Top Shelf Aquatics

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

These are so iridescent blue! Yes, a bonded pair. But they have not found each other. I don't know if they usually share a burrow. ??

I don't know either. I bet you'll find her in his burrow one day :).
  • Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eitallent

If I find the fish doing anything like this in my tank I'll definitely make a video and post it here for all to see. :bling: Next viral video!

FlowerMama

I think they do share a home but it's not unusual for him to make separate ones to see which one she likes the best.

I think they do share a home but it's not unusual for him to make separate ones to see which one she likes the best.

Or he's just a playa hoping for 2 girlfriends.

eitallent

One of the littlest Chalk Bass is dying. :(

It is seeking shelter in low flow areas and can barely stay upright. At one point, it was belly up but it has righted itself. Its fins are in perfect shape. There are no wound marks on his body anywhere. He is "breathing" fast and I can see his gills are red and nothing seems wrong with them.

I notice that his belly seems bloated compared to the others. Is it possible for a fish to die from bloat? :wacko:

Edit to post above. No other fish were or are picking on him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello friends! It is June already! Thinkgs are hopping and not just in the tank! I have baby chicks, ducklings and peacocks hatching. I've got babies in brooders, hatchlings in hatchers and fertile eggs in incubators! LOL You could say things are busy, busy.

20150530_120251-ANIMATION-XL.gif

In Castle news a few citizens have been naughty nibblers! The little Molly Miller Blenny was hiding an dark secret. She is a midnight muncher of Rock Flower Anemones!. According to an article in AdvancedAquarist.com the MMB is an omnivore. Most people ( i was one) are under the impression that they only eat algae. But no, they also love Aptaisa. It seems that RFA taste like Aptaise to my MMB because she would sit all night next to several RFAs and eat them. They had their tentaicles almost all gone by the time I got on to her nightly raids and moved her to the 34 gallon tank refugium. Another naught nibbler is the Atlantic Cowry. Every site I looked at said these guys eat algae. Boy do they ever! Unfortunately they also love Palys, Zoas and Yellow polyps. I noticed some beautiful blue zoas and lime green Palys were completely gone form their plugs and the only thing different was the beautiful, shiny Cowry innocently resting nearby. I doubted this could happen! All doubts were gone when I caught it actually eating the flesh off one of my gorgs like it was corn on the cob. I removed him to join his partner in crime to the fuge.

Here he is in the fuge slurping up a stray Yellow polyp foot first off the glass.

jedimasterben

I love how it just SLURPS it in at the end and then it looks kind of sad like 'hey, where did my snack go?' :lol:

indeed..

Sorry. :(

:(

Sorry to hear about the chalk bass :( Everything else looks wonderful though!

Thanks to all of you for you sympathy. I am so glad that no other fish have shown any signs of illness. Every one looks great and growing.

I love how it just SLURPS it in at the end and then it looks kind of sad like 'hey, where did my snack go?' :lol:

Yes! It almost looks like it is chewing. :P Naughty naughty!

20150530_120254-X2.jpg

20150530_120403-X2.jpg

20150530_120343-X2.jpg

jedimasterben

Yes! It almost looks like it is chewing. :P Naughty naughty!

Did you spank it before you put it in the fuge? Reef discipline has to be done :D

HarryPotter

Did you spank it before you put it in the fuge? Reef discipline has to be done :D

"Do you spank your cowries?"

Done. So done. :lol:

Wow! Glad you figured out what was eating your corals. Had no idea that any blennies would eat anemones like that. That cowrie was too funny with that polyp. Nice video!

Lovely new gif too! I like the top down view with all the movement :)

I can't spank it for something that is in his nature to do, so I used love to discipline! Now all is at peace and harmony. :happy:

"Do you spank your cowries?"

Done. So done. :lol:

:lol:

Wow! Glad you figured out what was eating your corals. Had no idea that any blennies would eat anemones like that. That cowrie was too funny with that polyp. Nice video!

Lovely new gif too! I like the top down view with all the movement :)

Thank you, Felicia! You never know how critters are going to behave until they are in your tank with your specific conditions. Naughty or not she is so cute I can't stay angry at her. :rolleyes:

20150401_133406-ANIMATION-XL.gif

Definitely a cute little fish. I love blennies. They have so much personality. My starry blenny is a clown.

Looks like you have lots of fun things going on over there! Wish I had space for a full garden. I just have lots of potted plants on the walkway to my apartment door and my one potted meyer lemon tree. Someday when I have a big yard! That baby bird is cute!

Definitely a cute little fish. I love blennies. They have so much personality. My starry blenny is a clown.

Looks like you have lots of fun things going on over there! Wish I had space for a full garden. I just have lots of potted plants on the walkway to my apartment door and my one potted meyer lemon tree. Someday when I have a big yard! That baby bird is cute!

I saw the pictures in your thread of the lemons in your delicious cocktail mix! I have a Meyers lemon in a pot too. Unfortunately, the geese thought it tasted great and nibbled all the new leaves this spring. Naughty Nibblers! The lemon is making a come back but we will not have lemons this year! :closedeyes:

Here are the chick frags a little more grown and cuter than freshly hatched.

20150603_155117-X2.jpg

20150603_155125-X2.jpg

That's a bummer that you won't have any lemons, but you have lots of other yummy produce! Those little chicks are super cute!

That's a bummer that you won't have any lemons, but you have lots of other yummy produce! Those little chicks are super cute!

We did have a very mild spring so everything got an early start. Last night I stir fried our own potatoes, zuchini, sugarsnap peas, kale, garlic and onions. I was eyeing that naughty Cowry to throw in as protein. ;)

20150529_070735-XL.jpg

It ate a green clove polyp frag that I had on a frag rack. I was sure he could not reach it but it has a long proboscis! He is in the sump again.

Make way for ducklings!!!!

20150604_123015-X2.jpg

Archived