SaltCritters.com

Fragsreef.. floating 40 breeder SPS tank

frags

Finish as in paint/trim? Latex paint and some sort of nice crown molding would look great imo.

I really like the concept of this, but if it were me and I had the funds to pull it off, I would have used steel I beam instead of wood.

So I made some progress today got a the sheetrock up and a coat of mud on. I put the tank on to check it out what do you guys think?I put about 400 pounds on it and it didn't even move a 1/16th of an inch and thats with nothing counter-balancing on the other side.

Loving this build, looks really slick so far.

As for a mat under the tank, I never put anything under mine, its a 20" cube and didnt see the need to. If you are worried about it you can get thin rubber mat cut to size at your local rubber/pool store. My friend used some on his 55g Bowfront to prevent and sliding and to even out the contact surface and it worked great, cost him about $10.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished the office so now I can focus on the build. I have some photos of the update...

The photo with plywood is in the sump area on the other side of the office. The bottom pictures shows how the bottom platform has both 40 breeders on it!

post-76333-0-91822200-1362258860_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-03567000-1362258864_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-16558900-1362258866_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-22064700-1362258867_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
So wait, that's one tank going thru the wall or two tanks?
It is 2 seperate tanks. It will hold its self up without the counter balance of the other tank.

The next step in my build is to get the rock ready. The Rock had been sitting not in water for about 4 years. I want to remove the phosphate from the rock, do you guys think I can do that in the display tank waiting for the cycle or should I cook the rock seperate?

I setup the Rodi system tonight. This system is no joke. What I did not understand is the water supply was setup to attach to a hose bib? Who wants a garden hose running through there house! So I plumbed the supply as you can see in your pictures to a cold water supply. I tell ya that's not cheap just to connect somewhere around 15 bucks for the parts. The reason it's a form of Pex, nowadays there is no more soldering.

post-76333-0-34679400-1362535818_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-93571200-1362535819_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-23768900-1362535821_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-61066600-1362535822_thumb.jpg

post-76333-0-88603300-1362535823_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
SeahawkReefer

Cool idea! I would let your rock cure in a tub or something else other than your display tank... somewhere easy to rinse/ fill/ drain several times and then let soak... just my .02¢

Neat build, ever consider a rimless tank?

Does anyone put something under your tank to support any uneveness? Like a foam pad? I'm talking slight imperfections.

I've seen closed cell foam suggested from time to time. The sheets are pretty cheap if you get them as scrap off ebay.

Yes I would like a rimless tank I went with the 40 breeder because of the 1 gallon sale at petco. My dream tank would be a 36x36x12 rimless!

You have a good point seahawk! THe rock I have is dry rock and I am going to give it a acid bath and then rinse it with RODI before I put in the display.

very unique idea and I love this so far. If you made that display tank rimless and had some LEDs hanging above it well, this thing would be unstoppable ! but any who, way to be creative man!

What color do you guys think I should pain the platform under the tank? I could do black like the rim of the tank, the wall color so it doesnt look like its there? Or white like trim work what do you guys think?

Too bad you didnt leave a hole through the wall above the tank that way you could do some "floating" style led light which would cover 2 tanks