Cultivated Reef

Justin's Mixed 9G

Justind823

Was wondering, why dont you have your skimmers output going directly into the fuge area? Last time I made a "Bucket" Sump, I used 5gal square pale with a 2gal square pale inside it.

Heater+ skimmer+ fuge area was in smaller bucket that overflowed into the larger one where I had used egg crate to seperate half for LR and other half for return pump. Then had a shelf above it with a small 1gal jug for gravity feed ATO. worked great on 40gal reef :)

Was wondering, why dont you have your skimmers output going directly into the fuge area? Last time I made a "Bucket" Sump, I used 5gal square pale with a 2gal square pale inside it.

Heater+ skimmer+ fuge area was in smaller bucket that overflowed into the larger one where I had used egg crate to seperate half for LR and other half for return pump. Then had a shelf above it with a small 1gal jug for gravity feed ATO. worked great on 40gal reef :)

Sounds like you had a pretty good system down. That big rectangular thing is not actually a skimmer but a micro bubble reducer I use since my sump is pretty low flow and without baffles. It has worked very well for me. I can't remember where I found the design - I believe it's a Japanese product, I just found the DIY of it on some other forum. This tank is all biological filtration!

• 3 weeks later...

OMG...I'm in love!!!! This is fabulous!!!! I used to have magicians. You are making me want to start a new colony of them. I'm adding them to my list.

Gorgeous cat too!!!!

Haha thanks! I have to get a better picture of the changes I just made.

I love the magicians, I've had them for awhile now. Just recently I've been getting really nice growth from them.

The cat is gorgeous, I've had her for awhile now. Just recently I've been getting really nice growth from her...mostly outwards.

:P

• Like 1

Haha thanks! I have to get a better picture of the changes I just made.

I love the magicians, I've had them for awhile now. Just recently I've been getting really nice growth from them.

The cat is gorgeous, I've had her for awhile now. Just recently I've been getting really nice growth from her...mostly outwards.

:P

You totally inspired me. I went and bought some magicians today. I totally forgot how beautiful they are, until I saw your tank. I'll have them tomorrow. :)
  • Like 1

You totally inspired me. I went and bought some magicians today. I totally forgot how beautiful they are, until I saw your tank. I'll have them tomorrow. :)

Ah good! I'm quite alright with being responsible for coral purchases.

I'll be looking for some pics!

• 1 month later...

Quick and dirty fts.

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Justind823/media/IMG_4048_zpse661ae5d.jpg.html'>IMG_4048_zpse661ae5d.jpg

Tank has been running on auto pilot for awhile, haven't had much time for it. I've got a bit of a nuisance algae problem going, probably from the lack of water changes, so I put an emerald crabby in. Unfortunately he's got a taste for my red branching macro algae, so I had to move it up high where he couldn't get to it.

• Like 3

Did a little rescaping yesterday. The frogspawn has grown a few new heads and is really sweeping around now so I needed move it higher and back. This is shortly after the move so everything is a bit shrunken.

465cb5f9-c8e7-48b8-a671-edd1c5cbd4b3_zps

Dude you haven't won TOTM yet??? I'm voting you right now. Super clean.

Dude you haven't won TOTM yet??? I'm voting you right now. Super clean.

Hah thanks. My tank hasn't been up for very long but thanks for the compliment!

I bought some frags the other night, I'm gonna try and post some pictures sometime this weekend.

• Like 1
Stunning macros.

Hey thanks! I'm still working on my photography skills. I'm just using extension tubes which are working out pretty well for $15 imo. I didn't edit any of them except to put the black frame on.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got an mp10 the other day!

I haven't put it in the tank just yet, I need to do some rearranging first. Ive decided I don't need such a giant overflow on this tank, there really isn't much flow from my return. So I'm going to make a little adjustment to the overflow to free up some space for the mp10 to be on the back wall.

• Like 1