ReefCleaners.org

ArabTanker's Next Chapter - Photo Dump On Every Page

ArabTanker

I am sure he will perk up. Just give him sometime!

I doubt it but ill give him some time. I just dont want him to suffer.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see some bubble algae too... PICK THAT OFF THE ROCKS! :furious:

I dont mind bubble algae. If it dies it dies. If it grows it grows. So long as it doesn't become invasive.

My mistake was trying to remove a few spots of bubble algae. Once small mistake and pop ... now it's invasive.

If the fish is eating he should be ok, let him heal up.

My mistake was trying to remove a few spots of bubble algae. Once small mistake and pop ... now it's invasive.

If the fish is eating he should be ok, let him heal up.

Yep. First time I tried removing some it popped. Then I was like forget it. Doesn't look half bad anyway.

Its not. Its also not responsive to being touched.

This suckkkkssss.

FishBrawler

I dont mind bubble algae. If it dies it dies. If it grows it grows. So long as it doesn't become invasive.

Don't let it get started! take it out now. I dried out my rocks because you can never get it all. Save yourself the trouble!

Don't let it get started! take it out now. I dried out my rocks because you can never get it all. Save yourself the trouble!

Dude. Its not a big deal lol. Tank still looks great. And its a good indication on how things are. I dont test my water normally. So it helps more than it harms.

IMG_20130730_151718.jpg

RIP Fishy.

Im glad you finally started to come out your cave. Sorry you had to go because of my mistake. You were and always will be my first marine fish. And for that, I thank you. Enjoy fishy heaven. :flower:

Found some pretty big pods in my tank. Should I be worried? Heres a picture of one.

tss_1375202911_5.jpeg

Went to the lfs today. They had some pistol shrimp. If they have some ywgs tomorrow i'll probably pick up a pair.

Hey now you can get a mandarin.

• 2 weeks later...
DRLOVEtoreef

uggh, I hate bubble algae ... that crap can go from being cool looking to everywhere in a matter of weeks ... one option is to consider adding a couple emerald crabs ... they will help to keep it in check ...

Update?!?

I finished my math class!

Oh... The tank... Uh... All is still good lol. Im kinda just watching things fill in and get settled. Still waiting on my stoopid lfs to get a pair. They always do this to me.

uggh, I hate bubble algae ... that crap can go from being cool looking to everywhere in a matter of weeks ... one option is to consider adding a couple emerald crabs ... they will help to keep it in check ...

Ill keep that in mind. Thank you, good sir.

Quick opinion needed. Should I go pick up a Yellow Watchmen Goby right now or wait to introduce a pistol shrimp with it at the same time? Will it make a difference?

Quick opinion needed. Should I go pick up a Yellow Watchmen Goby right now or wait to introduce a pistol shrimp with it at the same time? Will it make a difference?

It does make a difference! Don't! One can become territorial and kill the other. It is best to just find a pair already together!

I've never heard of one killing the other, but I have heard of them not pairing up. Introducing them at the same time in the same spot helps immensely.

I've had a shrimp goby eat a pistol shrimp once but that was because the shrimp was vastly smaller than the goby. Literally bite size for a 1.5" hi fin goby. My mistake was floating them in the same container. Other than that I've never heard of them being aggressive toward each other either.

Check these guys out.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/IMAG1041.jpg.html'>IMAG1041.jpg

I've never seen a paired couple of pistol shrimp but hey, I got some. Haha. Anyone have luck getting a pair of shrimp to pair (triple?) up with a goby? My lfs will get the goby on sunday so I plan on keeping the shrimp in a small container till then so I can introduce them all together.

Can I get an id on this?

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/IMAG1042.jpg.html'>IMAG1042.jpg

and this soft purple thing

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/IMAG1043.jpg.html'>IMAG1043.jpg

I got some nice new goodies today. :)

BattleAthletics

Found some pretty big pods in my tank. Should I be worried? Heres a picture of one.

tss_1375202911_5.jpeg

Went to the lfs today. They had some pistol shrimp. If they have some ywgs tomorrow i'll probably pick up a pair.

THATS A GALACTIC POD NOT FROM HERE

That little guy inside the shell looks like a Chiton. All of the Chitons I have seen in my tank have been harmless algae eaters. I can't speak for all of them though.

Mike

From this angle the purple thing looks like some pretty cool sponge.

Hard to say with the angle, but either a chiton or limpet. Purple thing looks like a mushroom to me.

Second picture didnt load. Maybe the purple thing isn't a mushroom since I can't see it. :P

That little guy inside the shell looks like a Chiton. All of the Chitons I have seen in my tank have been harmless algae eaters. I can't speak for all of them though.

Mike

From this angle the purple thing looks like some pretty cool sponge.

Hard to say with the angle, but either a chiton or limpet. Purple thing looks like a mushroom to me.

Second picture didnt load. Maybe the purple thing isn't a mushroom since I can't see it. :P

Thats good to hear. I was starting to panic a little because I left it in a corner waiting for someone to help but I was abandoned. And now I cant find it.

Thanks though!

Hopefully tomorrow my lfs will have my ywg as promised and I could get out of work soon enough to pick it up.

I think you will be happy to know that the tank I was severely neglecting and wanting to sell is now on the other side of my bedroom, sans sand, with 100% new water, scape, and the few corals left that didn't die are in a holding tank right now. A reefcleaners order is needed since I'm literally down to one algae eating snail. Oh yeah, wp25 is on its way also.

I think you will be happy to know that the tank I was severely neglecting and wanting to sell is now on the other side of my bedroom, sans sand, with 100% new water, scape, and the few corals left that didn't die are in a holding tank right now. A reefcleaners order is needed since I'm literally down to one algae eating snail. Oh yeah, wp25 is on its way also.

Sweet. Looking forward to updates.

PS: You're the one that pushed me to get a MP10. Now you're getting a WP25? Lol.

Well guys. I have some news. I've been talking about getting a shrimp/goby pair for a while now. I bought a pair of two pistol shrimp from a good friend/vendor that were caught off the coast of FL. I kept them in my sump for a week and a half while I waited for one of my lfs to get a shrimp goby I wanted. I got an Aurora Goby. After acclimating the goby I put it into a small tank with the two shrimp so they could get familiar. The Goby was still a little sluggish from transportation and acclimation but the shrimp were very gentle with it. They approached it slowly and they looked like they were getting along.

A few days prior I picked some rubble from my sump and DT and glued them together into a small cave formation and put it in a nice location in my DT. I was hoping the shrimp and goby would host this area - and they did... for a while. I left the house for work that evening and when I came back the goby was by itself under another rock while the shrimp were still where I had left them. Nonetheless the next day I got the goby to enter the cave again. The shrimp weren't too kind. Lefty, the bigger shrimp of the pair, bit at the goby until it left the cave. Righty, the smaller one, seemed fine with the goby, however. At one point Lefty had the goby's whole body between its claws.

During this whole experience I've went to AFellowReefer for advice. He has been a great help and taught me a lot. I sent him a photo of the shrimp with hopes that he could tell me whats going on.

Photo:

IMAG1063.jpg

I believe I have made a match- Alpheus polystictus or "white-speckled anemone snapping shrimp"

This species is not very common in the aquarium trade, so it is pretty amazing that you don't only have one, but a mated pair. This species actually forms a symbiotic relationship with sea anemones. They will dig a burrow at the base of the anemone or will live amongst the tentacles of the anemone. This implies that they will NOT form a symbiotic relationship with your goby, as they prefer anemones instead. Also, they are territorial and will defend that territory when they feel threatened.

Be aware- This species is rarely ever sold in the aquarium trade, so there is not much experience on this shrimp. Additionally, few scientific researches have been done on this species. So you essentially are pioneering the care for this species (congrats!) What I am trying to say is the shrimp may or may not pair with the goby (I assume it will not, but nothing is definite,) it may be a predator, but it may not be. The aggression you were seeing between the shrimp and goby was most likely due to the goby infringing in their territory. If you ever decide to get an anemone, according from what I have read, they will pair with the corkscrew anemone (Bartholomea annulata.) Because you are winging it, you will have limited resources (although I'm always happy to help you when you need it ) You will have to make judgments based on your observations on this species and make decisions from there.

Here is the species- There are also similar looking shrimp (A. armatus, A. immaculatus, and A. roguensis)

320589786_9fa2097dde.jpg

So... All in all... I'm not sure if I will ever have a shrimp/goby pair... But I have something not many people - if any - have.

Jackal_Knight

Cool shrimp pair, hopefully they will pair up with the goby.

How you liking that mp10 (any noise) been thinking of getting one but im gonna get a aquarium controller first. I kinda want the apex lite but, im mostly likely gonna get a reefkeeper elite titanium cuz of the price.

Archived