Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Custom PicO

Mstefa1

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant wait for the aquascape to take place .im going to be redoing my 375 and im looking for new ideas:)

I'm always worried about doing scapes. I'm never happy. lol

I'm always worried about doing scapes. I'm never happy. lol

Fior the time I spent on mine, I am still not 100% happy. My problem is I like too many different things, so no matter which I choose, I always want what i didn't choose!

Just remember that it will be covered with corals anyways ;) It's really just a filter and base...

[quote name="JDH" post="4240317"

Just remember that it will be covered with corals anyways ;) It's really just a filter and base...true I had a friend remove rock from his 500 since he wanted his sps to grow in better.

My 1.5g ATO reservoir. I stole it from my Aquapod and upgraded that one to a 4g. It's my belief that evaporation will be far less since I'm running LEDs but I could be mistaken. lol

20130312_150521_zps2c5e4b5c.jpg

Fior the time I spent on mine, I am still not 100% happy. My problem is I like too many different things, so no matter which I choose, I always want what i didn't choose!

Just remember that it will be covered with corals anyways ;) It's really just a filter and base...

true I had a friend remove rock from his 500 since he wanted his sps to grow in better.

And I plan on running a little less rock than usual but not is little ad JDH.

And here is measuring to hang my light. Basically just a screw tied to a thread which is small enough not to break the glass if it falls. lol. I need the wife to confirm she is happy with the exact placement of the stand before I drill holes. lol I'm not worried about being off 1/4" but anything more and I won't be happy.

20130312_150543_zps199bbe8d.jpg

Im runnIng leds on both my picos and i still get evaporation.

How much / week? On my pod I evaporate probably 4g / week. I expect evaporation which is why I have the ATO in the first place. :) I just want to size the container to about a week.

Is that a cell charger?

Nope - power for the Tunze.

How much / week? On my pod I evaporate probably 4g / week. I expect evaporation which is why I have the ATO in the first place. :) I just want to size the container to about a week.

Nope - power for the Tunze.

Evap is 1gallon between an Edge & Spec every three days no fans runnin just open circle on Spec and regular open toP on Edge its drilled tho; sumP

I have a smidge over 1 gallon evap every 7 days. As you know i run LED's so I think your estimates are pretty close. My ambient room temp is always pretty solid around 72 Degrees F, and my heater barely turns on. Tank always stays solid 80.

That's a big difference between 4g and 1g of evaporation. I know we are comparing apples to oranges however both my tanks will be open top so I think the major difference will be between LEDs and MH. In any event, it's a good place to start.

Wifey decided to go out for a haircut so she forfeited her opinion.

Work in progress...

LOL.

Are you only doing one hanging string?

All these gorgeous pico tanks. I should have waited a couple more months and been in on the party. Humph. Maybe next year when he opens up shop.

Everything looks awesome dude!

you are a brave man :P

LOL.

Are you only doing one hanging string?

Inquiry? Why?

This tore me up for a few weeks. I originally planned on 2 because I was concerned with movement however the official AI nano hanging kit only includes 1 line.

I'm very concerned with movement now. As I said above, I originally planned on using 2 lines but the AI nano hanging kit ships with 1 so I figured 1 would suffice. But now I'm concerned that every time there will be air movement that the light would sway. I have previously verified that I can adjust the setup so that even if it would sway or spin, it would revert back to it's previous position.

20130312_165320_zpsbd796b3b.jpg

Also, the plan was to run the wires up to the ceiling however I've just tested this out and I kind of like the wires going straight to the back wall. I can do either so it doesn't matter... But what are your thoughts on this? I've also discovered that regardless of where the wires are they add stiffness which will also reduce the chance of movement which makes me happy.

Another important note is how high should I hang it? It is currently 8" above the water line but I'm concerned it is too high. Perhaps because I don't have any sand in or live rock that all the light is getting absorbed by the black mat under the tank so I'm not seeing it as bright as it really is.

Very very brave MAN! She is going to hang you with that same cord.

lol now I understand!

Also, the plan was to run the wires up to the ceiling however I've just tested this out and I kind of like the wires going straight to the back wall. I can do either so it doesn't matter... But what are your thoughts on this? I've also discovered that regardless of where the wires are they add stiffness which will also reduce the chance of movement which makes me happy. Another important note is how high should I hang it? It is currently 8" above the water line but I'm concerned it is too high. Perhaps because I don't have any sand in or live rock that all the light is getting absorbed by the black mat under the tank so I'm not seeing it as bright as it really is.Keep us posted wanna make sure when she gets to her casa(her house) you are still alive. lol now I understand!

Keep us posted wanna make sure when she gets to her casa(her house) you are still alive.

Keep us posted wanna make sure when she gets to her casa(her house) you are still alive.

lol

I don't think it looks too bad. I've decided to wait to mount the wires until I've got something in the tank because I'm not sure of the light height Once I mount the wires in raceways It's not that I'll be stuck with that height but it will make it harder to adjust. It's my assumption that the height depends on spread, not solely intensity so I should know when I have something in there. Right now I have the LEDs cranked max and it doesn't look too bright. But the spread looks good at 8" so I thought about lowering to 6"

20130312_172818_zpsbd4f3497.jpg

Ok, wifey just got home and I'd like to report back that she HATES it!

She thinks that the little square AI nano looks ugly. lol She didn't say anything about the mount. I know she wasn't a fan of hanging it but she accepts that. But she thinks the physical white square light is ugly. lol Now trust me, I hate the mount myself and I can't believe that AI doesn't have anything stylish. What you see is just their screw type setup connected to a bracket. I plan on fabricate something a little nicer in time but this should do for now.

Oh, and it's 6" above the water line now.

Floating canopy. Done. :P

I like it. Looks clean, especially in a kitchen. Matches the fridge. Women love things that match.

Floating canopy. Done. :P

I like it. Looks clean, especially in a kitchen. Matches the fridge. Women love things that match.

Your on to something there buddy. I might have to make a wood canopy to match the stand. ;)

Archived