ReefCleaners.org

ArabTanker's Next Chapter - Photo Dump On Every Page

ArabTanker

ArabTanker

They look like baby snails/baby abalone to me. If they are they are harmless but I could be wrong with the ID.

Thanks Rolla. I'll watch them for a while. I found 4-5 more of the same thing but they are a little smaller. If they are eggs I know what species laid the smaller ones. How long does it take to develop?

I just got enraged with jealousy because I thought that was a tiny ass octopus hitchhiker, but now I see that it is a hermit.

Hahaha. Jealous of a hitchhiker? Im jealous of the fact you actually have fish and coral in your tank. I think im starving the hermits though. They dont move much in my sump.

----

I just did my first water change. It.... could have gone smoother. I guess I just have to develop and stick to a technique that works for me. I do know that I need another rodi container and mixing container/powerhead. And I should probably learn how to use my refractometer.

Im hoping this water change removed a bulk of the nutrients that were feeding the algae bloom that I had initially started to feed the snails.

I'm tempted to go to the lfs this week after finals and pick up my first fish. What do you guys think?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm tempted to go to the lfs this week after finals and pick up my first fish. What do you guys think?

Plan out at least 2-3 fish that you really want. Add the most peaceful or smallest one first. That way as you continue to add fish there is a less likely chance that quarrels and deaths will occur.

What type of personality do you want in your fish, what type of swimming or perching behavior, and what colors?

ArabTanker

Whatever it is, ITS ALIVE. You have life in there now :) Your doing good, It's shaping up nicely!

Nice to see you back in here bud! Thank you.

Think you can send me a bag of Cheato this week?

PS. I added some macros to my fuge. I wonder who influenced that decision. :rolleyes:

Plan out at least 2-3 fish that you really want. Add the most peaceful or smallest one first. That way as you continue to add fish there is a less likely chance that quarrels and deaths will occur.

What type of personality do you want in your fish, what type of swimming or perching behavior, and what colors?

I defiantly want a shrimp gobi pair. Preferably a gobi with nice colors. But I dont see many that stand out. Maybe a clown. Id like some fish that swim through rocks. It would be nice because I can view the tank from all 4 sides. As for color anything yellow, purple, or blue would be sweet.

I think its obvious I haven't put much though into livestock other than the fact that I want this ish to look cool. :blush:

Nice to see you back in here bud! Thank you.

Think you can send me a bag of Cheato this week?

PS. I added some macros to my fuge. I wonder who influenced that decision. :rolleyes:

Id be happy to. PM your addy and i'll get some shipped out on Tuesday.

Awesome, thanks man. Send me your paypal as well.

Think I ready for fish?

No PayPal needed buddy, this ones on me.

Awe i think maybe a tad early. If you tested and think your cycles completely done, let your cuc settle in make sure your system stable with all those guys for a week or so and than follow the good advise of ''Scorched'' above. and you'll be set.

But i certainly think your ready for a coral or two in there.

ArabTanker

No PayPal needed buddy, this ones on me.

Awe i think maybe a tad early. If you tested and think your cycles completely done, let your cuc settle in make sure your system stable with all those guys for a week or so and than follow the good advise of ''Scorched'' above. and you'll be set.

But i certainly think your ready for a coral or two in there.

Thanks a lot man. I appreciate it. The fuge might have to be dedicated to you. Haha.

Yeah. I hear you. Idk why im rushing now all of the sudden.I guess i'm getting excited haha.

Cor...al? Dude if im ready for coral I'll go hit up a local trader tomorrow! Lol. I thought I was supposed to wait longer for coral.

You know if Xenia is a good nutrient export? I was going to add a frag to the fuge.

I just google imaged 'Xenia' to make sure I spelt it right... Cant say im disappointed in the results.

I defiantly want a shrimp gobi pair. Preferably a gobi with nice colors. But I dont see many that stand out. Maybe a clown. Id like some fish that swim through rocks. It would be nice because I can view the tank from all 4 sides. As for color anything yellow, purple, or blue would be sweet.

I think its obvious I haven't put much though into livestock other than the fact that I want this ish to look cool. :blush:

Shrimp and Goby should be first - pick one you like. Yasha or Orange Strip Prawn would be good colorful choices. Then I would do a clown next, and last a royal gramma or cherub or flameback angel depending on your preference and if you think it wont nip at your corals.

Some people use Xenia as a phosphate absorber in fuges. Whether or not it works is debatable be it seems like no one actually tests and reports levels when they do it. Lol. I agree, wait for a fish. It's not too early that it will kill it, but I would wait for your cuc to be going at a steady pace. Maybe a week or two more. Get out tomorrow and get some coral!

Also, bright... Purple... Swims through rocks.... You could be my 12l buddy and get a fridmani psuedochromis like me. My girlfriend picked it out, and I'm glad I went along with it. I love that fish. Every morning I wake up, look at the tank, and still say "wow" because it is so vibrant. It's easily the first thing I see as long as it isn't hiding in the rockwork, and even then, he picks the same spot every time and I can still see him with a little searching.

ArabTanker

Shrimp and Goby should be first - pick one you like. Yasha or Orange Strip Prawn would be good colorful choices. Then I would do a clown next, and last a royal gramma or cherub or flameback angel depending on your preference and if you think it wont nip at your corals.

I think I like the Yasha more. Do I need to buy a 'paired' couple? Or will the shrimp and goby eventually pair up together? Thanks for the suggestions. What fish do you have in yours?

Some people use Xenia as a phosphate absorber in fuges. Whether or not it works is debatable be it seems like no one actually tests and reports levels when they do it. Lol. I agree, wait for a fish. It's not too early that it will kill it, but I would wait for your cuc to be going at a steady pace. Maybe a week or two more. Get out tomorrow and get some coral! Also, bright... Purple... Swims through rocks.... You could be my 12l buddy and get a fridmani psuedochromis like me. My girlfriend picked it out, and I'm glad I went along with it. I love that fish. Every morning I wake up, look at the tank, and still say "wow" because it is so vibrant. It's easily the first thing I see as long as it isn't hiding in the rockwork, and even then, he picks the same spot every time and I can still see him with a little searching.

Sounds like a nice little report I could put together over the summer if I am able to keep xenia alive. I would love to see your fish in a fts. ;). But I just looked it up. Looks sick. I might ditch the clown and get a fridmani and one of the blue/yellow fish suggested. Now those would be some sick colors.

Do you guys buy your fish from a lfs or order online?

I think I like the Yasha more. Do I need to buy a 'paired' couple? Or will the shrimp and goby eventually pair up together? Thanks for the suggestions. What fish do you have in yours?

Do you guys buy your fish from a lfs or order online?

Midas Blenny, Clown, and Purple Pseudochromis They can be added separately and pair up, but I would try to find ones that already live together.

I bought all my fish from a store so I could see them in person and make sure they were eating and healthy. Otherwise LiveAquaria would be best for the 2 week guarantee. Almost all local stores can order you what you want and they will get it in with their usual shipment. So you could get something they don't usually have and not have to pay for shipping. They also will usually hold the fish for a while to make sure its eating and healthy before selling it to you.

In my experiences all Pseudochromis can be mean lil bastards and so can Royal Gammas. Glad to hear he had success with them in a smaller reef, but i would say thats the exception. I love Yasha G. there so cool but jumpers like most fish. What are your plans for stopping your fish from going carpet/tile surfing.

ArabTanker

Midas Blenny, Clown, and Purple Pseudochromis They can be added separately and pair up, but I would try to find ones that already live together.

I bought all my fish from a store so I could see them in person and make sure they were eating and healthy. Otherwise LiveAquaria would be best for the 2 week guarantee. Almost all local stores can order you what you want and they will get it in with their usual shipment. So you could get something they don't usually have and not have to pay for shipping. They also will usually hold the fish for a while to make sure its eating and healthy before selling it to you.

I think thats what im going to do. Id rather see the fish before I buy them. Thats good to know. I wish there were more lfs around though. I would love some more variety.

In my experiences all Pseudochromis can be mean lil bastards and so can Royal Gammas. Glad to hear he had success with them in a smaller reef, but i would say thats the exception. I love Yasha G. there so cool but jumpers like most fish. What are your plans for stopping your fisg from going carpet/tile surfing.

Sounds like you just suck Zia. Looks like Scorched and Pat had luck with them lol. :P. Idk yet about the lid. I guess ill just have to do one of those diy screen mesh tops.

Anyone have experience with these little guys? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+134&pcatid=134

To big for our tanks?

No, those have a nasty temperament, devils. They will stress your other fish and give them a guarantee case of the ich

I think thats what im going to do. Id rather see the fish before I buy them. Thats good to know. I wish there were more lfs around though. I would love some more variety.

Sounds like you just suck Zia. Looks like Scorched and Pat had luck with them lol. :P. Idk yet about the lid. I guess ill just have to do one of those diy screen mesh tops.

Anyone have experience with these little guys? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+134&pcatid=134

To big for our tanks?

I wouldnt call mine a great success. Any fish I tried to add after the psuedo was in the tank was bullied and killed. The clown and blenny had territory and dominance so they all get along now. But the pseudos are assholes. They need to be the last fish. A royal gramma is going to be territorial as well but not nearly as bad.

I also would not add any damsels. They are usually more aggressive than pseudos. Cheap blue fish but they are not worth the trouble. If all you wanted were damsels you could make it work, but you'll get sick of them pretty fast.

ArabTanker

No, those have a nasty temperament, devils. They will stress your other fish and give them a guarantee case of the ich

I also would not add any damsels. They are usually more aggressive than pseudos. Cheap blue fish but they are not worth the trouble. If all you wanted were damsels you could make it work, but you'll get sick of them pretty fast.

Really? I read that these are a very calm type of damsels. Good for beginners and community tanks.

I wouldnt call mine a great success. Any fish I tried to add after the psuedo was in the tank was bullied and killed. The clown and blenny had territory and dominance so they all get along now. But the pseudos are assholes. They need to be the last fish. A royal gramma is going to be territorial as well but not nearly as bad.

I stand corrected. I'll keep that in mind.

Jackal_Knight

Yellow tail damsel I have one in my 3 gallon right now. Beautiful fish, i heard they can be aggressive with other fish but i wouldn't know since he is by him self

ArabTanker

Yellow tail damsel I have one in my 3 gallon right now. Beautiful fish, i heard they can be aggressive with other fish but i wouldn't know since he is by him self

3 gallons is tiny dude.

Hows your build coming along?

Jackal_Knight

Yeah i know im gonna put him in the 11.4 when its done. Builds almost done i just have too fill it up when i have time

ArabTanker

Yeah i know im gonna put him in the 11.4 when its done. Builds almost done i just have too fill it up when i have time

Looking forward to it. I had the same issue. I just waited for a time where I felt like filling it up. Then I was like 'wtf. Just fill it up' to myself. And Im glad we... I had that conversation.

----

Well. While staring at my tank, I mean, studying for finals, I started to think I have too much LR in there. What do you guys think?

Umm yes, i mentioned that early on. Less is more in a tank that size. Your corals will fll in the blanks. You would need that much rock if you didnt have sump. But you have plenty of filtration down there.

ArabTanker

Umm yes, i mentioned that early on. Less is more in a tank that size. Your corals will fll in the blanks. You would need that much rock if you didnt have sump. But you have plenty of filtration down there.

You're right. I'll see what I could do later on tonight.

Jackal_Knight

Lol i think its all personal preference, like most things in this hobby. if you dont like it, right now would be a great time to move rock around sincr u dont have much live stock in there

ArabTanker

I just grabbed a few of the bigger chunks of rock and threw them into the sump. This is how it looks now.

IMAG0677.jpg

Not really sure how I want to scape it. I might break one of the chunks into rubble. I really don't have a vision for it though.

When does coralline start to take off? This algae is making me angry.

Archived