ReefCleaners.org

My Custom PicO

Mstefa1

I'm pretty sure you are correct. From what I've read you will just need the wireless adapter for your nano. How will you plan to control everything? Smartphone, tablet, notebook, desktop? Or ALL OF THEM?! Mwahahaha

Android on my phone.

Also have a laptop next to my couch. When that croaks I'll replace it with an ultra book. tablets are great on the go, just not idea for lots of typing. Gave my daughter my sexy desktop and bough her a 21" LCD. lol larger than I ever had! Makes my 17" CRT look like crap.

Had I looked into this further I may have skipped the controller from the beginning because it will probably be summer before I'm really well stocked anyway.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Android on my phone.

Also have a laptop next to my couch. When that croaks I'll replace it with an ultra book. tablets are great on the go, just not idea for lots of typing. Gave my daughter my sexy desktop and bough her a 21" LCD. lol larger than I ever had! Makes my 17" CRT look like crap.

Had I looked into this further I may have skipped the controller from the beginning because it will probably be summer before I'm really well stocked anyway.

Ah I love technology!

Good thing is, when they have a release date you can always sell it off, (hopefully) before everyone else does and not take a huge loss. Ooooh Ulrabook, sounds fancy B)

I scored big today. Every large bin was stocked with fresh live rock so i had my pick of the best.

Unfortunately it's hard to judge the amount of rock or what it will look like in my tank. Hopefully i got enough for my frag tank. :)

I scored big today. Every large bin was stocked with fresh live rock so i had my pick of the best.

Unfortunately it's hard to judge the amount of rock or what it will look like in my tank. Hopefully i got enough for my frag tank. :)

Awesome! What type did you get?

Awesome! What type did you get?

Labeled as Tukani / Totoka. I got 13 lbs @ $5.99 / lb plus I got my 10% DVRC discount on my entire order. 13 lbs is way too much however this allows me too pick exactly what I want in my tank and the rest goes in the frag tank. It's hard to decided on pieces when your standing over a giant bin. I suspect I'll probably on need 10 lbs or so but then again my overflow takes up 4" of my width. The place is over an hour away and with the snow storm and all the accidents it took almost 90 minutes each way with road closures from accidents. Plus we stopped at 5 Guys Burgers & Fries on the way down and Mc Donald's for milk shakes on the way back. I wanted to make sure I had the exact rock I wanted and didn't want to risk coming home with not enough or the wrong shaped pieces so spending an extra $25 or so was the choice I planned to make to ensure I brought home a great selection.

Check out this awesomeness!

20130318_222534_zpsdc4f353c.jpg

I put in live sand and I'm waiting for that to settle. I put in all the live rock being very careful not to scratch the glass. After the sand settles a bit I'm going to fire up my pumps. There won't be any aquascaping tonight. After all, I just got done four 14 hour shifts and have been up 26 hours already. ;)

That's some really great looking LR

Thank you. If I have way too much I may have to upgrade my intended 5.5g frag tank to a 10g. lol Don't think wifey will be pleased about that! Oh well, that is going in the basement. I'm so glad I didn't settle for what was available last week and waited for their shipment to come in.

supermarvin76

Labeled as Tukani / Totoka. I got 13 lbs @ $5.99 / lb plus I got my 10% DVRC discount on my entire order. 13 lbs is way too much however this allows me too pick exactly what I want in my tank and the rest goes in the frag tank. It's hard to decided on pieces when your standing over a giant bin. I suspect I'll probably on need 10 lbs or so but then again my overflow takes up 4" of my width. The place is over an hour away and with the snow storm and all the accidents it took almost 90 minutes each way with road closures from accidents. Plus we stopped at 5 Guys Burgers & Fries on the way down and Mc Donald's for milk shakes on the way back. I wanted to make sure I had the exact rock I wanted and didn't want to risk coming home with not enough or the wrong shaped pieces so spending an extra $25 or so was the choice I planned to make to ensure I brought home a great selection.

Check out this awesomeness!

20130318_222534_zpsdc4f353c.jpg

I put in live sand and I'm waiting for that to settle. I put in all the live rock being very careful not to scratch the glass. After the sand settles a bit I'm going to fire up my pumps. There won't be any aquascaping tonight. After all, I just got done four 14 hour shifts and have been up 26 hours already. ;)

Letting the sand settle before turning the pumps on...... Not a bad idea. I think I'll try that same thing later this week.

Did you add the water first, or the sand?

Great looking rock. And I love me some 5 Guys Burgers & Fries too!

FishBrawler

Letting the sand settle before turning the pumps on...... Not a bad idea. I think I'll try that same thing later this week. Did you add the water first, or the sand?Great looking rock. And I love me some 5 Guys Burgers & Fries too!

You guys should rinse your sand first if you don't want to wait!

You guys should rinse your sand first if you don't want to wait!

It's live sand so I had no intention on rinsing it. Besides, no problem waiting. :)

Letting the sand settle before turning the pumps on...... Not a bad idea. I think I'll try that same thing later this week. Did you add the water first, or the sand? Great looking rock. And I love me some 5 Guys Burgers & Fries too!

I did this intentionally to protect my pumps. I've seen another thread on here recently where someone was complaining that there pumps were making noise... Even though I'm heavy on the floss in my overflows there's no need to subject my pumps to more abuse than required.

BTW, my pumps generate an awesome amount of flow!

OK, so woke up this morning and the tank is crystal clear... Well the glass needs to be cleaned but no more sand storm. Actually it was great having the sand storm because I was able to watch the flow of the sand. Even though I haven't completed my scape yet it's nice to see that I'm getting excellent flow everywhere in my tank.

I thought I'd dump some pics for you this morning. This is NOT my scape, just me dropping all the rock in my tank. I plan on thinning it out a little. Actually it doesn't look like I purchased way too much, probably close to the right amount when I cherry pick the pieces for my scape and toss the rest in a new frag tank. I was just paranoid last night that I'd scratch my glass not being able to see inside my tank.

20130319_111051_zps5f095c48.jpg

Note, I moved the drawing of Teddy Bear hamster from my fridge so I don't have to blur out my last name. lol

20130319_111108_zpsbd2de8fd.jpg

20130319_111140_zps5b60a337.jpg

20130319_111158_zps920c35d6.jpg

I'm not feeling well this morning. I still have that lingering unusual headache that started last night so I don't have the desire to get too involved with my tank. Couple that with the fact that I need to do some work to my old tank so I may not even complete my scape today because it won't be my best if I'm not feeling well. At least everything is wet in the tank.

My rock is loaded with examples like my first pic where you can easily make out coral skeleton shapes. Cheers to cool hitchhikers!

Nice clean look on this build. I like what you did with the light!

Thank you. As I found out last night, I can easily raise the level of the light to work on my tank and return it to it's previous level with no issues at all. The hanging cable can adjust at the roof or at the light so I just pulled the cable at the light and moved it up a foot out of the way last night when I dropped the rock in. I just need to be careful that I don't hit the fan on the AI.

I could have also did the same thing getting on a chair and moving the cable on the ceiling but then I wouldn't know the exact level to return it to unless I measured.

Also, I was saddened that BRS was having 10% off St Patty's day sale yesterday and I didn't get my order in because I was too tired. I knew it was after midnight and the sale was ending any minute but I figured I'd have to deal with it so I just couldn't stay awake longer.

That scape is ####in cool dude! It looks like an entrance to a fortress. ...atlantis maybe lol

LOL, thanks. Actually it's just a rock pile that I tossed in during the sandstorm. But when I look closely it does look cool.

Also, I was saddened that BRS was having 10% off St Patty's day sale yesterday and I didn't get my order in because I was too tired. I knew it was after midnight and the sale was ending any minute but I figured I'd have to deal with it so I just couldn't stay awake longer.

LOL, thanks. Actually it's just a rock pile that I tossed in during the sandstorm. But when I look closely it does look cool.

Oh I feel dumb now lol...

So apparently I haven't played with my tank enough yet because I discovered something new when I was changing out the sand congested floss. It appears that my tank also has the innovative adjustable baffle to change the water level so I thought that was pretty cool. In theory, this allows me to lower the placement of my ATO sensors however if I have the baffle adjusted too high then I can hear water movement when the tank was previously silent. I'll have to dial them back in when I get my scape done.

I was going nuts this morning looking for leaks because I thought I had put enough water in to bring it up to my sensor height and when I checked it this morning the level was lower so I wondered where the water went. It couldn't have evaporated that fast as my ATO is turned off! Apparently I moved one of the baffles last night and didn't realize it. LOL

Thought I made this post but I don't see it so WTH? Oh well, I type it again.

Finally found a use for my API saltwater master test kit so I guess I didn't waste $30 a long time ago. lol

On the right is the control... A sample tested from my Aquapod.

On the left is a sample just tested from my PicO. We have ammonia people!

20130319_161846_zps25d546c0.jpg

Since I had plenty of awesome rock to choose from, it didn't take me long to make an appealing aquascape. I started with about 13.5 lbs of live rock and used all but 1 piece, so I estimate I have used about 12.75 lbs... given that this was live rock and not dry base rock. The remaining pieces is currently in my basement for my upcoming frag tank. ;) None of it is epoxied together so I can easily rearrange if I change my mind.

My only concern is height... As in I need to evaluate if the scape is too high depending on the corals that I plan on keeping. I guess I'll figure that out along the way. If so, there is a small pieces at the top that I can also remove.

20130319_185009_zps73fa871e.jpg

What do you think??? Theses caves have pistol & goby written all over them!

And here is a FTS. We are back to cell phone pics so bare with me please.

20130319_184925_zps3d93700e.jpg

Caves in the 'scape are NUTS!

Also, I am digging the new Banana.

lol, my wife loves my banana too!

You can barely see the sponge bob mugs. lol But you can't see the princess mugs or the star trek cups. lol

Archived