SaltCritters.com

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

Mr. Microscope

Ocelot says," Yeah, I know." Yawn, stretch, back to sleep. :lol:

LOL! That is SO cat.

He is a sweet, affectionate cat. He is a great mouser and here on the farm that is important. A big boy, he weighs about 16 lbs and it's all muscle! :D

haha, our cat is 7 lbs. Six of that is fluff, and the last one is all claws.
  • Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no sound advice. :D I'm a big BML fan and enjoyed those videos, which is probably where I got the advice.

Yes, they really know their stuff at BML. I looked to see if Dana Riddle had posted the results of the experiment he mentioned. I could not find it yet.

LOL! That is SO cat.

haha, our cat is 7 lbs. Six of that is fluff, and the last one is all claws.

I know what you mean about fluff and claws. Sylvie is like that. She is so cute and fluffy that you want to squeeze her tight and that is when you find the claws!

IMG_0002-XL.jpg

I have quoted myself to move the pictures and newest video to this current page. Just in case we have anew visitor drop by.

Hi, everybody.

I finally have a video up!

I have been struggling with lighting in this aquarium. At first I think I was too slow to ramp up the light to keep the coral happy and now I may have them to high. I am trying out a siesta mode, where I back the lights down to 50% for a few hours in the middle of the day.

Having gone on vacation for 4 weeks in December 2013 also did not help the tank. :(

It is discouraging as so many of us know when things do not go the way you hope. I really took it hard when Flute the Yellow Headed Jawfish died shortly after I came back from vacation. I had done a massive cleaning just before I left and I disturbed his den. He did not make another den and I think he was stressed from being out in the open. He was still cowering in one of the corners when I returned. I could not save him from himself. Poor fella. I have learned my lesson and I do not move rocks around unless it is absolutely necessary.

RIP Flute.

Over time the Blue Chromis picked each other off. :wacky:

The original members of the tank are a Molly Miller Blenny, the Royal Gramma and the Neon Wrasse. The coraline algae has grown a bunch! The Caulerpa has also grown across the sand bed like I want; to recreate what I remember seeing while snorkeling in the waters of South Florida. I also love the little feather dusters that have popped up.

It has taken me a year to build my courage up again to get more livestock.

I am on a waiting list for a mated pair of yellow headed jawfish. I really like their intelligent behavior.

So here are some pictures of the old and the new sea life.

Sebastian from Little Mermaid taught this tang to dance and sing, "Under da sea, dahling it's better down where it's wetter!"

20150415_135927-ANIMATION-XL.gif

Delicious algae! Yum Yum Yum

20150401_133406-ANIMATION-XL.gif

Sharkey the Neon Wrasse stiil keeping an eye out for flat worms even though he eliminated them a long time ago.

20150422_102459-XL.jpg

Blue Neon Goby zooms by.

20150422_102456-XL.jpg

Teeth!

20150422_102020-XL.jpg

I'm out!

20150422_102022-XL.jpg

Ocelot fell asleep watching the tank (cat's version of reality TV!).

20150422_102103-XL.jpg

Loving her condo on the beach!

20150422_102127-XL.jpg

20150422_102421-XL.jpg

This little guy like hanging out in front of the sand sifting sea cuke! See the cuke's net spread out?

20150422_102423-XL.jpg

Here is the sea cucumber on his own.

20150422_102410-XL.jpg

20150422_102533-XL.jpg

Two varieties of Gorgonian have done very well in this tank; Corky finger and Knobby finger.

20150422_101400-XL.jpg

20150422_101413-XL.jpg

20150422_101246-XL.jpg

20150422_100936-XL.jpg

Of course the indestructible Palys :wub:

20150422_102343-XL.jpg

20150422_102302-XL.jpg

20150422_100949-XL.jpg

20150422_101055-XL.jpg

20150422_101802-XL.jpg

20150422_002917-XL.jpg

I can't believe I forgot to mention one of the cutest members of the Caribbean Castle! I have a mated pair of Rusty Gobies!! They are always under a rock so I forget about them.

I fed some live nauplii and the darted out in a hurry. They are always upside down and even swim that way. :lol: They remind me of gravity defying austronauts.

They are so funny. Enjoy!

A few more pictures. In a few weeks I get my camera returned! :happy:

A common starfish just cruised up the glass. Where you going to, fella?

20150424_151507-XL.jpg

I could use this mushroom as a pillow. So cushy!

20150422_101932-XL.jpg

20150422_101843-XL.jpg

I am getting a few more of these scrubbing machines aka Pencil Urchin. You can always tell where these have been because there is no algae left on the rocks! Nothing! Zero! Zilch!

20150422_101523-XL.jpg

I do not know what this SPS is but I thought it looked Caribbean-ish. :closedeyes:

20150422_101233-XL.jpg

Rusty gobys are awesome, loved the video.

Thank you,Mark.

Very interesting tank. Well done.

Thank you, seabass. I find it so interesting I spend too much time around it!

How is the stand holding up? I like the idea of using those racks. Any signs of rust? I have a few of them around and might put them to use for a tank.

Hello, braaap. The stand is holding up well. There is no rust on it so far. I do clean it off any time I spill saltwater on it. This is the commercial grade since it has to hold so much weight. The cheaper version that I used for the phytoplankton station has begun to rust a bit on one of the shelves.you get what you pay for as the saying goes. I like this stand a lot.

I love my pencil urchin as well. Have one in with Gertie.

Cool. Those are some long feelers. My urchins all have short ones.

Mr. Microscope

I do not know what this SPS is but I thought it looked Caribbean-ish. :closedeyes:

20150422_101233-XL.jpg

Looks like monti satosa to me. Perhaps, a little bleached (I could be wrong depending on your camera settings and white balance).

Looks like monti satosa to me. Perhaps, a little bleached (I could be wrong depending on your camera settings and white balance).

Thanks for the ID, Mr. M. You are probably right about the color. It is a bit more tan/light brown than the picture shows.

You are also right about the bleaching. I have adjusted my lights to only go up to 80% (not 100% for 4 hours!) and a siesta time to 50% in the middle of the day.

Finally! I have a chance to reintroduce a Yellow Head Jawfish. Actually two, as a mated pair has become available. I ordered them and they should arrive next week. :happydance:

20150422_101109-X2.jpg

I don't know what this is. A pocillopora? It looked caribbean-ish. A fish store was going out of business a few months ago and was selling lots of their frags at give away prices. I got this one and the setosa that Mr. Microscope so kindly ID'd.

20150422_101338-X2.jpg

The Chalk Bass are so gentle with one another. They are quite different from any other fish I've ever had.

20150422_102049-X2.jpg

jedimasterben

Yes, the SPS is a pocillopora :)

I want to get some more chalk bass. My one is awesome. Very snarky when it comes to feeding time though :D

Yes, the SPS is a pocillopora :)

I want to get some more chalk bass. My one is awesome. Very snarky when it comes to feeding time though :D

Snarky huh? Well mine are still immature. There are seven of them so there may be too many for one to get snarky. But who knows their temperaments may change with age.

jedimasterben

Snarky huh? Well mine are still immature. There are seven of them so there may be too many for one to get snarky. But who knows their temperaments may change with age.

This one I have is about the maximum recorded size, so I think that he may just be a grumpy old man :)

A very pretty mushy is not doing well. It has been shrunken with spaghetti coming out of it everywhere. One of my mushies in the nano did this before it split after haveing it for a year. This looks a little more severe and I've only had it for two weeks. Any suggestions?

Today

20150428_145545-XL.jpg

Before

20150422_101932-XL.jpg

jedimasterben

:(

Unfortunately that has happened to every single sanctithomae mushroom I've ever had, though mine shriveled up to less than dime size before doing it. :(

Also, I wanted to bring up your light schedule. Can you tell me what percentage you have for each set point and the times for each?

NinjaReefer

Very nice!!! I love to see somebody do something a little different and it really looks good. Can you put up a whole tank shot when you have a chance.

For you mushroom. Less light and flow untill it starts looking better.

Ben, I would love your input on the lights.

1 7:30am 0%A 1%B

2 10am 90 70

3 12pm 50 50

4 4:30pm 100 100

5 6:30pm 70 60

6 8 pm 0 1

Very nice!!! I love to see somebody do something a little different and it really looks good. Can you put up a whole tank shot when you have a chance.

For you mushroom. Less light and flow untill it starts looking better.

Thanks NinjaReefer! I will try placing it lower in a quiet spot.

You read my mind. :) I took these yesterday to post. Thanks for asking.

Over exposed, but better than nothing!

20150427_123334-X2.jpg

20150427_123313-X2.jpg

20150427_123321-X2.jpg

:(

Unfortunately that has happened to every single sanctithomae mushroom I've ever had, though mine shriveled up to less than dime size before doing it. :(

Also, I wanted to bring up your light schedule. Can you tell me what percentage you have for each set point and the times for each?

I have made a little love shack for the mated pair of YHJ that is arriving tomorrow out of my DIY live rocks for the bare spot at the very end of the aquarium. I have it soaking in water from a previous water change to get it bacterially jump-started. I do not want to put it in there until the pair arrive so that no other inhabitants take up residence.

I will post pictures once it is all in place.

Archived