Coral Vue Hydros

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

Polarcollision

The middle picture is hydroids.

Edit. Sorry the 2 pics here are hydroids.

Ohh! I recognize those. I think they're the same, at least. They turn into the little white string hydroids. I thought they were awesome the way they sway and retract. Tried to get rid of them when they bothered the zoas but they're here to stay. And hey--free flower stars on the glass, right?

In the temperate aquarium I'd give my left pinky finfger to get these little pink mouth hydroids to grow. Mostly want them because they're the only thing those pink nudibrachs eat.

P5191416-M.jpg

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohh! I recognize those. I think they're the same, at least. They turn into the little white string hydroids. I thought they were awesome the way they sway and retract. Tried to get rid of them when they bothered the zoas but they're here to stay. And hey--free flower stars on the glass, right?

In the temperate aquarium I'd give my left pinky finfger to get these little pink mouth hydroids to grow. Mostly want them because they're the only thing those pink nudibrachs eat.

I could send you lots of Hydroid medusa larvae for your pink nudis. :) The star flower Hydroids are no longer clinging to the glass. I read that Peppermint shrimp eat them and I have two Peps in there. I still see the little medusa stage of the Hydroids swimming around but not as many as in the previous video. I also have lots of pods which are all crawling on the glass. Maybe they eat the soft hydroid bodies. These mysteries make this hobby so rewarding to me. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ ><(((<('>ooo

Here are today's water parameters:

8:00 AM Temp 80.7o F :: pH 7.72 :: alk 9.2 dKH :: PO4 0.16ppm :: Mg 1440ppm

I have noticed the coralline algae beginning to take over the rocks! It is the green color that shows up before the purple takes over. I am very happy about this progress. :D

The photosynthetic Grogs continue to do well. The feather gorg is growing fast. It stayed happy from its original place ment in the tank. It has branched out and its polyps are open most of the time. I can see it have a feed response when I feed the tank. Cool! The Corky finger is also doing well it has long polyps and they are always out and flowing in the current. The Purple Candelabra has struggled to keep polyp extension.It has got skinnier. I moved it from Gorg Gorge higher up for more light. I also had it in very strong current and it did not like it one bit. I think I finally placed it in a sweet spot for flow and light because it has much better polyp extension every day. I hope it stays happy. :|

All the fishies are healthy, happy and getting along. The MM Blenny Momma has had no hatches but continues to keep a close watch on the eggs in the barnacle. :)

FlCandy's Zoa frags are doing well. They are very bright and fat. :)

Felicia's Zoas and Mushies continue to thrive. The Fuzzy Mushrooms are so big and plumpy! Love it.

I have been pruning and keeping the runners of the Caulerpa prolifera from attaching to the rocks. They have to stay on the sand or there will be trouble! :lol:

I will try to snap some pictures today. :)

In the meantime here is Archie the rescue tortoise.

Archie,"I am taking a bath here! What's with the camera?!"

IMG_0008-XL.jpg

IMG_0012-XL.jpg

IMG_0016-XL.jpg

IMG_0021-XL.jpg

"If you're not going to feed me I am outta here!"

IMG_0020-X2.jpg

Tortoises these days... Gotta love them :haha:

I know! :lol:

I just got a delivery from LRS fishfoods (Made in the USA, North Carolina counts right? ;) ) It arrived frozen rock solid with dry ice in a KODIACKOOLER. Larry sent two smaller (nano size) packs to give to my LFSs. Hopefully they will start carrying it here.

I will try it out in the next feeding.

My son is enjoying doing experiments with the dry ice. :D

IMG_20130710_134331_550_zps49604f34.jpg

oldSWseamomma

I could send you lots of Hydroid medusa larvae for your pink nudis. :) The star flower Hydroids are no longer clinging to the glass. I read that Peppermint shrimp eat them and I have two Peps in there. I still see the little medusa stage of the Hydroids swimming around but not as many as in the previous video. I also have lots of pods which are all crawling on the glass. Maybe they eat the soft hydroid bodies. These mysteries make this hobby so rewarding to me. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ ><(((<('>ooo

Here are today's water parameters:

8:00 AM Temp 80.7o F :: pH 7.72 :: alk 9.2 dKH :: PO4 0.16ppm :: Mg 1440ppm

I have noticed the coralline algae beginning to take over the rocks! It is the green color that shows up before the purple takes over. I am very happy about this progress. :D

The photosynthetic Grogs continue to do well. The feather gorg is growing fast. It stayed happy from its original place ment in the tank. It has branched out and its polyps are open most of the time. I can see it have a feed response when I feed the tank. Cool! The Corky finger is also doing well it has long polyps and they are always out and flowing in the current. The Purple Candelabra has struggled to keep polyp extension.It has got skinnier. I moved it from Gorg Gorge higher up for more light. I also had it in very strong current and it did not like it one bit. I think I finally placed it in a sweet spot for flow and light because it has much better polyp extension every day. I hope it stays happy. :|

All the fishies are healthy, happy and getting along. The MM Blenny Momma has had no hatches but continues to keep a close watch on the eggs in the barnacle. :)

FlCandy's Zoa frags are doing well. They are very bright and fat. :)

Felicia's Zoas and Mushies continue to thrive. The Fuzzy Mushrooms are so big and plumpy! Love it.

I have been pruning and keeping the runners of the Caulerpa prolifera from attaching to the rocks. They have to stay on the sand or there will be trouble! :lol:

I will try to snap some pictures today. :)

In the meantime here is Archie the rescue tortoise.

Archie,"I am taking a bath here! What's with the camera?!"

IMG_0008-XL.jpg

IMG_0012-XL.jpg

IMG_0016-XL.jpg

IMG_0021-XL.jpg

"If you're not going to feed me I am outta here!"

IMG_0020-X2.jpg

Miss E that is one of the cutest little tortoise babies evarh !!! :wub:

Miss E that is one of the cutest little tortoise babies evarh !!! :wub:

Thanks, SeaMomma. He really is a cutie-pie. :D

I stop my car, annoying drivers all around me, and move them off the road all the time.

I have found them in my garden eating my maters! Naughty, naughty! :lol:

oldSWseamomma

Thanks, SeaMomma. He really is a cutie-pie. :D

I stop my car, annoying drivers all around me, and move them off the road all the time.

I have found them in my garden eating my maters! Naughty, naughty! :lol:

His face looks like one of those baby sea turtles from Nemo ! :lol: I stop my car all the time to save puppies, kitties, etc. In fact last night at Walmart I called 911 and animal control - some pond scum had left there little dog in the car with the windows up and no AC on :scarry: I was freaking out !!! I told them if they didn't get there A.S.A.P I was breaking a window. :rant: They got there just in time as the owner walked up just then and they arrested her butt for animal cruelty. Poor little dog :tears:

His face looks like one of those baby sea turtles from Nemo ! :lol: I stop my car all the time to save puppies, kitties, etc. In fact last night at Walmart I called 911 and animal control - some pond scum had left there little dog in the car with the windows up and no AC on :scarry: I was freaking out !!! I told them if they didn't get there A.S.A.P I was breaking a window. :rant: They got there just in time as the owner walked up just then and they arrested her butt for animal cruelty. Poor little dog :tears:

That's an insult to pond scum, SeaMomma! I give you two thumbs waaaaay up for helping that puppy! It reached 98 F here with a heat index of 105! What about in TN where you live? There is no way anything can survive in a car for any amount of time in summer heat.

I forgot to mention there is another batch of baby Peppermint shrimp in the macroalgae grow out tank. I wonder if any will make it this time. I added lots of nannochloropsis microalgae so much so that the water resembles green fog. :)

oldSWseamomma

That's an insult to pond scum, SeaMomma! I give you two thumbs waaaaay up for helping that puppy! It reached 98 F here with a heat index of 105! What about in TN where you live? There is no way anything can survive in a car for any amount of time in summer heat.

I forgot to mention there is another batch of baby Peppermint shrimp in the macroalgae grow out tank. I wonder if any will make it this time. I added lots of nannochloropsis microalgae so much so that the water resembles green fog. :)

I was ready to go to jail for breaking a car window - it was over 92 and I had been standing by the car for 10 minutes already waiting on them. The lady said she had only been in Walmart 5 minutes and I called BS on her and told the police I had been standing there for almost 15 minutes waiting on them or the owner to show up. I had proof...took pictures with my phone and it had time tags on it....BUSTED !!! One of the police went and got a bottle of water for the dog from Walmart store and then her daughter came and took the dog home with her. I hope they fine her big time. My son-in-law is a police officer and his comment is some of these people don't have the brains to have kids or own pets - they are just human culls.....nuff said. :rant:

Baby peppermints !! I hope they survive this time :wub:

I was ready to go to jail for breaking a car window - it was over 92 and I had been standing by the car for 10 minutes already waiting on them. The lady said she had only been in Walmart 5 minutes and I called BS on her and told the police I had been stadning there for almost 15 minutes waiting on them or the owner to show up. I had proof...took pictures with my phone and it had time tags on it....BUSTED !!! One of the police went and got a bottle of water for the dog from Walmart store and then her daughter came and took the dog home with her. I hope they fine her big time. My son-in-law is a police officer and his comment is some of these people don't have the brains to have kids or own pets - they are just human culls.....nuff said. :rant:

You go girl! :D Nothing makes me angrier than abuse or neglect of the helpless; elderly, children, the handicapped or animals!

Mr. Microscope

Hey Ercilia,

What heater are you using? I'm planning on about a 100 gallon build. So, I figure whatever you're using should suffice.

Blubbernaut

I was ready to go to jail for breaking a car window - it was over 92 and I had been standing by the car for 10 minutes already waiting on them. The lady said she had only been in Walmart 5 minutes and I called BS on her and told the police I had been standing there for almost 15 minutes waiting on them or the owner to show up. I had proof...took pictures with my phone and it had time tags on it....BUSTED !!! One of the police went and got a bottle of water for the dog from Walmart store and then her daughter came and took the dog home with her. I hope they fine her big time. My son-in-law is a police officer and his comment is some of these people don't have the brains to have kids or own pets - they are just human culls.....nuff said. :rant:

Lol, sounds like what I'd do. Whenever I go shark fishing and see another boat nearby, I watch to see what they do with the sharks when they catch them using binocs. I swear if I ever catch someone shark finning, I'll ram them with my boat :owned: , mainly b/c my boat can't sink :naughtydance:

Hey Ercilia,

What heater are you using? I'm planning on about a 100 gallon build. So, I figure whatever you're using should suffice.

Hello, Mr.M.

OMG 100g! Cannot wait for that thread to start! :)

I use two of the Fluval 300W. One would suffice for 100 g but because my tank is 6' long I felt better about quicker heat distribution with two heaters. I also like that it is covered to protect snails and other animals from burns. Animals that may have crawled upon it when it is cycled off may not be able to move off the heater quickly when it cycles on again. The temperature indicator works like a charm. It glows red when the water temp is above the set temp, it glows blue if it is colder.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-E-300-Watt-Electronic-Heater/dp/B001VMSK0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373552055&sr=8-1&keywords=fluval+aquarium+heater

71dnLR3FtlL._SL1500_.jpg

Lol, sounds like what I'd do. Whenever I go shark fishing and see another boat nearby, I watch to see what they do with the sharks when they catch them using binocs. I swear if I ever catch someone shark finning, I'll ram them with my boat :owned: , mainly b/c my boat can't sink :naughtydance:

I can just imagine you at ramming speed on your unsinkable boat getting justice for wrongs done to mother nature! :D

Yesterday I got a delivery from LRS fishfoods (Made in the USA, North Carolina counts right? ;) ) It arrived frozen rock solid with dry ice in a KODIACKOOLER. Professional packaging. Larry, the owner, sent two smaller (nano size) packs to give to my LFSs. Hopefully they will start carrying it here.

The fish and coral love it. It has the same fresh smell and consistency of my home-made clam/oyster/shrimp mix with the added bonus of rotifers and phyto mixed in.

My son enjoyed doing experiments with the dry ice. There was fog on the kitchen counter and a very tall column of frozen Dawn soap bubbles. :D

IMG_20130710_134331_550_zps49604f34.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Hello, Mr.M.

OMG 100g! Cannot wait for that thread to start! :)

I use two of the Fluval 300W. One would suffice for 100 g but because my tank is 6' long I felt better about quicker heat distribution with two heaters. I also like that it is covered to protect snails and other animals from burns. Animals that may have crawled upon it when it is cycled off may not be able to move off the heater quickly when it cycles on again. The temperature indicator works like a charm. It glows red when the water temp is above the set temp, it glows blue if it is colder.

Cool! Thanks! $38?!!! Nice.

The link is in my sig. It's for the frag tank. I'm now planning to go 48 inches instead of 36. I haven't posted the new design yet though. It'll be something like 48 x 24 x 14 which comes out to about 70 gallons. Plus, I'm thinking about a 30 gallon sump. So, 100 total. This will replace my DT and be half DT, half frag tank.

Blubbernaut

I can just imagine you at ramming speed on your unsinkable boat getting justice for wrongs done to mother nature! :D

Watch the sales ad for Boston Whalers on youtube. I have one :happydance:

Cool! Thanks! $38?!!! Nice.

The link is in my sig. It's for the frag tank. I'm now planning to go 48 inches instead of 36. I haven't posted the new design yet though. It'll be something like 48 x 24 x 14 which comes out to about 70 gallons. Plus, I'm thinking about a 30 gallon sump. So, 100 total. This will replace my DT and be half DT, half frag tank.

Oh, I see. :) I already follow you on that thread. I love it!

I like the price on that heater too. They have worked great for me.

Watch the sales ad for Boston Whalers on youtube. I have one :happydance:

I will. I always had so much fun out on the water. I did get sea-sick sometimes but it was worth it. Eating peppermint candy always helped me keep the nausea away.

Edit: I just saw their web site. Awesome boats!

<Soapbox engaged>

How come adults in the boat ads are never seen with their life vests on?

I have a friend whose nephew drowned last summer in a lake because he did not have a life vest on. He was an athlete, 22 years old, recent college graduate who jumped in to get a ball cap that had blown off his little cousins head. He was such a strong swimmer and still he drowned. I was not the same for months after that tragedy.

This summer has just started and we already have as many drowning deaths as all of last year in this state. These deaths are avoidable.

People think it will not happen to them or their families. We underestimate the power of water to sap our strength. Youngsters think they are invincible!

Wear you life vests people! Set an example for your kids!

<Soapbox disengaged>

oldSWseamomma

Oh, I see. :) I already follow you on that thread. I love it!

I like the price on that heater too. They have worked great for me.

I will. I always had so much fun out on the water. I did get sea-sick sometimes but it was worth it. Eating peppermint candy always helped me keep the nausea away.

Edit: I just saw their web site. Awesome boats!

<Soapbox engaged>

How come adults in the boat ads are never seen with their life vests on?

I have a friend whose nephew drowned last summer in a lake because he did not have a life vest on. He was an athlete, 22 years old, recent college graduate who jumped in to get a ball cap that had blown off his little cousins head. He was such a strong swimmer and still he drowned. I was not the same for months after that tragedy.

This summer has just started and we already have as many drowning deaths as all of last year in this state. These deaths are avoidable.

People think it will not happen to them or their families. We underestimate the power of water to sap our strength. Youngsters think they are invincible!

Wear you life vests people! Set an example for your kids!

<Soapbox disengaged>

You are soooo right Miss E ! We have quite a few lakes around here and every summer the K9 SAR team I work with has numerous callouts to find drowning victims :( In each and every case if they had been wearing lifevests they would be alive.

Yes, SWseamomma. It is tragic.

Here is an interesting story that changed my view on what a drowning looks like.

Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

drowning.jpg

This is too important to skip over so I am including an excerpt of the article. Click the link above to read more.

Excerpt:

The new captain jumped from the deck, fully dressed, and sprinted through the water. A former lifeguard, he kept his eyes on his victim as he headed straight for the couple swimming between their anchored sportfisher and the beach. “I think he thinks you’re drowning,” the husband said to his wife. They had been splashing each other and she had screamed but now they were just standing, neck-deep on the sand bar. “We’re fine, what is he doing?” she asked, a little annoyed. “We’re fine!” the husband yelled, waving him off, but his captain kept swimming hard. ”Move!” he barked as he sprinted between the stunned owners. Directly behind them, not ten feet away, their nine-year-old daughter was drowning. Safely above the surface in the arms of the captain, she burst into tears, “Daddy!”

How did this captain know – from fifty feet away – what the father couldn’t recognize from just ten? Drowning is not the violent, splashing, call for help that most people expect. The captain was trained to recognize drowning by experts and years of experience. The father, on the other hand, had learned what drowning looks like by watching television. If you spend time on or near the water (hint: that’s all of us) then you should make sure that you and your crew knows what to look for whenever people enter the water. Until she cried a tearful, “Daddy,” she hadn’t made a sound. As a former Coast Guard rescue swimmer, I wasn’t surprised at all by this story. Drowning is almost always a deceptively quiet event. The waving, splashing, and yelling that dramatic conditioning (television) prepares us to look for, is rarely seen in real life.

Somehow I got behind...

That little tortoise is adorable! I used to rescue them from the road all the time in Florida but I don't see turtles or tortoises too often around here. Its too urban. You take amazing photos, btw :)

How much did shipping cost on frozen food? Quite a bit right? If I do seahorses, I want to get a specific brand of frozen mysis that comes highly recommended but I'm worried I'd have to order it and pay shipping all the time.

Somehow I got behind...

That little tortoise is adorable! I used to rescue them from the road all the time in Florida but I don't see turtles or tortoises too often around here. Its too urban. You take amazing photos, btw :)

How much did shipping cost on frozen food? Quite a bit right? If I do seahorses, I want to get a specific brand of frozen mysis that comes highly recommended but I'm worried I'd have to order it and pay shipping all the time.

Thanks, Felicia.

Maybe you can get together with a few people in your area and order frozen food together.

I ordered about $60 of food (which will last me a good long while) and it cost $26 to ship which only took up one quarter of the space in the box. So if I order with two or three other people next time then we can share the costs of shipping.

I have already lined up a few people who are interested in ordering next time in my local club. :)

Thanks, Felicia.

Maybe you can get together with a few people in your area and order frozen food together.

I ordered about $60 of food (which will last me a good long while) and it cost $26 to ship which only took up one quarter of the space in the box. So if I order with two or three other people next time then we can share the costs of shipping.

I have already lined up a few people who are interested in ordering next time in my local club. :)

That's a good idea. My local club is so active that I bet I could get people to go in on shipping with me if I needed to. I'm still hoping to find the food I want locally, but I'm holding off on calling around to the local store until I'm positive the seahorses are going to happen.

Blubbernaut

Yes, SWseamomma. It is tragic.

Here is an interesting story that changed my view on what a drowning looks like.

Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

drowning.jpg

This is too important to skip over so I am including an excerpt of the article. Click the link above to read more.

Excerpt:

Great story. And now that I've seen how fast the tide can go in SF Bay, I understand how someone would just disappear, never to be seen again. Kinda scary, especially with the bat rays.

My good buddy Brian at 3rd Coast Corals gave me a sample pack of the Reef Frenzy and my fishies and corals went nuts! Plus it didn't cloud up my tank at all. Good stuff!

Archived