Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ArabTanker's Next Chapter - Photo Dump On Every Page

ArabTanker

Hey.

I have to say that I liked it better before. You can probably make a great scape with that little rock, but as it is now, to me it is just 3 rocks in a staight line. If you could move it around a bit ann use the golden ratio to create some tension in the rock placement, you would improve it imensely, I think :-)

Coraline should start to bloom when the green gunk goes away. I myself had to wait for a month and a half before it was ready

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ArabTanker

Hey. I have to say that I liked it better before. You can probably make a great scape with that little rock, but as it is now, to me it is just 3 rocks in a staight line. If you could move it around a bit ann use the golden ratio to create some tension in the rock placement, you would improve it imensely, I think :-) Coraline should start to bloom when the green gunk goes away. I myself had to wait for a month and a half before it was ready

Whats up Denmark. :D

Yeah man. I agree. It doesn't look good at all. I have an idea for the rockscape now. It is going to be pretty minimalistic. Stay posted for a major update regarding the rockwork. Im going to have a lot of extra rock lol.

Coraline takes too long. :closedeyes:

Right now I think EVERYTHING in this hobby takes too long B)

I'll be looking forward to the new rock work. Remember to get enough in there for filtration ;)

ArabTanker

Right now I think EVERYTHING in this hobby takes too long B)

I'll be looking forward to the new rock work. Remember to get enough in there for filtration ;)

Haha. I feel you.

Erm. Well. I got home and tried to rescape. Its a lot easier said then done. Thats for sure.

----

Update.

This is where its at now.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/IMAG0682.jpg.html'>IMAG0682.jpg

Am I going in the right direction?

Definitely for the better :)

I think I would make the center rock taller and maybe separate it a bit from the right piece.

But a lot better already.

I would get a few water changes done before thinking about fish. Get the technique down and all.

I'm not very good at scapes, but my advice would be to cross over somehow from the center to the right to create a shaded area. You're going to want some shade with a shallow tank, IMO. I liked the old scape. :)

I've enjoyed reading the thread, can't wait to see how everything turns out. That tank size with the light is very slick looking.

ArabTanker

Definitely for the better :)

I think I would make the center rock taller and maybe separate it a bit from the right piece.

But a lot better already.

Thanks. I think I need some more negative space on the sand bed.

I would get a few water changes done before thinking about fish. Get the technique down and all.

I'm not very good at scapes, but my advice would be to cross over somehow from the center to the right to create a shaded area. You're going to want some shade with a shallow tank, IMO. I liked the old scape. :)

I've enjoyed reading the thread, can't wait to see how everything turns out. That tank size with the light is very slick looking.

Agreed. I felt like a fish out of water during the water change. I definitely wouldn't want my fish feeling like that. :D

Old scape is kind of out the picture haha. I took a hammer to one of the bigger rocks. The way I see it. The scape only really matters for the first month or two. After that you add corals and then once they grow out you really don't even notice it. But I will continue to scape.

Thanks. :) Glad you enjoyed. I hope I don't let you down.

Jackal_Knight

Hey bro scape looks better, but like you said its not everything as you have good spots for coral placement. Keep it up!

Oh and what salt you using

Pick one of the ends to go taller and than step it down creating a lagoon of sorts and maybe connect one of the taller pieces on top to the middle section like a bridge of sorts creating a shaded area. It looks like your trying not to scape on the back wall. That will make it harder for sure. If you scape using the back wall your structure, it might be more stable and create more room in the front of the tank for coral placement. It will provide stability and give you alot more options.

Edit: If your not trying to scape directly in front of the two returns, i wonder what it would look like if you focused the majority of your scape Between the two returns. It would give you alot of room on both sides and maybe the front. For Acan, Ric, Z/P gardens etc.. Also some bigger LPS pieces, fungia's, wellso's, scolys etc a place to expand and get all puffy.

Let me know when you're ready. I may have some frags for you, but it's a big maybe. I have good growth, but not much branching out enough to safely cut. I have some red and green blasto merlettis, a head or so of torch, and maybe some green candy canes and possibly a head of green/purple tipped hammer. K goldy give it to me and said it may be a hybrid of torch and hammer. If I can't frag right away it's always on the table for you when it's safe to cut away. Just let me know if you're interested in any of it.

ArabTanker

Hey bro scape looks better, but like you said its not everything as you have good spots for coral placement. Keep it up!

Oh and what salt you using

Thanks man. Yours looks sick too. I wish I had more room to work with. But I'm not complaining. I wasn't forced to pick this tank, after all.

I am using IO reef crystals.

IMAG0686.jpg

And to answer your other question about water level. Heres where mine is at. I used my thumb as a reference.

Return side:

IMAG0689.jpg

Drain side:

IMAG0688.jpg

Hope that helps.

Pick one of the ends to go taller and than step it down creating a lagoon of sorts and maybe connect one of the taller pieces on top to the middle section like a bridge of sorts creating a shaded area. It looks like your trying not to scape on the back wall. That will make it harder for sure. If you scape using the back wall your structure, it might be more stable and create more room in the front of the tank for coral placement. It will provide stability and give you alot more options.

Edit: If your not trying to scape directly in front of the two returns, i wonder what it would look like if you focused the majority of your scape Between the two returns. It would give you alot of room on both sides and maybe the front. For Acan, Ric, Z/P gardens etc.. Also some bigger LPS pieces, fungia's, wellso's, scolys etc a place to expand and get all puffy.

I like the lagoon idea. I was trying to do that last night but there just isn't enough room to work with. But I was avoiding the back wall. So tonight I will try again using the back wall.

If the lagoon idea doesn't work out I am going to try this. I was trying to avoid using the middle only but it might not look bad.

Question though. Will it be bad for coral to be in the direct path of the mp10? I plan on putting it on the left wall. Will I be able to put coral on that big rock?

IMAG0687.jpg

Thanks for the ideas man.

Let me know when you're ready. I may have some frags for you, but it's a big maybe. I have good growth, but not much branching out enough to safely cut. I have some red and green blasto merlettis, a head or so of torch, and maybe some green candy canes and possibly a head of green/purple tipped hammer. K goldy give it to me and said it may be a hybrid of torch and hammer. If I can't frag right away it's always on the table for you when it's safe to cut away. Just let me know if you're interested in any of it.

Thanks man. Im pretty free after tomorrow night. If you do have some frags I may try to make a trip to NY in a couple weeks to check them out. I appreciate you holding them for me man.

Did you ever get the drain to quiet down?

Yes sir, I did. Thanks for reminding me. I never posted a picture of my remedy.

Instead of having a straight drain pipe go directly into the water column, I elbowed it so that there is some time for the air to escape the water before it enters the sump. The elbow is placed where it is about 2/3 water and 1/3 air. Connected to the elbow is a tee. The tee is basically to allow air to escape.

IMAG0683.jpg

IMAG0685.jpg

Worked out well. I also add some filter floss into the end of the tee to clear up water.

IMAG0684.jpg

When I do use the floss, you can see bubbles pouring out of the middle hole of the tee. I wasn't using it at the time.

Hope that made sense.

Snail trying to escape.

IMAG0681.jpg

Rescape:

IMAG0002.jpg

What you guys think?

YES YES, much better! I really dig this one. Good job on not quitting. Scaping can b frustrating. You killed it on this one :)

What kind of creative juice u drinking over there boy

ArabTanker

YES YES, much better! I really dig this one. Good job on not quitting. Scaping can b frustrating. You killed it on this one :)

What kind of creative juice u drinking over there boy

Hahaha. Thank you. Your advice definitely helped.

Theres so much room on the right for activities. :happydance:

Creative? Nono. I just started to get angry. omgomgomg Haha.

Under the cave you can put low light dendros, sun corals, duncans and such and it gives the fish a place to hide. Than on top of the big cave rock can go the more demanding lights corals, like Montis, & other sps and such. I love the area to the left of the big rock, lots of sand, cove area to showcase some cool candy :)

ArabTanker

Under the cave you can put low light dendros, sun corals, duncans and such and it gives the fish a place to hide. Than on top of the big cave rock can go the more demanding lights corals, like Montis, & other sps and such. I love the area to the left of the big rock, lots of sand, cove area to showcase some cool candy :)

You got me all excited.

I decided I want to go to the lfs tomorrow after my final. What do you suppose my first victim coral should be?

Muh haha, what coral do i kill first.... lol

Lets see. NOT Xenia, it grows in toilet conditions and can overtake your tank in no time. But with that said if you want a piece, i'll throw a frag in with your Cheato but pretty sure it wont make a 2-3 day trip.

ArabTanker

Muh haha, what coral do i kill first.... lol

Lets see. NOT Xenia, it grows in toilet conditions and can overtake your tank in no time. But with that said if you want a piece, i'll throw a frag in with your Cheato but pretty sure it wont make a 2-3 day trip.

I was actually planning on putting some Xenia in my sump haha.

Lets see, mushrooms, leathers, GSP, maybe even a duncan, froggy might even b ok.

But I highly recommend avoiding corals that are "good for beginners", and to first consider what corals you'd really like to keep. (You're not going to be a beginner for long....You dont want to be stuck with a weed :) )

High end zoa. Ask Eddie what is most hardy. By the time your comfortable with harder coral, you should be able to frag some off and buy more stuff with the profits.

I mean, it's a risk spending 20 bucks or more, but from my experience, 20 bucks is not much to fill a reef tank, even with cheap stuff, and you will probably lose way more than that soon in lost, melted, stolen-from- tank members..,. I'm just telling it like it is. Lol. I think it's a good chance to get a good start on potential propagation.

ArabTanker

Lets see, mushrooms, leathers, GSP, maybe even a duncan, froggy might even b ok.

But I highly recommend avoiding corals that are "good for beginners" and to first consider what corals you'd really like to keep. (You're not going to be a beginner for long....You dont want to be stuck with a weed :) )

Is 'froggy' a frogspawn? That would be cool.

Good point. And thank you.

High end zoa. Ask Eddie what is most hardy. By the time your comfortable with harder coral, you should be able to frag some off and buy more stuff with the profits.

I mean, it's a risk spending 20 bucks or more, but from my experience, 20 bucks is not much to fill a reef tank, even with cheap stuff, and you will probably lose way more than that soon in lost, melted, stolen-from- tank members..,. I'm just telling it like it is. Lol. I think it's a good chance to get a good start on potential propagation.

I might pick up a zoa frag. It may not be high end. Im not sure if my lfs carries any of the 'designer' zoas.

Haha. Dont worry. I know I'm bound to lose some of them.

Keep in mind I dont have a powerhead in the DT yet. I should probably order that mp10 lol.

Scape looks much better with the rock being different heights and angles. I still think it could even be improved a little more by not having the center rock touch the water line. Don't be afraid to saw off the bottoms or chip off strange areas on the rocks.

ArabTanker

Scape looks much better with the rock being different heights and angles. I still think it could even be improved a little more by not having the center rock touch the water line. Don't be afraid to saw off the bottoms or chip off strange areas on the rocks.

Thanks man. I can move the small rock thats touching the water line. I was planing on using it to separate nems or something.

I GOT A CORAL. Stay posted for pictures.

Jackal_Knight

Thanks man. I can move the small rock thats touching the water line. I was planing on using it to separate nems or something.

I GOT A CORAL. Stay posted for pictures.

hurry with them pictures

Archived