Cultivated Reef

My Custom PicO

Mstefa1

It would look pretty sick i'm sure. You've seen Schreiba's right? SEXY FLOAT-I-NESS, not to mention, you could always throw things in there like supplimental LED's for color or whatever. :D

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can make you a mount that will mount on your tank clean stylish and free of charge pm info on light and ill email pics of aluminum mounts I have made.i could have my uncle powdercoat it white aswell at no charge

I can make you a mount that will mount on your tank clean stylish and free of charge pm info on light and ill email pics of aluminum mounts I have made.i could have my uncle powdercoat it white aswell at no charge

That's very generous of you. For now, I'd like to make or get a curved bracket so that I could eliminate the screws. That in my opinion would really dress it up

light_zpsab599ad4.jpg

It would look pretty sick i'm sure. You've seen Schreiba's right? SEXY FLOAT-I-NESS, not to mention, you could always throw things in there like supplimental LED's for color or whatever. :D

Well if I planned on this all I would have made my own DIY setup lol The whole reason I bought something off the shelf was so that the wife would be happy as it wouldn't look like something made in my basement. That's why I think it's Ironic that a $300 light she finds ugly.

I'd like to add that I put a white bowl in the bottom of the tank and it is very bright so my original thought that the black mat under the tank is absorbing the light. I just need something to shine some light like sand and rock.. :)

ultimate sps only

i see you took my advise on the ato that lil pump is a beast! your gunna love that light iver got my 8 gallon fully stocked now with fish sps and a new ultra scoly ill have to post some pics

i see you took my advise on the ato that lil pump is a beast! your gunna love that light iver got my 8 gallon fully stocked now with fish sps and a new ultra scoly ill have to post some pics

I'm sure I'll be fully happy with the light once I have something in there. :) The control of the LEDs is awesome. Have you seen the new AI director coming out in summer which connects he AI on the internet?

I've got the same ATO on my other tank so I knew what I was expecting already. It's just been a while since I set It up. I considered testing out another ATO but I figured I'd stick to what works.

Deleted User 4

That one wired hanging kit worries me. You can blame me for your wife's hate. :)

After all, I recall you saying you bought ai nano partially because me ha.

That one wired hanging kit worries me. You can blame me for your wife's hate. :)

After all, I recall you saying you bought ai nano partially because me ha.

Because of movement or what? I could probably hang on the cable and It wouldn't fall. Well not exactly but you understand. I designed the ceiling mount so I have about a half inch of left / right movement that has nothing to do with the cover plate. One of the screws goes into a stud and the other a ceiling drywall anchor so I'm not worried about it falling down. The wire goes through a hole in the ceiling so I can raise is up to get it out of the way to work on the tank with no issues. That's why I'm thinking of running the wires right up to the ceiling as originally planned.

The wires actually add stiffness so the light doesn't move with air movement. My only concern is the movement of the light, I have no fear of it falling. What are your concerns?

Ahhh you are alive and well. Hope sleeping on the couch didnt bother your back... Boy I would remmember those nights. At least 4 of the seven dogs would go with me so I wouldnt feel lonely;)

Just updated my AI nano controller to the latest firmware. It's pretty intuitive!

What's new with the firmware? More features?

fwiw my nano is 10" from the water line and i have it maxing out at 25-35-35, any more and things start to get pissed. Also take into account that my tank is only 9" tall.

Ahhh you are alive and well. Hope sleeping on the couch didnt bother your back... Boy I would remmember those nights. At least 4 of the seven dogs would go with me so I wouldnt feel lonely;)

LOL, that's funny because I usually sleep on the couch anyway. With working nights I have a nonstandard sleep schedule and with watching TV and stuff as well as not being home most lights with work my wife has difficultly sleeping when I'm in bed. She likes her $2k king bed all to herself (and the dog). I sleep up there when I get home from work. I love my couch though. My pussy cat who spends most of the day in the basement because of the dog comes up to see me as soon as the dog go to sleep I have a cat door in the basement door.

What's new with the firmware? More features?

I haven't played with the old or new too much but the interface is slicker and I think easier to navigate. Plus has more features. I don't believe the old firmware had weather patterns.

It's nice that you can upgrade the firmware and keep on evolving to support new hardware, etc. AI has a new director coming out that allows wifi access. Even if I go Apex, I will probably get the director and let AI control the lights. Then I could get the Apex jr and not worry about VDM, dimming, coding, etc.

fwiw my nano is 10" from the water line and i have it maxing out at 25-35-35, any more and things start to get pissed. Also take into account that my tank is only 9" tall.

Wow, that's very good to know. As I hypothesized, my tank doesn't look bright due to the black mat in the bottom. As soon as I get something in there it looks different. I put a white bowl in the bottom upside down and it looked great.

Do you find that the LEDs put out less visual light to the eye but more overall energy causing it too look dimmer? I compared it on my Aquapod @100% on all LEDs and it didn't look as bright as my 150w MH (not that they claim it is either).

As with most leds it can look really dim but still pump out tons and tons of par, i find this to be true especially with the light we have. I couldn't dream of getting anywhere near 100% without literally roasting everything in my tank.

I an also say that after you get the tank stocked with everything sand, rock, coral ect. it will be much brighter than it seems right now with an empty tank. I feel mine is pretty bright even at 25-35-35.

Do you use the acclimate function on your AI? I think that is pretty cool function. The only time I ever reduced the light in my other tank is when I transitioned from PC to MH. I appreciate you posting numbers so I have a nice place to start.

No problem man, i haven't used the acclimation yet because i just set the coral on a frag rack and move it up.

Here is my lighting schedule right now, its not perfect but so far my tank has been loving it.

Timer 1 0-4-4 8:00am w/30min ramp

Timer 2 2-7-7 9:30am w/30min ramp

Timer 3 13-20-20 10:30am w/30min ramp

Timer 4 23-30-30 11:30am w60min ramp

Timer 5 13-20-20 4:00pm w/90min ramp

Timer 6 2-7-7 8:00pm w/30 min ramp

Timer 7 0-4-4 8:30pm w/30min ramp

Timer 8 0-1-0 9:00pm w/10min ramp

I guess i only max out at 23-30-30 and i obviously prefer a whiter look so that can be changed as well.

OK, after several different ways of running the cables I came up with this... The light stays put and if I move it then it reverts back to it's original position.

20130313_165307_zps62f5f648.jpg

The plan was to run the wires to the ceiling but the wife didn't like that. I wanted to run them in heat shrink tubing but that giant thing at the end of the cable makes this almost impossible. The wife preferred when I just had the wires running behind the tank so this is what I came up with. I plan to get the wireless adapter when it becomes available so that would eliminate a cord and I may revisit running the cable to the ceiling. AI gives such long cables so I'm not limited by them.

OK, after several different ways of running the cables I came up with this... The light stays put and if I move it then it reverts back to it's original position.

20130313_165307_zps62f5f648.jpg

The plan was to run the wires to the ceiling but the wife didn't like that. I wanted to run them in heat shrink tubing but that giant thing at the end of the cable makes this almost impossible. The wife preferred when I just had the wires running behind the tank so this is what I came up with. I plan to get the wireless adapter when it becomes available so that would eliminate a cord and I may revisit running the cable to the ceiling. AI gives such long cables so I'm not limited by them.

i think it looks awesome as is

Thanks all. What would be awesome is if AI had a black conversion kit for the nano. But for the cost of the black conversion kit I should have just bought the larger sol. lol I think I can finally put my tools away. I'm happy and he wife is well sorta ok wit it. I should have live rock come Monday.

supermarvin76
Thanks all. What would be awesome is if AI had a black conversion kit for the nano. But for the cost of the black conversion kit I should have just bought the larger sol. lol I think I can finally put my tools away. I'm happy and he wife is well sorta ok wit it. I should have live rock come Monday.

I am currently waiting for a PicO III, and also have ordered the Sol Nano. Now, I am wondering if I should have just got the standard Sol. Check out my thread if you got a sec and let me know what you think please.

I am currently waiting for a PicO III, and also have ordered the Sol Nano. Now, I am wondering if I should have just got the standard Sol. Check out my thread if you got a sec and let me know what you think please.

Off to the gym, I'll check it out when I get home. You will be fine with the Nano. I just like a lot of light as in overkill. :) Not to mention you getting a cube shape you will be able to better utilize the spread.

Now if you want to order the standard sol in black and trade, I'll send you my nano & the price difference. ;)

Archived