Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Custom PicO

Mstefa1

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about the loss of Teddy Bear.

lol the kids hamster

I guess i need to better consider what's in the background.

lol the kids hamster

I guess i need to better consider what's in the background.

Haha sorry to be that guy.

The cable routing makes it look so much cleaner. Nice work on mounting that light.

Haha sorry to be that guy.

The cable routing makes it look so much cleaner. Nice work on mounting that light.

Thank you, appreciate your kind words.

The hamster was talked into by my daughter when I was at my favorite frag place. It was an old hamster that was turned in by someone so it only lived a few months for us.

Thank you, appreciate your kind words.

The hamster was talked into by my daughter when I was at my favorite frag place. It was an old hamster that was turned in by someone so it only lived a few months for us.

Are the first two words some kind of Hamster incantation? I can't seem to decipher them, haha.

What's the name of that thing you used to hide the cable?

It's a cable wrap. It looks like a long tube but is cut in a spiral manner so that you can be slipped over the cable. Heat shrink tubing wouldn't work because of the big think at the end of the power cord. I got it from Radio Shack for $7 and it comes in 10" sections. My house is a disaster but if I find the package I'll post the name.

The reason why I say pain in the a( | ) is that all I ever read is ramp this ramp that .literaly do you have to set each and every single ramp time? That would drive me insane. Thats all nothing againts the lights they look koo but "jesus" to much work.

The reason why I say pain in the a( | ) is that all I ever read is ramp this ramp that .literaly do you have to set each and every single ramp time? That would drive me insane. Thats all nothing againts the lights they look koo but "jesus" to much work.

no u don't have to... People choose to.

Very clean. I like what you did with the cable to hide it. How are you liking the output so far. Hard without rocks and sand, but what about the features? That was my original choice before i went with the Razor.

I see... So is this your first of these lights? Why is it that every one gets them then a couple of months later they are on fs threads? They look koo thats fo sho.

Very clean. I like what you did with the cable to hide it. How are you liking the output so far. Hard without rocks and sand, but what about the features? That was my original choice before i went with the Razor.

Thank you. I think it looks nice as well and again I'm pleased that it doesn't move with air movement and it returns back to its normal alignment if it is disturbed.

I can't speak for the output yet. It looks dim shining on a black bottom but that is entirely deceiving. I've put a white bowl in the tank twice now and it lights up really, really bright. I just have nothing in their to illuminate yet. Again, my only real comparison was when I put it on my Aquapod 24g for just a second to test it out the day I got it. It was plenty bright for the tank, but not quite as bright visually as my 150w MH. That's not to say the intensity isn't there as I don't have a par meter. I'm just used to a lot of light. I mean a lot - so much that I cook most corals at the top of the tank including SPS.

I also considered the Razor when I got mine. First price, well obviously the razor is more. So much that even after I purchased the controller I was still in cheaper then the Razor. And I wanted a good controller because even if I "eventually" roll in here with an Apex I doubt I will be using a VDM to control my AI. Second, size... That razor is ultra thin but the footprint is gigantic! It would have taken the entire top of my tank. Now I realize that with it's power I can raise it up higher but depending on the optics on the LEDs I'd rather be illuminating the tank instead of the room. My Sunpod takes up most of the top of my Pod so I don't have the best top down view but the AI nano allows me to see everything from the surface. And third, I strongly considered innovation. Its is my opinion that AI strives to be a big player and wants their products to perform. You don't put 2 data ports on a light for no reason. Right now they have 2 controllers to choose from, but they also have a wireless adapter being released this month, not to mention a director being released early summer that will allow up to 6 lights to be accessed via internet or app. Can you imagine when I build my customer 40g in the future? I could drop 2 AI Sols on it for the price of 1 Radion.

Basically I ordered the nano after having 1 too many beers ordering my tank talking to Chris. If I did it again, I would probably order then Sol in black for 3 reasons. First it would be black and just go better overall with the slick black design of my tank. And second, because you can never have too much light. And finally, because my display is twice as long as it is wide so I could have the light at a lower height and still get the required spread and minimize the light that bleeds over.

I fully expect your Razor to output more light as it contains 26 LEDs compared to my 12. Personally I feel your Razor is grossly oversized for your 10g tank. The only pic I recall seeing your Razor on your tank is the latest where you were showing your new cover. Did you choose 10k or 16k? With 2 channels, I'm assuming you can control the level of blue that you want? What I like about AI is that you can control each color individually. So for my nano only having 3 colors, I can choose independent levels for RB, B, & CW.

I see... So is this your first of these lights? Why is it that every one gets them then a couple of months later they are on fs threads? They look koo thats fo sho.

It's my first. I don't know - I've never seen an abundance of those threads but I'm not on the classifieds that often. But when I am it is usually flooded by people selling MP10s. What's up with that? Probably because so many people have them! What light do you have over your tank?

Thank you. I think it looks nice as well and again I'm pleased that it doesn't move with air movement and it returns back to its normal alignment if it is disturbed.

I can't speak for the output yet. It looks dim shining on a black bottom but that is entirely deceiving. I've put a white bowl in the tank twice now and it lights up really, really bright. I just have nothing in their to illuminate yet. Again, my only real comparison was when I put it on my Aquapod 24g for just a second to test it out the day I got it. It was plenty bright for the tank, but not quite as bright visually as my 150w MH. That's not to say the intensity isn't there as I don't have a par meter. I'm just used to a lot of light. I mean a lot - so much that I cook most corals at the top of the tank including SPS.

I also considered the Razor when I got mine. First price, well obviously the razor is more. So much that even after I purchased the controller I was still in cheaper then the Razor. And I wanted a good controller because even if I "eventually" roll in here with an Apex I doubt I will be using a VDM to control my AI. Second, size... That razor is ultra thin but the footprint is gigantic! It would have taken the entire top of my tank. Now I realize that with it's power I can raise it up higher but depending on the optics on the LEDs I'd rather be illuminating the tank instead of the room. My Sunpod takes up most of the top of my Pod so I don't have the best top down view but the AI nano allows me to see everything from the surface. And third, I strongly considered innovation. Its is my opinion that AI strives to be a big player and wants their products to perform. You don't put 2 data ports on a light for no reason. Right now they have 2 controllers to choose from, but they also have a wireless adapter being released this month, not to mention a director being released early summer that will allow up to 6 lights to be accessed via internet or app. Can you imagine when I build my customer 40g in the future? I could drop 2 AI Sols on it for the price of 1 Radion.

Basically I ordered the nano after having 1 too many beers ordering my tank talking to Chris. If I did it again, I would probably order then Sol in black for 3 reasons. First it would be black and just go better overall with the slick black design of my tank. And second, because you can never have too much light. And finally, because my display is twice as long as it is wide so I could have the light at a lower height and still get the required spread and minimize the light that bleeds over.

I fully expect your Razor to output more light as it contains 26 LEDs compared to my 12. Personally I feel your Razor is grossly oversized for your 10g tank. The only pic I recall seeing your Razor on your tank is the latest where you were showing your new cover. Did you choose 10k or 16k? With 2 channels, I'm assuming you can control the level of blue that you want? What I like about AI is that you can control each color individually. So for my nano only having 3 colors, I can choose independent levels for RB, B, & CW.

It's my first. I don't know - I've never seen an abundance of those threads but I'm not on the classifieds that often. But when I am it is usually flooded by people selling MP10s. What's up with that? Probably because so many people have them! What light do you have over your tank?

I dIy since nano turners whent under . I have and edge & a spec also diy . Mp10's are over rated imo. I took my mp10 i had a sand storm and bare bottom on corners . Kessil's and Ai i see on home page im not really on fs forums but they pop up.

I dIy since nano turners whent under . I have and edge & a spec also diy . Mp10's are over rated imo. I took my mp10 i had a sand storm and bare bottom on corners . Kessil's and Ai i see on home page im not really on fs forums but they pop up.

I deeply considerer a Kessil but was worried about spread and color as the small one isn't dimmable.

Those lights are a pain in the a( | ) ...

I couldn't disagree more. With the controller and the new firmware it's so simple and so awesome. On mine, I just chose to mimic the Great Barrier Reef, set the maximum %'s and whalah. I did adjust the clock back 2 hours so I'd have more "day" time with my tank when I get home from work before the ramp down starts. I also set it to use the lunar cycle. I haven't turned on weather yet, and not sure if I will, but it's a pretty cool feature to have if I want to use it. This light is so simple it's crazy. For mine I had to do a custom mount too, but once you get past the mounting, boy it's a great light.

Ok, here is my final photo dump before I drain the tap water and get it ready for saltwater early next week. I pulled out the DSLR so these should be better than my phone pics. Please excuse the mess and the junk in the bottom of the tank. I forgot about the little bit of drywall that made it to the bottom from mounting the light.

Thank you to Pico Aquariums for building me an awesome tank.

Enjoy!

DSC03711_zpsea03586c.jpg

DSC03703_zps89f3bfd4.jpg

DSC03705_zps57103714.jpg

DSC03720_zps00dadaf8.jpg

DSC03721_zpsb4a285a9.jpg

DSC03722_zpsce8cf5d5.jpg

DSC03728_zps60c681b9.jpg

Well it doesn't seem like a drunk decision to me! :P Seems you've planned it through. I like the fact that mine takes up nearly the dimensions of my tank! It's like an extremely thin floating canopy. But you're 100% right, it's VERY overpowered for my needs for the small volume of my tank ~10g. With the Razor, you can control two channels. A and B. Channel A consists of Warn White, Cool White, and a few RB, and Channel B which has Blue, Royal Blue and Super Actinic 410-420nm. Bit of a bummer you can't control them individually, but I like the fact that they will later release replacable "LED Pads" if you ever decide to change up the spectrum. I went with 16k and don't think i'll be doing any replacements :)

I like the nano. I wish it came in black too! Maybe they will do something in the future, but my money is on an updated "Vega Nano" in the next few years.

I really like the controllability of the AI products, and kind of wish mine has cloud cover. Lightning storms though? Meh.

I think it's a great choice for a tank your size, plus you can have great viewability from the top of the tank, where I would either have to raise mine (light spill) or move it out of the way for pics.

WOW! The pics are great!

I think the weather patterns are more of a "gimmick" if you ask me too.. lol But it's only a matter of programming as I doubt it took a hardware change to set it up. With the director coming out connected to the internet, you can configure your tank to match the real time weather in your area. Again, more of a gimmick but some people really eat that stuff up. Where is IIX?

Matt, I also went with the AI Nano for similar reasons. While I haven't started cycling yet, I have confidence in AI as a company. The *options* that an AI Nano provides were the deal maker for me: Upgradeable LED Pucks, Wireless Adapter, two first-party physical Controllers, and the upcoming Director. I can also see myself using the light for future products *and* it seems to hold its value really well.

I also looked very hard at Kessil: while I loved the mounting options, not being dimmable was a deal breaker. And the newly announced dimmable Kessil is (imo) overpriced.

I think the weather patterns are more of a "gimmick" if you ask me too.. lol But it's only a matter of programming as I doubt it took a hardware change to set it up. With the director coming out connected to the internet, you can configure your tank to match the real time weather in your area. Again, more of a gimmick but some people really eat that stuff up. Where is IIX?

LOL. He eats it up alright. I think the thing I like the most is Sunrise/Sunset (Dawn/Dusk) or whatever you want to call it Gives it a more "natural" feeling instead of BAM! Lights out. :lol:

I can't wait to see the Director. It's gonna be sick.

LOL. He eats it up alright. I think the thing I like the most is Sunrise/Sunset (Dawn/Dusk) or whatever you want to call it Gives it a more "natural" feeling instead of BAM! Lights out. :lol:

I can't wait to see the Director. It's gonna be sick.

+1

I emailed them a couple weeks ago and just got the obligatory "It's not available yet" answer. Hopefully it won't be too much longer, but who knows. The dusk/dawn is really cool too with the critters. It's fun to watch the behavioral changes as the lights slowly dim. I think it's a lot less of a shock/stress on the inhabitants.

In my test DIY led setups with meanwell drivers I always had problems with the light flickering s/u, s/d, controlling other channels. Once it's running or in mid dim it is fine but It would often flicker on me at certain points. To it's defense I didn't research the cause or solution but I have seen other DIY setups on here where people complained about the flicker. I did not want the flicker on my tank.

Does anybody know if the director still requires the controller? I'm thinking no... I think the director requires the wireless adapter and that is it. So if that is the truth I bet you will see several controllers here for sale soon ;) I would probably sell mine.

Again, thank you all for following my thread.

Does anybody know if the director still requires the controller? I'm thinking no... I think the director requires the wireless adapter and that is it. So if that is the truth I bet you will see several controllers here for sale soon ;) I would probably sell mine.

Again, thank you all for following my thread.

I'm pretty sure you are correct. From what I've read you will just need the wireless adapter for your nano. How will you plan to control everything? Smartphone, tablet, notebook, desktop? Or ALL OF THEM?! Mwahahaha

Archived