Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

oldSWseamomma

Gorgeous !!! You not only have a "blue thumb" but also a green thumb !!! :D Very pretty ! I have neither :wacko:

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Es muy bonita!

Next year, I'm going to plant a large plot of sunflowers (I have seeds for several kinds - teddy bear that are nice and fuzzy, Russian mammoths which are 12-15 feet tall and a foot across for the heads, and I believe the red ones are called 'strawberry blonde') and for Gerbera daisies. The gerberas are my favorite flowers, but I can't keep them except in specific locations, because they can handle full sun, but if they get over 90F or so, the amount of light they can handle goes down dramatically or they get a 'sunburn' of sorts.

I want my whole yard to look like this:

gerbera-daisy.JPG

Gorgeous !!! You not only have a "blue thumb" but also a green thumb !!! :D Very pretty ! I have neither :wacko:

Thank ya! It is a struggle to keep the weed at bay and there is nothing I can do for this HEAT! Except to wear my cool shades. B)

Es muy bonita!

Next year, I'm going to plant a large plot of sunflowers (I have seeds for several kinds - teddy bear that are nice and fuzzy, Russian mammoths which are 12-15 feet tall and a foot across for the heads, and I believe the red ones are called 'strawberry blonde') and for Gerbera daisies. The gerberas are my favorite flowers, but I can't keep them except in specific locations, because they can handle full sun, but if they get over 90F or so, the amount of light they can handle goes down dramatically or they get a 'sunburn' of sorts.

I want my whole yard to look like this:

gerbera-daisy.JPG

:wub:

Lovely. I wish mine looked like this too! We are having 105 heat index today. The only things I have in my flower beds for summer is Marigolds and Zinnias. :)

jedimasterben

:wub:

Lovely. I wish mine looked like this too! We are having 105 heat index today. The only things I have in my flower beds for summer is Marigolds and Zinnias. :)

My grandma has had one of her flower boxes full of zinnias for several years now - and she's only put in seeds once. They come back in even more colors than the previous year!

I think my wife and I may be moving sometime in the next year, and if we do, I'm gonna make sure that I have plenty of space for a daisy garden. :wub:

My grandma has had one of her flower boxes full of zinnias for several years now - and she's only put in seeds once. They come back in even more colors than the previous year!

I think my wife and I may be moving sometime in the next year, and if we do, I'm gonna make sure that I have plenty of space for a daisy garden. :wub:

Shasta Daisies are my favorite flowers. It sounds like you & your wife have your priorities straight! :)

I used to have an elaborate, beautiful garden. Now I have a an easy garden. Low water, low maintenance plants and flowers. No more fighting Mother Nature. :)

This grows on my fence every year. I just water it and feed it when the rest of the garden gets something. Easy peasy.

IMG_0029-XL.jpg

jedimasterben

Very pretty :)

When we built our flower boxes, we loaded them with many species of flowers basically to see which would live and which wouldn't with our rather hands-off approach, and so far only a couple aren't doing so well. My gerberas under a tree are doing pretty well, but from what I understand, I'll basically need to keep them in a raised box to prevent crown rot, so darn, I guess I'll have to build a massive one :)

Very pretty :)

When we built our flower boxes, we loaded them with many species of flowers basically to see which would live and which wouldn't with our rather hands-off approach, and so far only a couple aren't doing so well. My gerberas under a tree are doing pretty well, but from what I understand, I'll basically need to keep them in a raised box to prevent crown rot, so darn, I guess I'll have to build a massive one :)

Planting multiple species was very smart.

Gerberas are worth the work though. I love them! :happy:

oldSWseamomma

Ms Eitallent I thought you would get a kick out of this pic :) Finally caught Ariel sitting still for a minute. I think we're going to need a bigger barnacle............. :happydance: should have ordered the larger barnacles :mellow:

post-79867-0-07579200-1371128464_thumb.jpg

Ms Eitallent I thought you would get a kick out of this pic :) Finally caught Ariel sitting still for a minute. I think we're going to need a bigger barnacle............. :happydance: should have ordered the larger barnacles :mellow:

So cute, the little Suzy homemaker! :) Yes maybe you should get the bigger ones. I am thinking about that too. Seba has to wriggle to get in and out. :lol:

The barnacles for Seba are in a dim spot in the tank and she turns black when she is in her home.

Can you see her? Clicking on the picture makes it bigger because I linked it to an extra large image.

IMG_0008-X2.jpg

Can you see her here? :happy: The queen of camo.

IMG_0009-X2.jpg

Polarcollision

Shasta Daisies are my favorite flowers. It sounds like you & your wife have your priorities straight! :)

I used to have an elaborate, beautiful garden. Now I have a an easy garden. Low water, low maintenance plants and flowers. No more fighting Mother Nature. :)

This grows on my fence every year. I just water it and feed it when the rest of the garden gets something. Easy peasy.

IMG_0029-XL.jpg

Clemantis? My grandparents were gardeners like you. Roses and iris and flowering trees and vines everywhere. Just loved playing in their back yard as a kid. They had clemantis growing on trellis surrounding the back door - big pinks ones for grandma since that was her favorite color and deep purple ones similar to this one. Good memories. :-)

oldSWseamomma

So cute, the little Suzy homemaker! :) Yes maybe you should get the bigger ones. I am thinking about that too. Seba has to wriggle to get in and out. :lol:

The barnacles for Seba are in a dim spot in the tank and she turns black when she is in her home.

Can you see her? Clicking on the picture makes it bigger because I linked it to an extra large image.

IMG_0008-X2.jpg

Can you see her here? :happy: The queen of camo.

IMG_0009-X2.jpg

Yes I see her ! :wub: They are sooo cute! It was funny watching Ariel put herself in that barnacle - was like watching a fat lady try to pull up a girdle ! aahahahahaha ! Bless her heart :rolleyes: I will have to get a bigger one for sure - she didn't look happy. Mine are on the bottom too but the clusters I got were only 2 or 3 barnacles and very small - must get a larger one for them. I was reading that in the wild the male MMB takes care of the eggs and hatchlings :)

Clemantis? My grandparents were gardeners like you. Roses and iris and flowering trees and vines everywhere. Just loved playing in their back yard as a kid. They had clemantis growing on trellis surrounding the back door - big pinks ones for grandma since that was her favorite color and deep purple ones similar to this one. Good memories. :-)

Yes, you got it! :) This is the old fashion variety. I also have a big pink, purple striped one on the side gate. :) I loved my grandmother's garden too. She had bleeding hearts which do not survive this heat, but I have tried several times. I do grow a lot of the herbs she grew though. I have rosemary, basil, sage, parsley, thyme, lavender and several others. Good memories indeed. Sigh... why must we grow up and lose our dear loved ones?

Yes I see her ! :wub: They are sooo cute! It was funny watching Ariel put herself in that barnacle - was like watching a fat lady try to pull up a girdle ! aahahahahaha ! Bless her heart :rolleyes: I will have to get a bigger one for sure - she didn't look happy. Mine are on the bottom too but the clusters I got were only 2 or 3 barnacles and very small - must get a larger one for them. I was reading that in the wild the male MMB takes care of the eggs and hatchlings :)

If in the wild the males care for the eggs can it be that maybe Seba is really Scuttle? :wacko: I do not know who is who! LOL I suppose it does not matter, they are both cute!

My little Royal Gramma ate this morning!!! :happydance:

The three Blue Reef Chromis did not make it. They died that same night. :(

They acclimated fine but as the day wore on it was evident they were injured. They had scales missing and bruises started to show on their bodies. At first I was afraid the spottiness was a disease. The support team at saltwaterfish.com replied first thing in the morning to my email and confirmed what I saw was indeed bruising. The bags were only 1/3 filled with water. Is this normal? I do not recall noticing so little water in past fish deliveries.

IMG_0004_zps68f5e6db.jpg

You can see the purple bruises well in this picture. Sorry for the gruessome image but I feel it is important to share this so that everyone can learn from these incidents, especially newbies like me.

IMG_20130611_215354_265_zps90299e5f.jpg

Polarcollision

Yes, you got it! :) This is the old fashion variety. I also have a big pink, purple striped one on the side gate. :) I loved my grandmother's garden too. She had bleeding hearts which do not survive this heat, but I have tried several times. I do grow a lot of the herbs she grew though. I have rosemary, basil, sage, parsley, thyme, lavender and several others. Good memories indeed. Sigh... why must we grow up and lose our dear loved ones?

I know those pink and purple striped ones, too! They grew them on the side of the house near the road. Grandma and grandpa are in that flower you posted. I'm sure your loved ones are in there somewhere too. :-) Funny - I took a new jogging route past a yard with a HUGE white clemantis on Monday. Never realized they could grow so large. Have you seen that variety?

Simon and Garfunkle song virus invading my head after reading your herb list. I'm trying to grow rosemary, thyme, cilantro and thai basil for cooking. So far so good - huevos rancheros for lunch today, complete with home grown cilantro. Oh yeah. :-)

I know those pink and purple striped ones, too! They grew them on the side of the house near the road. Grandma and grandpa are in that flower you posted. I'm sure your loved ones are in there somewhere too. :-) Funny - I took a new jogging route past a yard with a HUGE white clemantis on Monday. Never realized they could grow so large. Have you seen that variety?

Simon and Garfunkle song virus invading my head after reading your herb list. I'm trying to grow rosemary, thyme, cilantro and thai basil for cooking. So far so good - huevos rancheros for lunch today, complete with home grown cilantro. Oh yeah. :-)

Yes I have seen that variety. It is gorgeous.

You are so right. My loved ones do live in my heart and every good thing I do is due to their loving influence.

I love that song. Thanks, now it is running in my head too. I will have to play to get it out! :lol:

I just love not having to pay supermarket prices for a sprig of an herb! Yay for gardens!

Have you tried growing bay leaf tree? They are beautiful, disease and pest resistant, super easy and semi-hardy. I dry the leaves and keep them in a sealed container. I love it for stew and soups.

Mr. Microscope

Sorry about your new chromis.

I'm glad you gramma is eating. Is it playing well with the others? I've heard they can be pretty territorial.

oldSWseamomma

My little Royal Gramma ate this morning!!! :happydance:

The three Blue Reef Chromis did not make it. They died that same night. :(

They acclimated fine but as the day wore on it was evident they were injured. They had scales missing and bruises started to show on their bodies. At first I was afraid the spottiness was a disease. The support team at saltwaterfish.com replied first thing in the morning to my email and confirmed what I saw was indeed bruising. The bags were only 1/3 filled with water. Is this normal? I do not recall noticing so little water in past fish deliveries.

IMG_0004_zps68f5e6db.jpg

You can see the purple bruises well in this picture. Sorry for the gruessome image but I feel it is important to share this so that everyone can learn from these incidents, especially newbies like me.

IMG_20130611_215354_265_zps90299e5f.jpg

Oh noooooooooooo ! :blush: I'm so sorry they didn't make it - I hope they replace them for you ?

Sorry about your new chromis.

I'm glad you gramma is eating. Is it playing well with the others? I've heard they can be pretty territorial.

Poor little guys really had a bumpy ride.

I am calling the Gramma Grace. It was floating belly up in the bag and it is a miracle that now is swimming and eating. She is very small (3/4") and has been well behaved so far. The little BNGs I transferred from the nano are curious about her and she has not gaped at them. so she seems to be okay for now. As she gets bigger, fully grown 3", and more adjusted to the tank things may change.

From liveaquaria.com

"Since it demonstrates territorial aggression towards its own kind, the Royal Gramma Basslet should be housed singly. However, most Royal Gramma Basslets are peaceful towards tankmates of similar size and temperament."

Oh noooooooooooo ! :blush: I'm so sorry they didn't make it - I hope they replace them for you ?

Yes they will give me a credit. I will not be buying fish from them again. I used them once before for my BNG and they were great. That was about eight months ago and staff comes and goes. I do not like the way the fish were packed this time. They are great for customer support though, I will give them that.

I do like the way Liveaquaria.com packs their fish. They use huge bags that are blacked out on the bottom to keep light from shocking the fish when taken out of the shipping container, lots of water, metal crimped ties for the bags, the works!

How do you like your lighting so far? Do you wish you had picked up one more?

Hello, notwithit.

Two are just right for the six foot length of the tank. The coverage is very even.

I actually might have caused a few corals to fade with it. :( I backed the intensity down from I think it was 70 ~ 75% to 40% for a new batch of corals and the existent zoas seemed happier.

Are you thinking of getting three? What is the size of your tank?

Beautiful tank! Excited to see it progressing!

Currently in the dreaming and accruing stage. My house isn't big enough for the tank I want, 150-180 gallon.

Beautiful tank! Excited to see it progressing!

Currently in the dreaming and accruing stage. My house isn't big enough for the tank I want, 150-180 gallon.

Thank you! :)

My house is just barely big enough for this tank! :lol:

I am thinking of getting rid of the dining set to make room for a tank viewing area. Too much? ;)

Also. On ordering fish online.. My one and only experience was with liveaquaria when it was ffexpress.com. All fish died within a week.. Made a big impact on me and now I only buy local.

Thank you! :)

My house is just barely big enough for this tank! :lol:

I am thinking of getting rid of the dining set to make room for a tank viewing area. Too much? ;)

LOL! Not for me.. For my wife... yes... I'd make my dining room a giant viewing room if I had my way.

Yes that makes sense. I have had bad luck with local fish also. It all seems to be a gamble. The local fish places here do not guarantee the salt water fish. The online merchants have always given credit when a fish dies within 14 days.

I had no idea when I started that one of the most difficult things to get to stay alive were the fish!

Yeah. Between gobies and firefish carpet surfing and poorly quarantined at the lfs fish...

Do the lights work well so far? I'm torn between the razors and the radions.

Also, does liveaquaria give you a discount on shipping for next time? Thats one of my biggest hang ups is that shipping costs as much as an extra fish in many cases.

Archived