Top Shelf Aquatics

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Felicia.

The clean up went well. All repairs have been made. There is a burn ban in our county so the tree limbs are all waiting in a tidy pile. We will probably have a bonfire before the kids leave to go off to school.

Yes I rinsed it a lot. The water ran a little cloudy not milky and then I stopped rinsing. I used a large tub to rinse the sand. I filled the tub with water while agitating the sand and dumping the water out. It took six fill ups. It really made a difference in how fast the water cleared up and it was not too cloudy. I did not rinse the sand for the nano and it was thick with sediment. Lesson learned. :mellow:

Glad to hear the repairs went well and that everyone still has all their limbs attached. Guys with chainsaws make me nervous.

Thanks for the info! I had a friend tell me that the dry sand typically has a lot of dust and if you don't rinse it, you'll get a dust storm every time the jawfish burrows or kicks up sand. I don't have a big plastic tub, so I'll probably just rinse it in batches using a 5 gallon bucket. Sounds like a pain, but worth it.

Your chunky blennies are just the cutest.

Hi, ncc2015. Thanks for dropping in. They are too funny. I recommend them highly for entertainment and ease of keeping. :D

I'm so glad you made it through the power outage! Go E!

Me too! Sharkey, Skipper and the gang are all relieved too. :lol:

So glad all is well and everyone still had all their fingers & toes :D

Yep, I counted as they all walked through the door. :happy:

Glad to hear the repairs went well and that everyone still has all their limbs attached. Guys with chainsaws make me nervous.

Thanks for the info! I had a friend tell me that the dry sand typically has a lot of dust and if you don't rinse it, you'll get a dust storm every time the jawfish burrows or kicks up sand. I don't have a big plastic tub, so I'll probably just rinse it in batches using a 5 gallon bucket. Sounds like a pain, but worth it.

It really is worth it. It is tedious but the cleaned sand is so much nicer. :)

Your ponies and jawfish will love you for it. :wub:

Very nice video Ms. E. How does the new food compare with Paul B/pappone foods in terms of feeding response?

Thanks, Ms,Kat. The feed response seems to be just a tad more eager with Larry's. He puts in ova and other goodies that must make it smell irresistible. I still feed the Paul B home-made and I see more eagerness to the LRS food.

The little fat blennies really gobble up the nice pieces of nori in the LRS Herbivore Frenzy too.

More thunderstorms are rolling through right now and there are already peeps without power north of us. The lights are flickering. Oh, Lawd here we go again! :rolleyes:

Farm pics!

Just so's you know, we use no chemicals on our farm. We use chicken, horse and cow poo (composted) for fertilizer. We eat what the bugs, birds and other wildlife will leave us. :)

I have made Blueberry Buckles and a pie! Yum...

IMG_0029-X2.jpg

Several pints of raspberry jam...

IMG_0100-X2.jpg

Golden raspberries are especially fruity with no tartness. Delicious!

IMG_0094-X2.jpg

These turn into...

IMG_0046-X2.jpg

these Elderberry flowers. We make Elderberry wine from the berries.

IMG_0041-X2.jpg

Flowers all around...

IMG_0103-X2.jpg

IMG_0124-X2.jpg

IMG_0090-X2.jpg

IMG_0068-X2.jpg

IMG_0082-X2.jpg

IMG_0106-X2.jpg

IMG_0112-X2.jpg

IMG_0034-X2.jpg

Mmmm farm fresh food... (Sorry I'm a tad bit late to the party :blush: )

Never too late! Thanks for dropping by.

The blue berries are all gone. I got to most of them before the birds this time. I made Blueberry Buckles several times with this recipe. OMG they were sooooo good. My son is sad that Blueberry season is over because of the Buckles. I will try other fruits with that recipe.

The figs are coming into season now. I love them too. They are so tasty but also so nutritious!

Tomatoes, cukes and peppers (all kinds) are still going strong too.

Yummy

Mmm I wish I had the time and resources for gardening. So glad you got to the blueberries before the birds!!

Oh figs - that would be fun to try recipes with. I really need to get back in the kitchen with my fun experimenting recipes. It's been too long.

Our family loves every type of cuisine under the sun! Indian, Chinese, Korean, French, German, American, Tex-Mex, etc. I cook every day. Hubby is a great cook also. His mother was born in Germany so we cook lots of delicious dishes with spaetzle, schnitzel, kraut, sausages and kuchen! We have a huge smoker which we use every weekend. Our family loves good food. Can't you tell? :lol:

Oh I'm super jealous of your mad cooking skills. I'm a baker at heart and Veng is the cook. I can't decide if its a good thing I have a travel job or not... Pretty sure I'd be 300#s :blink:

I have learned how much I like to try new foods though. I had Caribbean jerk in California, OMG yummy!! Those red beans and rice with that hint of allspice/nutmeg. *Swoons*

Hmmm I wonder if I can find a good recipe for a spicy coconut curry... Oh and I love shawarma. Ok, now I'm a super hungry preggo lady. :P

Well we would be 300#s too if it were not for the fact that we fast every other day. I eat 500 calories and hubby eats 600 calories every other day. It is amazing how many veggies you can eat and still not exceed 500 calories! :) I fixed a huge, fresh garden salad for us with our tomatoes and cukes from the garden. About to eat that in a few minutes. We will be having a warm veggie soup for dinner. :)

On the other hand it is amazing how little bread, pasta, oil or sugar (in coffee) you can have in order not to go over the 500 cals. :(

I am off to eat my greens like our resident little rabbits in the hay meadows do.

Blubbernaut

Our family loves every type of cuisine under the sun! Indian, Chinese, Korean, French, German, American, Tex-Mex, etc. I cook every day. Hubby is a great cook also. His mother was born in Germany so we cook lots of delicious dishes with spaetzle, schnitzel, kraut, sausages and kuchen! We have a huge smoker which we use every weekend. Our family loves good food. Can't you tell? :lol:

What is spaetzle? It must be good, as it's German food :D

I love food too! Personally, I think that I would die if I tried to give it up. I am such an addict.

The figs are coming into season now. I love them too. They are so tasty but also so nutritious!

What kind of figs do you have? We have a Mission Fig tree and it produces candy! :)

Oh I'm super jealous of your mad cooking skills. I'm a baker at heart and Veng is the cook. I can't decide if its a good thing I have a travel job or not... Pretty sure I'd be 300#s :blink:

I have learned how much I like to try new foods though. I had Caribbean jerk in California, OMG yummy!! Those red beans and rice with that hint of allspice/nutmeg. *Swoons*

Hmmm I wonder if I can find a good recipe for a spicy coconut curry... Oh and I love shawarma. Ok, now I'm a super hungry preggo lady. :P

I live in California and I've not had Caribbean Jerk....gonna have to look into that! :)

What kind of figs do you have? We have a Mission Fig tree and it produces candy! :)

I live in California and I've not had Caribbean Jerk....gonna have to look into that! :)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/back-a-yard-caribbean-american-grill-menlo-park

I believe this was the place. It was literally a hole in the wall kind of place in Menlo Park. Apparently its still a sketchy-ish part of town. That food though..... You could tell this was an authentic place.

In Miami they serve Caribbean-jerk at many tropical style restaurants. It is good but some like to cook it too spicy. Hot! Hot! Hot!

We too are food addicts. How can we help it. Without good food shared with loved ones life is not lived to the fullest. :D

Our figs are Turkey figs. They are ready to pick when the neck bends and the fig looks like it is drooped on the tree. They really are like sticky, syrup candy when they ripen on the tree. I just harvested four figs so far. They just started to turn color and I could not wait to let them ripen all the way. I had to have them right then and there! :lol:

WE cook Shwabish spaetzle. It is an like spaghetti and an egg noodle hybrid. In the northern part of Germany they make them like little lumps (small dumplings). In the south of Germany (Shwabia) the noodles are made with a spaetzle machine, where you squeeze the noodle batter through a press into boiling, salted water and they cook into long spaghetti like noodles. It is truly delicious with schnitzle and gravy!

sptz1.jpg

Mmmm, spaetzle! I lived in Ulm, Germany for a summer and that area is very Schwaebisch so I had lots of that kind of spaetzle. Its really good with cheese (Kaese-Spaetzle), like mac-n-cheese. :)

Blubbernaut

WE cook Shwabish spaetzle. It is an like spaghetti and an egg noodle hybrid. In the northern part of Germany they make them like little lumps (small dumplings). In the south of Germany (Shwabia) the noodles are made with a spaetzle machine, where you squeeze the noodle batter through a press into boiling, salted water and they cook into long spaghetti like noodles. It is truly delicious with schnitzle and gravy!

sptz1.jpg

So it's basically German spaghetti? Could you by any chance ship some over here? :D

I was wondering, what color temperature are your Razors? 10,00K or 16,000K?

I have the 16K. I really like the color. Because it has the white and blue channels you can have it more white if you like it. I would get the 16 K if I were you because of the flexibility; you can use it for softies by keeping it at lower percentage or ramp it up if ever you need it at a later date for SPS.

I always forget there is a large tank thread.......I just got caught up in here.......love this tank! but.....you need to post more pics!!!!!!! :)

I always forget there is a large tank thread.......I just got caught up in here.......love this tank! but.....you need to post more pics!!!!!!! :)

Thank you Spiro! :D

I really should post more pics of the biggie. I am so wrapped up with the Nano right now. :)

I have the 16K. I really like the color. Because it has the white and blue channels you can have it more white if you like it. I would get the 16 K if I were you because of the flexibility; you can use it for softies by keeping it at lower percentage or ramp it up if ever you need it at a later date for SPS.

Good to know! I was thinking the 10K, but now based on what you and Gena have, I'm leaning towards the 16K. I just really like whiter light, but based on your photos and Gena's, its seems like you can balance the 16K to be less blue. I just hate the lights that are REALLY blue.

I plan to upgrade the light on the seahorse tank in ~6 months (before I have to buy another expensive bulb), so I will probably ask for the Maxspect Razor Nano for Christmas!

Archived