Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fragsreef.. floating 40 breeder SPS tank

frags

I noticed you made basically a 4 way header/footer out of the 4 sides of the base that passes the wall but noticed you didnt include any cross bracing incase ypu have any deflection. This is just me but before you finis the underside of the flating end I would use some metal strip sheeting used in flooring and x brace in atleast one spot so that if you get any deflection the braces deflect together so it does not cause torsional stress on the tank

I noticed you made basically a 4 way header/footer out of the 4 sides of the base that passes the wall but noticed you didnt include any cross bracing incase ypu have any deflection. This is just me but before you finis the underside of the flating end I would use some metal strip sheeting used in flooring and x brace in atleast one spot so that if you get any deflection the braces deflect together so it does not cause torsional stress on the tank
Ive thought of what your saying but deflection would be tough with the plywood glued and the 2x6 have been glued and also have plywood inbetween. Im also going to put some foam under the tank for any minor deflection.

That would be cool with leds im just not confident in them with sps. I ordered a ati fixture.

That would be cool with leds im just not confident in them with sps. I ordered a ati fixture.

LEDs will make SPS grow like crazy and create little to no heat. I am on my laptop right now playing with my new Radion XR30w Pro and this thing is way too much light for my tank.

LEDs will make SPS grow like crazy and create little to no heat. I am on my laptop right now playing with my new Radion XR30w Pro and this thing is way too much light for my tank.

I could not find any successful long term tanks growing sps on LED so that's why I went with t5. I am sure in the future I will be running LED's and most likely will add them to this tank also.

Gotcha...I just figured I would ask didnt reakize you glued them like your supposed to. Lol now I know your a framer ;p

This build is looking really legit! Are you finishing your basement around this tank? Or are you just leaving it as is?

Just the room for my office and it was built with my tank in mind. Im glad you like it!

your ro/di isnt plumbed into the hot water is it?

you should drill your sump so you can do water changes with the twist of a valve since i see your house plumbing close.

id cook the rock in a seperate tank until its ready to go into the tank. i bet all kinds of nasty crap comes floating out of it.

sweet build btw.

your ro/di isnt plumbed into the hot water is it?

you should drill your sump so you can do water changes with the twist of a valve since i see your house plumbing close.

id cook the rock in a seperate tank until its ready to go into the tank. i bet all kinds of nasty crap comes floating out of it.

sweet build btw.

Funny you noticed that I was waiting for someone to notice but it is cold water whoever put the new tub in used the same color pex for cold and hot. I am going to do the water changes with the settling tank.THe problem with cooking the rock it takes so long 2-3 month's. This rock has not seen water for 5 yrs I wonder if the acid bath is enough?

Glad you like the build

You will still have a cycle. I bleached 300# of lr. When I cycled it I added about 10# of good established lr and some kind of bacteria in a bottle. The rock cycled in about 3 weeks. There will be a bunch of dead crap in the rock floating around inside of it that will be dislodged into the water as it cycles. Cycling it in another tank keeps it out of the display. Fwiw I cycled mine in the dt.lol

I think that settling tank will work out well. I bet it will catch a bunch of crap as water leaves the dt to the sump.

Update...

I plumbed the RO drain over to the utility sink that I put if for the aquarium. I setup the storage tank for the RO with a float shut-off. One problem is when the float switch shuts-off the RODI it builds backup pressure on the 2 DI stages and they were slightly leaking.

I got the Light setup and it sure looks good. This T5 puts out alot of light, one of the fans though was making a small vibration noise. I emailed ATI and 3 days later I had a new fan that I put in and it sounds great now. They didnt give me any crap they just sent it. The hanging kit that came with it is just awesome it is totally adjustable by just pushing a small part and you can adjust very easy!

post-76333-0-03809900-1363390166_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-10526500-1363390167_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-15873400-1363390168_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-78313200-1363390168_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-43944100-1363390169_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-47364800-1363390456_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-56919800-1363390457_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-24259000-1363390458_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-84751400-1363390458_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-39806100-1363390459_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-94188200-1363390459_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-55590300-1363390460_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-11727600-1363390461_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent choice on the lighting! I gotta admit, when you started this thread I was like.. Is this guy serious? But this build is getting pretty impressive!

• Like 2

I am definitely impressed. I like where this is going. As far as the acid...I would rinse the rock in some rodi, dump, repeat, dump then mix up some salt water and start cycling it and watch the PH...

Excellent choice on the lighting! I gotta admit, when you started this thread I was like.. Is this guy serious? But this build is getting pretty impressive!

Thats funny I think alot of people were thinking the same thing! This build is happening this weekend I will figure out my plumbing list.

I am definitely impressed. I like where this is going. As far as the acid...I would rinse the rock in some rodi, dump, repeat, dump then mix up some salt water and start cycling it and watch the PH...

The rock is insome water as we speak:-) glad u like the build.
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting on the settling tank to get here so I can do a layout of the tanks to figure out my plumbing and overflows. Does anyone have a coast to coast overflow and how much detritus do you get stuck in it? Also where have you guys purchased your drill bits for glass?