SaltCritters.com

UWWMatt's ADA 60-H

uwwmatt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Originally I had thought to just copy the ADA design, and still might, but I wanted to try and come up with something that would accommodate a little larger sump.

8573852934_9c5fa0a396.jpg

As for the sump, I currently have a 10G sump sitting around in my basement from an old build.

6-2.jpg

The other idea I have been playing around with is to make a new sump out of a 17G Mr Aqua. The stand plans above were designed with that in mind.

A little side note, when I was going through my old images looking for a picture of the sump above I came across the plans for my first disastrous sump build attempt that ended in catastrophic tank failure. As a warning to any would-be sump builders out there, never use plexiglass baffles for a glass tank.

I like the design, but would that be sturdy enough?

I think so. I thought I could add some metal gussets on the inside. Then add I soild wood back. I looked at it in the store and it felt pretty strong. I jumped on it and nothing happened lol

Well I've sent my stand plans of to be built. In the meantime I've gotten the materials for creating a partial rockwall. My goal will be to integrate the overflow, return, and MP10 into a removable rockwall.

I'll be using AquaticEngineers method. He's created some of the better rockwork i've seen. Here is a picture from his build.

temporary_zps5b1f5cdf.jpg

Link to his thread http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313314-california-biotope-wall-mounted-tank-w-chill-solutions-csxc-1-chiller/

• Like 1

looking good guy.cant wait to see more.Here is a foam rock wall i made and never got to use :{ it was built so could remove also.

.I made two areas that koralia pwerheads were gonna go in and you can see in center the teeth cut in top rock.That was gonna be my filter area.The built in filter setup was built like a bigger version of current subcurrent.The was all done on acrylic sheet and was held to back glass my large Magnets and the koralia magnets.

100_0619.jpg

• Like 1

Well I've sent my stand plans of to be built. In the meantime I've gotten the materials for creating a partial rockwall. My goal will be to integrate the overflow, return, and MP10 into a removable rockwall.

8601984246_25809b70ec_z.jpg

I'll be using AquaticEngineers method. He's created some of the better rockwork i've seen. Here is a picture from his build.

temporary_zps5b1f5cdf.jpg

Link to his thread http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313314-california-biotope-wall-mounted-tank-w-chill-solutions-csxc-1-chiller/

Awesome, can't wait to see this! :D

I'm kinda bummed I never used the rockwall I built back in 09' :(

SDC11140-1.jpg

• Like 1
looking good guy.cant wait to see more.Here is a foam rock wall i made and never got to use :{ it was built so could remove also.
That's very similar to the route I want to take, although my plan is to have it wrap around the sides a little, and not cover the entire back. I was thinking I'd buy some of those super strong magnets. How did you protect the magnets so they wouldn't rust? Any advice you can give me on the process? Also, why'd you scrap the build?
Awesome, can't wait to see this! :DI'm kinda bummed I never used the rockwall I built back in 09' :(
How come you didn't/couldn't use it?

Sounds good man. Can't wait to see that stand. I didn't go with the diy ada for my build.
Did you get that target stand?

The tank when built had one bad seem from bad glass cutting so gave up. I had some earth magnets I was gonna coat. There was a thread somewhere how to do it. Ill look for it

• Like 1

The tank when built had one bad seem from bad glass cutting so gave up. I had some earth magnets I was gonna coat. There was a thread somewhere how to do it. Ill look for it

That sucks.

That would be great if you could find that thread. I was just thinking of coating them in epoxy.

What size magnets did you use?

I'm wondering if these would be strong enough or if I would have to go larger.

http://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Magnets-inch-Disc-N48/dp/B001KUURP2/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1364656202&sr=1-4&keywords=1/2+in+by+1/4+magnet

Mine were bigger than that.I got mine from a science surplus store in milwaukee.Well worth checking out if get to milwaukee.They had a bunch.

Just a project that got pushed aside, I hope to make another someday. I think a rock wall done right looks incredible.

Wish I could remember where I saw this one tank that was rock wall on all 3 sides and looked like a cave it was one of the most incredible tanks I've ever seen.