ReefCleaners.org

Fragsreef.. floating 40 breeder SPS tank

frags

So a liitle to change to the system... I started GFO 2 weeks ago 1 1/2 tbls of phosban and I just added another 1 1/2 tlbs today to see if it helps with algae. The big reason for this update is I am going to daily water changes and I started today.

You might think im crazy but if you know how i built my system it only takes me 3 minutes to do. The benefit is I can drain some of my settling tank every day! I am starting at 1.5 gallons a day on my 100gallon total system.
What do you guys think about daily water changes?? A benefit or not??

• Like 1

I see them as a benefit, smaller more frequent changes are good in my opinion because it allows you to keep the nutrient levels down while keeping parameters steady. It is more cost effective then say bio-pellets. Good move, and the easy of your changes will make it an easy task, which will make it more likely to continue long term.

• Like 1

So five days now of daily water changes and I must say I see some differences. Polyp extension is a lot more Shocked my pink stlylo and slimer looks crazy..But I did add more gfo a total of 3 tlbs in the system but I don't think that small amount made a difference. ..or the whole thing is a coincidence.

On another note my bi-color b lenny would not eat today and if he comes out of his hole he is a crazy man he also twitches...anyone have an idea whats wrong with him?

• 2 weeks later...
any updates on the settlement tank? i love the idea and would like to know your opinion or any advice on choosing/setting one up.

The only update is im using it daily for water changes. The advice I would give if your setting one up would be make sure its accessible! I know some guys that have set up one that's not accessible and Its a real pain.

if you are going to set up one let me know and I'll do a video to show you exactly how I built it

i'm definitely going to use one. i hate cleaning filter socks. plus i plan on having a daily auto water change set up too.

Have you watched my videos? One of the first ones went over the tank setup, I would start there and I can answer any questions you have and then show you what else I changed from my original setup.

found your youtube channel. did adding the extra pipe help? what is the recommended settlement tank size for x gallon tank and flow rate thru the settlement tank? would having a stilling tube help with settlement?

found your youtube channel. did adding the extra pipe help? what is the recommended settlement tank size for x gallon tank and flow rate thru the settlement tank? would having a stilling tube help with settlement?
what is a stilling tube?

Here is a video to help explain it... let me know if you have questions.

Need more pics - please :)

how about a video

thanks, that helped a lot. especially the tip to include some way to clean out the settlement that sticks and doesn't drain out.

here is a link to the stilling tube. acts the same way as a baffle in a sump does and makes the water take a longer path. basically a tube from the bottom of the lid that goes half way down the tank. you have the input pipe rising from the bottom of the tank and up 2/3 the way into the stilling tube.

http://www.ecofilms.com.au/diy-radial-flow-filter-for-aquaponics/

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up some sick pieces yesterday at the frag farmers .Jason fox red hot setosa, tubbs stellata, terra nova his new piece and also the sought after Tyree Tierra Del Fuego. Almost forgot the original red dragon. Picked up some encrusters for the bottom of the tank..a sunset and poker star.

A little update on the system.... I have been fighting some kind of brown/green hair algae for a couple of month's. :angry: This stuff will come and then completely go away and then come back. SO recently I added some GFO cleaned everything really well and I think it's dying off again. Not sure if it's because the tank is new 8 month's... rock leaching phosphate im not sure!

After my fish loss I had one fish for 10 days or so and with the heavy cleaning of the tanks my SPS started to fade in color. I started to dose today Acropower an amino acid into the system and I am going to feed oysterfeast tonight to my SPS. I have done a lot of reading about this stuff and for a tank like mine I think it will be beneficial for the growth and color of my SPS.

I am now back to 6 fish with the addition of the 4 chromis and a honey damsel. So feeding has continued and that should help my acro colors. I also bought some of the best food that I have found researching... PE Mysis and PE cyclopeeze. The mysis is suppose to be gut loaded with phytoplankton seeing they harvest it at night in a freshwater lake in Cananda. The Cyclo should benefit my coral.

The Leds are doing great! I have not bleached anything and I an ramping up the intensity over time. I still must say I am really impressed with the fixture. I am going to post some photos in the next couple days I have not had any time with creating the videos for marine depot product review! :D

Very Nice.

That green planet is really taking off. You still doing the 1 gallon/day WC?

Ya the green planet is cool a lot of encrusting in my tank with all the flow and then they take off. I stopped the daily because it does not clean the settling tank enough.

I am leaning towards 2times a week at 5 or so gallons and the once a month with the total settling tank of 12.