inTank Media Baskets

ArabTanker's Next Chapter - Photo Dump On Every Page

ArabTanker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id send you some rubble. Lord knows I have enough of it, but unfortunaly when I couldn't keep chaeto alive for some reason, my light burnt out and I just never replaced it. Still some coraline there, but I doubt if it would survive shipping and then anything less than an extreme light acclimation.

freshh haha. my supra is fish and coral carrier haha.

Ahh. Supras... Beautiful creatures. They truly are.

Hopefully I'll have some time over summer break to fix my car up. I've been neglecting it after high school.

Excellent job man. Getting the first tank wet with saltwater for the first time is quite the achievement and a awesome feeling.

Thank man. It really is. I feel great. I don't think it's kicked in yet.

Id send you some rubble. Lord knows I have enough of it, but unfortunaly when I couldn't keep chaeto alive for some reason, my light burnt out and I just never replaced it. Still some coraline there, but I doubt if it would survive shipping and then anything less than an extreme light acclimation.

Place some of that rubble in the display for me, haha.

Its okay. Worst case I go to the lfs and pick some live rock up. I just dont want weird shit in my tank. But I'll put it in the sump. That should help.

----

My first FTS should be up tonight or tomorrow. Depends if I fall asleep before editing the pictures, haha.

----

Picture dump.

Stand:

I couldn't close the door in this pic because there were some wires going up to the display. But I think you get the point. The door just fits in place.

DSC_00042-1.jpg

DSC_00082.jpg

Cooling fan

DSC_00052-1.jpg

Sump

DSC_00102.jpg

Back of tank plumping

DSC_00032-1.jpg

First FTS. :D

]http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/DSC_00012-1.jpg.html]DSC_00012-1.jpg

And sand.

]http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/DSC_00092.jpg.html]DSC_00092.jpg

Ohh. And if you followed the first post of this thread. You know I've attempted a reef tank before... well. Not really. I just bought live rock, live sand, and some basic equipment. Well. I kept the bag of live sand over the years under my desk waiting for this day.

]http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/DSC_00112.jpg.html]DSC_00112.jpg

So I added it to the sump. :). It had a lot of life when I got it. So all that die off should be enough to start off my cycle, no?

And today I remembered I dont have a saltwater test kit. Could I use my fw kit? Doesn't have to be accurate for now. I just want a ballpark number.

Sherif is happy.

Side note: My father walked into the living room while I was staring at the cloudy water. He said in Arabic "Sherif, you accidentally put milk in there instead of water?" Haha. Cant wait to flip the light switch tomorrow morning.

So... When do I get to put stuff that moves in the tank?

Haha.

Small update. I bought purple ($10/lb) live rock for my sump. Hope the color is going to spread to the display. I also dropped two raw jumbo shrimp wrapped in stockings. They literally cooked in a day so I squeezed them into the water and then took them out. Now I have chunks of shrimp floating around that I hope start the cycle.

No signs of life yet. I'm liking the tank though. I find myself doing a lot of my school work in the living room now because of it.

Jackal_Knight

wow how did i miss this, i did't know your tanks been set up for 5 days already. your sump looks so small in that stand, mine just fits in mine. so what are you planing on keeping?

Cool thread. This will be the first one I'm going to follow :)

I have similar issues with bubbles from the overflow. I actually find the sound a little relaxing. However it does give salt creep, so if you come up with a solution, please post it :D

Cheers from Denmark

The overflow will bubble due to back pressure. You can remedy the bubbles by slowing the return down slightly so water isn't forced so fast down the overflow. You can also put a 'T' piece just after the bulkhead and put a little breather pipe running vertically for a few inches with an end cap at the top. If you put a small hole in the end cap (start really small) it will allow the air to escape from the line before it reaches the bulkhead and will also help silence any gurgling you may have. I used this method and the key is to make sure you raise the breather pipe so the max height is slightly greater then the bulkhead otherwise if you shut the water flow off with a ball/gate valve on the drain it will overflow.

I attached a picture of my drain (soon to be removed) so you can see what I mean.

post-78420-0-36526800-1367236619_thumb.jpg

wow how did i miss this, i did't know your tanks been set up for 5 days already. your sump looks so small in that stand, mine just fits in mine. so what are you planing on keeping?

Haha. I dont like double posting a lot on the build thread. So if I can, I just edit my last post with updates. Keep you on your toes. ;)

Yeah man. It is small in the stand. I can fit a 5g HD bucket in there with ease... Thats where i'm keeping my RO water for now.

Cool thread. This will be the first one I'm going to follow :)

I have similar issues with bubbles from the overflow. I actually find the sound a little relaxing. However it does give salt creep, so if you come up with a solution, please post it :D

Cheers from Denmark

Thank man. I hope I don't let you down.

Heres what I did. I first drilled a small hole in the elbow of the drain. That didn't do much.

What really helped is when I put a 90* elbow and a tee on the bottom of the drain pipe leading into the sump. I oriented the tee in a way where the middle part of the tee is facing up. This allows air to escape from the water before it enters the sump and makes popping noises. To furthermore silence the drain I went and bought a pack of filter mesh or whatever it's called and stuffed some inside the tee where the water met the sump water. The tee is half way submerged in water.

Merp. It's too early for this. If you don't understand what I'm trying to say just let me know. I'll just post some pics lol.

Cheers. :)

The overflow will bubble due to back pressure. You can remedy the bubbles by slowing the return down slightly so water isn't forced so fast down the overflow. You can also put a 'T' piece just after the bulkhead and put a little breather pipe running vertically for a few inches with an end cap at the top. If you put a small hole in the end cap (start really small) it will allow the air to escape from the line before it reaches the bulkhead and will also help silence any gurgling you may have. I used this method and the key is to make sure you raise the breather pipe so the max height is slightly greater then the bulkhead otherwise if you shut the water flow off with a ball/gate valve on the drain it will overflow.

I attached a picture of my drain (soon to be removed) so you can see what I mean.

Thanks.

Yeah. That seems to be the normal remedy around here. I did however try to avoid the airline tubing sticking out of the pipe because I will find myself looking at the back of the tank just as much as the front.

Thanks.

Yeah. That seems to be the normal remedy around here. I did however try to avoid the airline tubing sticking out of the pipe because I will find myself looking at the back of the tank just as much as the front.

Yeah I chose not to use the airline tubing cos it felt pretty flimsy to me. If your back glass was painted you could easily hide it but unfortunately you don't have that luxury, I'm sure you will find something to help stop the bubbles. I definitely recommend playing with the pump return speed though, you just need to find the perfect balance.

Take some of that rock you just bought and scrape it straight into the display. The smaller te pieces the better. You can even glue down some big chunks. Your fish will be swimming in corraline eventually.

Take some of that rock you just bought and scrape it straight into the display. The smaller te pieces the better. You can even glue down some big chunks. Your fish will be swimming in corraline eventually.

Scrape or scape? Because I did take a razor and scape some into the display tank. Man. I just want life in this think. The lfs did have some cheeper rock in the basement. It wasn't purple but it looked like it had a lot more life. Might pick some up to see if I can get the sump seeded.

Patience bro. You waited this long, years for this and you don't want to muck things up by introducing pests/unwanted hitchhikers from cheap liverock. You will have lots of live in no time. The stand, sump, and plumbing really came out great by the way. Coraline eats/needs calcium so maintain your CA levels and you be purpled up before you know it.

Patience bro. You waited this long, years for this and you don't want to muck things up by introducing pests/unwanted hitchhikers from cheap liverock. You will have lots of live in no time. The stand, sump, and plumbing really came out great by the way. Coraline eats/needs calcium so maintain your CA levels and you be purpled up before you know it.

You're right. Sigh.

Thanks man. I hope so haha.

----

Well. Good news. Diatoms. Still need a test kit though.

FishBrawler

You're right. Sigh.

Thanks man. I hope so haha.

----

Well. Good news. Diatoms. Still need a test kit though.

...Houston... WE GOT DIATOMS!.... :haha: omgomgomg :happydance: :naughtydance:

Ahhh, test kits are for wusses. Haha. Ime, get nitrite just to know when the cycle is over for sure, and nitrate if you want. Don't waste time or money on the others. When your tank is nice and stocked, then get into the cal, alk mag an all of those "fancy" tests as I call them.

Ahhh, test kits are for wusses. Haha. Ime, get nitrite just to know when the cycle is over for sure, and nitrate if you want. Don't waste time or money on the others. When your tank is nice and stocked, then get into the cal, alk mag an all of those "fancy" tests as I call them.

Hahaha. Thats exactly what I wanted to do.

Can I use my freshwater nitrite tester?

ArabTanker

Man i remember those days. It's the only time your super excited to see algae in your tank :D

Is that your final scape or are you still tinking with it?

Archived