Pod Your Reef

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

jedimasterben

They are on sale here at saltwaterfish.com ( I have ordered from them; they are good).

They're about 45 minutes away from me. :)

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Polarcollision

Shoot! I looked them up for you and found them. Then I forgot to post them! :lol:

Getting older is grand! ;)

The fat one you like is Plexaurella gorgonian aka. Purple candelabra. :)

I like this article about PS Gorgs from reefbuilders.com

They are on sale here at saltwaterfish.com ( I have ordered from them; they are good).

Sweet! adding them to the list. Looks like they have a 3-pack for the price of 2 as well.

Sweet! adding them to the list. Looks like they have a 3-pack for the price of 2 as well.

Excellent! Have you ordered them? Let me know how you like them. :)

I got more stuff today. :haha:

I am tanking pictures right now and will post them for ya! TTFN

While I was taking pictures I noticed that Seba, the Molly Miller Blenny has spawned. She has been in her barnacle more than usual and tonight she defended it ferociously from Scuttle. I took a peek when she left to eat and sure enough stuck to the wall inside the barnacle are rows of little eggs. :)

I got an order from Saltwaterfish.com

Blue Bubble Mushroom

Flower Anemone - Red

ECO-GORGONIAN ™ Purple Flat Blade

ECO-GORGONIAN ™ Corky Sea Finger

Cleaner Clam - Group of 5

3- Blue Reef Chromis

Royal Gramma

Here are the pictures in the order listed.

IMG_0019-XL.jpg

IMG_0022-XL.jpg

IMG_0026-XL.jpg

IMG_0008-XL.jpg

IMG_0029-XL.jpg

I could not get any pics of the new fish. But I did move one of the Blue Neon Gobys over from the nano. Here he is acclimating to his new home.

IMG_0001-XL.jpg

I made a mess putting things in the tank and did not clean the glass yet. :P I will be removing some corals from the commercial plugs and place them on my homemade plugs.

IMG_0041-XL.jpg

IMG_0049-XL.jpg

Congratulations grandma!!!

I've been a grand mother twice. Such a cool feeling!

Hee hee! I am looking forward to it. Hubby wants me to raise them. Everybody in the family wants to save the baby fish!

oldSWseamomma
While I was taking pictures I noticed that Seba, the Molly Miller Blenny has spawned. She has been in her barnacle more than usual and tonight she defended it ferociously from Scuttle. I took a peek when she left to eat and sure enough stuck to the wall inside the barnacle are rows of little eggs. :)

That is soooo Awesome!!!! Congrats :)

That is soooo Awesome!!!! Congrats :)

Thank you. I love it that the little fatty is spawning. :D

Hubby has been away and when he first saw her he exclaimed,"Look at that fat belly!" :lol:

oldSWseamomma

Thank you. I love it that the little fatty is spawning. :D

Hubby has been away and when he first saw her he exclaimed,"Look at that fat belly!" :lol:

Are you going to get a setup to raise the babies ? How excitin' !!! :naughtydance:

Are you going to get a setup to raise the babies ? How excitin' !!! :naughtydance:

I might have to or my sensitive, animal-loving family will be depressed for weeks! :lol:

I just do not know where to start! I guess I better start by googling!

Thank you, SWmomma.

Yes you have posted it and I read it. I will have to re-read because I have most-timers! :lol:

I appreciate all of your help and encouragement. :D

oldSWseamomma

You're welcome !

Okay the guy who started Sustainable Aquatics is only 5 minutes down the road from me ! EEE! But they started captive breeding MMB's and he has some advice on raising the babies in this article...

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/04/09/sustainable-aquatics-debuts-captivebred-allardi-clownfish-molly-miller-blennies/

This is sooooooo exciting !! It makes me want to put up a little hatchery tank for Ariel & Zeus ! ha! BTW Ariel has picked one of the barnacle clusters as her new hangout so I'll have to see if she will lay her eggs in there now instead of on my koralia PH. ha !

You're welcome !

Okay the guy who started Sustainable Aquatics is only 5 minutes down the road from me ! EEE! But they started captive breeding MMB's and he has some advice on raising the babies in this article...

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/04/09/sustainable-aquatics-debuts-captivebred-allardi-clownfish-molly-miller-blennies/

This is sooooooo exciting !! It makes me want to put up a little hatchery tank for Ariel & Zeus ! ha! BTW Ariel has picked one of the barnacle clusters as her new hangout so I'll have to see if she will lay her eggs in there now instead of on my koralia PH. ha !

Yay! Thanks for the link. I would love to see their operation.

I am sure Ariel will love it. Seba is a homebody now. :lol:

oldSWseamomma

Yay! Thanks for the link. I would love to see their operation.

I am sure Ariel will love it. Seba is a homebody now. :lol:

Well their facility is not open to the public and only because they want to keep it a clean - controlled environment which I can understand. They do supply their fish to many LFS and my clownfish & MMB's that I bought at my LFS came from there. Very healthy and of course captive bred. But it would be so fascinating to see all that they have accomplished.

I'll have to take a pic of Ariel in her barnacle - it's hard to catch her in the right moment.

Well their facility is not open to the public and only because they want to keep it a clean - controlled environment which I can understand. They do supply their fish to many LFS and my clownfish & MMB's that I bought at my LFS came from there. Very healthy and of course captive bred. But it would be so fascinating to see all that they have accomplished.

I'll have to take a pic of Ariel in her barnacle - it's hard to catch her in the right moment.

The ones I have were actually from a store that uses SA fish. I guess this is why they were so happy from them moment they were dropped in the tank. They were not scared. stressed or shy. I wish there were more fish breeding facilities.

I hope you can get a picture of Ariel. Here is what I captured on camera today.

IMG_0012-XL.jpg

omgomgomg congrats on the babies!!!!!! I love that captioned photo :lol:

I like this article about PS Gorgs from reefbuilders.com

Great article by Morgan :D

Something I noticed though...she mentions that photosynthetic gorgs can be stung by other corals. My toadstool leather and my green mushrooms both touch my gorgonians and no harm is done. The polyps just don't come out in those areas. No flesh is lost. Also, one of my gorgs touches a wall and it doesn't hurt it at all. I'm sure there are corals with more powerful stings that could bother a gorg, but leather and mushrooms do just fine with them.

Awesome new corals you just got, BTW :happydance:

Thank you, Gena.

I appreciate you mentioning the PS Gorgs and mushies. :)

Here is Gorg gorge.

The two Gorgs on the left are the new ones. The Ribbon Gorg has no polyp extension yet. We will see if it survived the journey.

IMG_0006-X2.jpg

Something I noticed though...she mentions that photosynthetic gorgs can be stung by other corals. My toadstool leather and my green mushrooms both touch my gorgonians and no harm is done. The polyps just don't come out in those areas. No flesh is lost. Also, one of my gorgs touches a wall and it doesn't hurt it at all. I'm sure there are corals with more powerful stings that could bother a gorg, but leather and mushrooms do just fine with them.

My gorg was recently stung when it fell on a trumpet and lost the flesh down to bare skeleton in that spot. I moved both so it can't happen again and the gorg seems to be doing fine now.

Thank you, Gena.

Here is Gorg gorge.

The two Gorgs on the left are the new ones. The Ribbon Gorg has no polyp extension yet. We will see if it survived the journey.

IMG_0006-X2.jpg

Looks like the same gorgs I have except I don't have a ribbon gorg yet. It's on my list :) As long as the flesh isn't flaking off, it will be fine. Even gorgs that start to lose flesh typically can recover. Nice gorge you have there :)

My gorg was recently stung when it fell on a trumpet and lost the flesh down to bare skeleton in that spot. I moved both so it can't happen again and the gorg seems to be doing fine now.

Great to know! I have trumpets too and will be sure to leave plenty of space between them and any gorgs!!!!!

Hi, Kismetsh. Thanks for sharing that info. Thank goodness it was only a minor incident.

I have not glued down my corals because I want to place them on my own plugs. Every once in a while the bulky Nerite snails disrupt my arrangements and I quickly rescue the frags. So far no injuries. I better get the gluing down started!

Looks like the same gorgs I have except I don't have a ribbon gorg yet. It's on my list :) As long as the flesh isn't flaking off, it will be fine. Even gorgs that start to lose flesh typically can recover. Nice gorge you have there :)

Great to know! I have trumpets too and will be sure to leave plenty of space between them and any gorgs!!!!!

Thanks, Gena! :happy:

I will keep an eye out for polyps in the ribbon Gorg. The Corky finger is so cute. Its polyps are so big it looks like curly hair.

It is a gorgeous Gorg gorge. Say that three times fast. ;)

Polarcollision

Thank you, Gena.

Here is Gorg gorge.

IMG_0006-X2.jpg

Ribbon gorgonians take a lot of punishment - they survived my first aquarium and that's saying a lot! :-) They just shed a thin skin like toadstools every now and then. Love your gorg gorge! This tank is really coming together and it's going to be amazing as it grows out. oh - I haven't bought the gorgs yet - they're for a tank upgrade I'm dreaming up.

Ribbon gorgonians take a lot of punishment - they survived my first aquarium and that's saying a lot! :-) They just shed a thin skin like toadstools every now and then. Love your gorg gorge! This tank is really coming together and it's going to be amazing as it grows out. oh - I haven't bought the gorgs yet - they're for a tank upgrade I'm dreaming up.

Thank you, Polarcollision.

I am glad to read how tough the ribbon Gorgs are. Thank goodness. I need tough fish and corals in my tank. Any thing too fragile may not survive the new-ness of the tank. :)

Oooh... I hope you dream upgrade becomes a reality.

Speaking of tough fish, the little Royal Gramma arrived floating belly up. I thought she (I say she because it is so small, pretty and wears eyeliner) was dead but she showed signs of life. I floated her bag in the dimly lit tank for 20 ~ 25 mins and started dripping tank water into the bag while it still floated in the tank. This way there is no risk of temperature shock. I just taped the bag to the top side of the tank so that it remained in the tank water.

She started getting stronger and swimming normally. I did this for six hours until she looked eager to get out of the bag. She let the other fish know who is boss right away; opening her mouth threateningly at any fish that got too curious or too close. She is still fine this today but I have not yet seen her eat.

Here she is:

IMG_0003-X2.jpg

IMG_0002-X2.jpg

For A Change

Before the triple digit heat kill all my garden blooms I have brought some in and want to share them with you.

IMG_0037-XL.jpg

IMG_0021-XL.jpg

IMG_0027-XL.jpg

IMG_0024-XL.jpg

IMG_0026-XL.jpg

IMG_0035-XL.jpg

IMG_0032-XL.jpg

IMG_0020-XL.jpg

IMG_0017-XL.jpg

IMG_0014-XL.jpg

Archived