No progress on pellets. Still trying to fatten her up.

• Like 3
Mr. Microscope

rES4tMc.jpg

She's??? fairly new. I think it's been about 3 weeks. Bought it at the lfs when I saw it was eating frozen brine. She's now accepting Doc's Eco Super Eggs, Hikari bloodworms, and I see her occasionally nibble on Larry's Reef Frenzy. No progress on pellets. Still trying to fatten her up.

Are you mixing in the pellets with whatever you're feeding?

Also, I think you can tell male from female by the dorsal fin. Males have a dorsal, "spike" whereas females are rounded. You'll need another pic with the dorsal fin up for a more positive ID.

Beautiful specimen BTW! Love the orange you captured in the cheek.

• Like 1

So i picked up this guy (Cabernet Sauvignon aka CabSav) He is a ruby red/red wine dragonet and has been missing for two days (from yesterday afternoon through today). He was added friday and is in a 85 gallon. How likely do you think he is just hiding? Should I be concerned yet?

11017690_10204908333560722_8294537784450

jedimasterben

Unfortunately ruby reds aren't treated very well in shipping since they collect so damned many of them and wholesale dirt cheap. :/

Are you mixing in the pellets with whatever you're feeding?

Also, I think you can tell male from female by the dorsal fin. Males have a dorsal, "spike" whereas females are rounded. You'll need another pic with the dorsal fin up for a more positive ID.

Beautiful specimen BTW! Love the orange you captured in the cheek.

Thanks! I got really lucky with her/him - Another LFS had been trying to sell me a pair for several weeks but they weren't accepting anything that wasn't alive, so I passed on them. Definitely my most favorite thing in the tank. (hoping I didn't jinx anything)

I mix the pellets with the eco eggs, since they're both similar in shape, but no dice. Maybe the pellets are old? It's NLS Thera A. Maybe I'll try the bloodworms next.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Thanks! I got really lucky with her/him - Another LFS had been trying to sell me a pair for several weeks but they weren't accepting anything that wasn't alive, so I passed on them. Definitely my most favorite thing in the tank. (hoping I didn't jinx anything)

I mix the pellets with the eco eggs, since they're both similar in shape, but no dice. Maybe the pellets are old? It's NLS Thera A. Maybe I'll try the bloodworms next.

Well done on the patience!!!

Maybe try grinding up the pellets a bit into a powdery form and mix that in with the food. Then, it might get used to the flavor of the pellets and you can gradually experiment with half/full pellets.

I hope you have a good skimmer. Lol

• Like 1

Well done on the patience!!!

Maybe try grinding up the pellets a bit into a powdery form and mix that in with the food. Then, it might get used to the flavor of the pellets and you can gradually experiment with half/full pellets.

I hope you have a good skimmer. Lol

Would the powdered pellets not simply wash off in the water? Just curious.

And I rum skimmerless. :D Trying to create an ideal condition for the clams.

CronicReefer

So i picked up this guy (Cabernet Sauvignon aka CabSav) He is a ruby red/red wine dragonet and has been missing for two days (from yesterday afternoon through today). He was added friday and is in a 85 gallon. How likely do you think he is just hiding? Should I be concerned yet?

11017690_10204908333560722_8294537784450

Very nice ruby red! Every time I see one of these it makes me want to make a dedicated tank just to replace the one I lost to my cat's appetite when he saw it jump from the tank :(. It may hide if it is seriously stressed/weakened but it is usually out all day long pecking around at the rocks/sand/glass. They eat a pod every 10-15 seconds supposedly so they are active hunters but if you have lots of spots it can squeeze under you just may not being seeing it.

Very nice ruby red! Every time I see one of these it makes me want to make a dedicated tank just to replace the one I lost to my cat's appetite when he saw it jump from the tank :(. It may hide if it is seriously stressed/weakened but it is usually out all day long pecking around at the rocks/sand/glass. They eat a pod every 10-15 seconds supposedly so they are active hunters but if you have lots of spots it can squeeze under you just may not being seeing it.

That's what I'm hoping. He is in a 85 and all my rock is from reefcleaners so there are oodles of holes and caves for him to be hiding in. He was just out in the open for the first couple days, and now has vanished. But I haven't seen a mass migration of nass snails, or any other sign of death, so I'm cautiously optimistic...